Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Voided Warranty :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voided Warranty :(

So I'm at the dealer with an electrical / issue and the service rep comes out and says I voided the drivetrain warranty by installing shorties and an Air Raid. Has anyone ever had this happen? They are still troubleshooting.
UPDATE:
The dealer charged me an hour labor. They said # 4 and # 7 plug wires were loose and since I put headers and a CAI, that voids the drivetrain warranty. The service manager told me that even an aftermarket filter that is not a GM recommended part will void the warranty. The slip says there were no miss codes or engine light. WTF... Either this dealer is just an A$$ or Chevy is getting nitpicky.

Last edited by rijrunr; 10-15-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-15-2014, 08:43 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was told anything changed before cats on exhaust system would void warranty. Cai I'm not sure on - my brother in law has one on his jeep and they gave him a hard time about it when his lifters failed/calapsed
Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Bit
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That dealer is just being an a$$. They have to prove the part you installed actally caused a failure. I see CAI everyday at the dealer and unless the filter is just horribly dirty and the motor is toasted nothing is ever said.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
I was told anything changed before cats on exhaust system would void warranty. Cai I'm not sure on - my brother in law has one on his jeep and they gave him a hard time about it when his lifters failed/calapsed
I thought that as long as you didn't mess with the cats and O2 sensors, the warranty would still be OK. I didn't expect them do make a deal out of the CAI and shorties. Shorties are not that big of a deal as far as aftermarket installations. Your just basically replacing and factory manifold with an aftermarket. The ECM will adjust to the intake air /exhaust flow change.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my Silverado, my dealer was great. Never gave me any problems. Longtubes, no cats, cold air intake, custom tune. They never said a word, except to tell me that the truck sounded great. LOL Now the dodge dealer where my wife bought her car are getting worse. Our old charger had straight pipes and tuner, never said a word. Our new charger, they warned her that any mods would void warranty, and I know there is a law stating that they cant do that unless they prove the part caused the failure. We planned on leaving it stock anyway LOL (for now)
Old 10-15-2014, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

So I wonder now, if a different dealer will do warranty work on it? Or, is it "Labeled" in their database system as voided warranty.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

it all depends on the problem at hand. if your transmission blows up and you have an aftermarket filter....that will not void the warranty. if your low on compression and have an aftermarket filter, there is a valid cause to believe that the filter let trash in that killed the engine. your muffler swap shouldnt affect the rear end gear warranty...but a blown g80 with 35" tires can definately void that part of your warranty. get the drift?

if the actual cause of your engine problem was loose plug wires, they can definately blame the manifolds because you must remove the plug wires to install the shorties. 1 hr labor isnt bad at all. clean your wound and move on IMO.

I doubt they even contacted GM to try and claim warranty. they knew GM would decline and just told you up front. if it is labled, you can fight it and easily win.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

I called another dealer I have been to and their service dept said as long as the cats and O2's are in place from the factory, there is no reason to void the warranty. He said shorties are OK as long as it is a direct bolt on replacement of the manifolds with no other modifications to the front end exhaust. As mentioned above, The rep basically said it would have to be something major and justified. It sounds like the other dealer was not being customer friendly and I can write it off as never go back to that dealer...
Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Bit
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM me the full VIN and will check for a warranty block.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rijrunr
I called another dealer I have been to and their service dept said as long as the cats and O2's are in place from the factory, there is no reason to void the warranty. He said shorties are OK as long as it is a direct bolt on replacement of the manifolds with no other modifications to the front end exhaust. As mentioned above, The rep basically said it would have to be something major and justified. It sounds like the other dealer was not being customer friendly and I can write it off as never go back to that dealer...
from the manufactorer side, i think the original dealer did the right thing. the fact that you removed the plug wires to put on the headers makes you responsible for not having the plug wires fully seated when re-installed. warranty claims are not free to a manufactorer. the dealership repairs the vehicle and sends a bill to GM. in this case, the dealer protected GM from having to pay out a claim that they didnt owe. GM should not owe the dealership any money for fixing your mistake.

Quick Reply: Voided Warranty :(