Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Voided Warranty :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a valid point, but it can also goes the other way.

The dealer charges the consumer for their time, but when someone takes off work to get recalls fixed, GM doesn't pay lost wages because of their mistake. After all, the consumer just paid anywhere from 20-80 Thousand dollars for their vehicle. Should the consumer get cost consideration for GM's mistake? What about taking a vehicle in over and over to have the dealers service department keep saying there is nothing wrong, but in the end, there was an issue... Should the dealer cover your lost time because they cannot diagnose the problem?

IMO, I think it's a give and take for balanced customer service.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:44 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rijrunr

IMO, I think it's a give and take for balanced customer service.
Yeah, as long as it ends in your favor, right?

Listen man, you caused your own grief here. You (or your installer) caused the problem. Own up to it & take care of the good folks at the dealership who fixed your mistake. They did their job, they deserve to be paid.

As to your "lost time" claims for recall work, etc, GM dealers have come a long ways to make it easier for you to bring in your vehicle. Most have extended their hours of operation, including weekends. They have Early Bird drop boxes & can make arrangements for after-hours pickup. They offer shuttle services to drop you off at work, and even pick you up later when they are finished. And if they can't finish the repairs in one day, GM will pay for a rental car. They are doing a lot to take good care of you. But some people are just never happy.

Forgive me if that sounds like a RANT. I worked in GM dealerships for 14 years, so this subject hit a little "close to home", if you know what I mean. I always worked my hardest to have happy customers, my bonus depended on it. Warranty fraud will get you fired, and possibly jail time too. Inevitably, somebody would get angry and start yelling at me, or tell me about how GM owes them for their time and troubles(or whatever else they wanted).

Well, if that's going to be your attitude towards your dealer, don't be surprised when they don't care if you take your business elsewhere. Nobody enjoys dealing with crap like that. Maybe that's why they told you your warranty was voided.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with TXSilverado on this one, and the fact that I was a tech for some years.

You made a mistake, and you owe diag... lesson learned. Just image how much B/S the tech went though just on your vehicle alone, time invested is more than your $90 fee, with proof and documentation that GM wants, plus updating the service advisor, among reporting his findings to his shop foreman then up the management chain I would bet the service director had the final say.

example/history lesson,
I wouldn't even touch vehicles out of factory warranty, or "CP"/customer pay that needed any spark plug or 2nd ignition work done unless the service advisers sold plug wires as it was going to misfire and come back b/c, 1. the wires & system are sensitive on these newer engines, and 2. over time the wires become brittle and break down and create voltage leaks, which would lead to a cylinder misfire.

I would like to mention customer returns, known in the business as a "CR"/client return, meaning the tech got to do it for free the 2nd time around (this would mostly stem from service advisor/s b/c they would flag it as a CR so they didn't have to charge you again until confirmed responsible party for the failure), plus the shop would back flag you from the previous repair. By the end you did the diag... repair twice for free. Most tech's will do everything in their power to keep CR's from happening.

I would use Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, if they threaten to void your warranty.
To void your new vehicle warranty not unless you damaged the powertrain. From my personal experience those misfires should not have caused permanent damage. Keep in mind you could have loaded your 02's and cats with raw fuel, which can lead to other & additional failures. so many what if's!

and GM to pay for your time on recalls, come on!

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 10-15-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

You guys missed my point. I do not have an issue with the charge, my issue is the dealer stating that my entire warranty is void over a CAI and shorties. I was just playing devils advocate on TX's comments. You are right that this dealer is disgruntled with me, because I bought this same exact VIN number for a few thousand dollars less from the dealer where I used to live. That dealer even delivered the truck to my house. I wish they were closer because they are great. The Chevy services here are not like other areas. No extended hours, no weekends, no shuttle service... Although, the dealer I called today did recall work not long ago and they seem to be a descent dealer to deal with. They are only about 30-35 miles away, so somewhat close.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Check the Magnusson Moss act. Ask the dealer to put in writing. They are just being a d1(k!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts

I seriously doubt they mentioned your warranty to GM or voided anything. it's the big scarry terminology they can use to scare a customer into submission. there is most definitely differences in customer service between dealerships, and dealerships compete within themselves to generate happy customers (aka revenue)

think of dealers as distributors of products and services for GM. they also provide their own services that does not involve GM. Unfortunately being the "faces" of GM, they can tarnish the reputation of other dealerships and GM. the #1 priority in a manufacturers eyes is your safety and keeping you as a customer. half of the recalls that you're complaining about are voluntary recalls that were not imposed by the NHTSA. they are manufacturer voluntary recalls because they see a minor issue that could POSSIBLY cause a consumer to be unhappy, or unsafe. if you don't want to take advantage of their generosity, don't waste your time going into the dealership to have it serviced
Old 10-16-2014, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

I would also like to chime in on this, you stated "You are right that this dealer is disgruntled with me, because I bought this same exact VIN number for a few thousand dollars less from the dealer where I used to live. " So you bought a truck from another dealer with the same vin? For that to be so, it would have had to have been dealer traded to the other dealer then sold to you. From my experience, a dealer will not dealer trade a vehicle if it is currently being looked at by a customer. Also, working in service, I can tell you, I don't know whats going on in sales, neither do they know whats going on in service. What a lot of people don't realize is dealerships are run as three businesses, sales service and parts.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:42 PM

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by stroked 4.8L
I would also like to chime in on this, you stated "You are right that this dealer is disgruntled with me, because I bought this same exact VIN number for a few thousand dollars less from the dealer where I used to live. " So you bought a truck from another dealer with the same vin? For that to be so, it would have had to have been dealer traded to the other dealer then sold to you. From my experience, a dealer will not dealer trade a vehicle if it is currently being looked at by a customer. Also, working in service, I can tell you, I don't know whats going on in sales, neither do they know whats going on in service. What a lot of people don't realize is dealerships are run as three businesses, sales service and parts.
dealerships will do trades within themselves as long as the dealers have no pending sales on that vehicle. parts and service never know the sales price, or what dealership the car even originated from. the only thing they can see is if other dealerships performed any warranty work. in my experience, dealers cannot see sales prices from other dealerships. I don't work for GM though, so their processes could be different (but I doubt it).
Old 10-16-2014, 07:51 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The original selling dealer is listed, but not the selling price.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plug wires are a HUGE problem on the newer trucks, and they know it.

Quick Reply: Voided Warranty :(