JMBLOWNWS6 runs em (14 psi)
pro stock john runs 'em (21 psi)
mwalls runs 'em with a 100 shot
smokinhawk runs 'em
1320 runs 'em
kp runs them
frost runs 'em
Slowhawk recommends them and uses 'em in 18psi daily drivers
I think W2W recommends them as well (but don't actually remember straight off).
Talk about a proof by counter-example...

The key is ARP L19 studs and 15 extra ft/lbs on them.

I've never heard anyone say the MLS blow out with boost at 15psi. In fact, I just did some searching on LS1Tech to see what you could be talking about and can't find a single thread -- but I did find a thread were I guy mentions blowing the titans and replacing with MLS. Plenty of problems relating to cometics and the pristine mating surface, but cometics are not MLS -- they just copied the technology. I'm not sure where you got the info about the titans (I'd love to see why they are the best thing going) or the MLS being weak, but just take a look at that list above and ask yourself if there is a similar list for titans.

I've said it before... My MLS gaskets are 4.030.

If you wanna run titans, do it, but don't spread bad info to justify it brotha.

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 12-22-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Need More N2O Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run mls gaskets on my 408 with a 100shot of n2o. and my bore is 4.030 and i havn't had a problem yet.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the gasket info, looking for a set of 243's now so I can change to mls gaskets.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Y2khawk (aka Harlan) runs MLS (30 psi)
Parish ran MLS (~24psi) or maybe cometics at one point
I run MLS (16psi max so far)
twinturboce runs them (28 psi)
93formto98T/A runs em (21 psi)
JMBLOWNWS6 runs em (14 psi)
pro stock john runs 'em (21 psi)
smokinhawk runs 'em
1320 runs 'em
kp runs them
frost runs 'em
Slowhawk recommends them and uses 'em in 18psi daily drivers
I think W2W recommends them as well (but don't actually remember straight off).
Talk about a proof by counter-example...

The key is ARP L19 studs and 15 extra ft/lbs on them.

I've never heard anyone say the MLS blow out with boost at 15psi. In fact, I just did some searching on LS1Tech to see what you could be talking about and can't find a single thread -- but I did find a thread were I guy mentions blowing the titans and replacing with MLS. Plenty of problems relating to cometics and the pristine mating surface, but cometics are not MLS -- they just copied the technology. I'm not sure where you got the info about the titans (I'd love to see why they are the best thing going) or the MLS being weak, but just take a look at that list above and ask yourself if there is a similar list for titans.

If you wanna run titans, do it, but don't spread bad info to justify it brotha.
Im not trying to start a pissing match with you but Parish is NOT running MLS gaskets he is running the SCE ICS Titans also, makes me wonder if you know about the other peoples setups too for sure.
Check out his ebay auction under the engine specs, he has been running them for quite a while
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250054029838
Here is a thread I started where only one guy in the thread posted about blowing a stock gasket but it was a stocker and only at 7psi.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571104
Also why would the aftermarket even bother making "better" gaskets if the stockers a great for even high hp apps?
If you notice on alot of the threads about headgaskets, the stockers arent very good about sealing off the combustion chamber, alot of the deck surface around the CC is black which to some extent is normal but not in excess like some of the pics are shown.
For some reason right now when I search on tech it just goes to a blank screen and says done at the bottom. I dont doubt stockers work well, in fact I have seen them work well, in many high hp nitrous motors but it seems there is a limit to how far they can go.

Guess the main question is, why is there an aftermarket for Gen III/IV headgaskets if you can push 30psi safely on them?

Not that Im trying to push that much but I have bad luck and am willing to do whatever I can to keep from having to tear this damn motor down again.

Im willing to bet alot of these guys you are naming are running aftermarket heads to with ALOT hticker deck then stock heads, that plays a HUGE role in if the cylinders will seal or not. I dont have the money to spring for good heads right now.

Just because you named off some people that use them(some of which it seems you are wrong on) doesnt mean there arent alot that dont get away with it. I have studs and plan on over tq'ing them some, rest assured I have done my research on this and am not talking out of my ***. In the end its left up to you in the end on what you want to run.

I found some .050 on summit so that should get me a pretty good compromise in thickness only problem is they wont even ship till 1/6
Old 12-22-2006, 04:14 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you want to base your decision on one guy blowing a head gasket... https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ht=head+gasket with titans and thick deck heads no less

Notice I said "ran" next to Jim's name. I remember talking to him back when he had stock heads about the MLS. I believe he switched to titans when he put on the AFRs.

Here's some links for you:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=MLS+boost (frost, twntrboce, kp)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=MLS+boost (frost, 777, 93formto98T/A, JMBLOWNWS6, 1320, Slowhawk, y2khawk, F8LWS6, Bad30th -- W2W built, Pro Stock John, A DEE O, 67Firebird455)

I saw some AFRs, but mostly ported 6.0L heads.

Believe what you like, I'm just telling you how it is.

Things to remember: head gaskets pop for lots of reasons -- like KR... in the thread you posted there is one guy saying he blew a hg at 7psi (with no other info) and another saying he runs 14-15psi. I think it's safe to assume the 7psi guy has something he isn't telling you. I ran 7.5psi with no intercooler and MLS were fine when I built my motor.

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 12-22-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize that, Im hoping that by going with the Titans it will net me a little bigger "safety net" also, since Im going to try and tune this thing myself after Allen gets it dialed in fairly close. I know KR/detonation is the #1 killer of headgaskets and ring lands. Like I said I dont doubt people get away with it but when you have some free time and the search button is working on tech look over in the internal and fi section. I agree that alot of it is from KR but also as you know alot of things can cause it and it would be nice to have that extra "cushion" there. Either way they are ordered and they should be here mid next month. Hope you get your brake situation lined out so I can do my swap
Old 12-22-2006, 04:30 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Dude I did that search today -- no threads Post a link when you find one, until then...

Brakes are handled (I hope for real this time hehe) -- custom rotors about $300-400 each.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:36 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Er... Just noticed I'm a liar.

MLS = 4.040"
Old 12-22-2006, 06:04 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran what my motor builder recomended. it has been a long time since i ran the stock mls and i have been running the ics for all of this year. i did push one out but that is due to tuning i think. i am probably at the limit of my fuel and my fuel system.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:06 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Er... Just noticed I'm a liar.

MLS = 4.040"
I measured my stock 6L MLS replacement gaskets @ 4.045

Quick Reply: .040 or .054 Headgasket thickness?