INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

.040 or .054 Headgasket thickness?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I go back to a semi-reasonable setup for DD duty a while from now Ill probably go stock MLS, just right now iwth me being a tuning newb I want the biggest cushion I can get and the Titans are alot better gasket.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:09 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parish8
i ran what my motor builder recomended. it has been a long time since i ran the stock mls and i have been running the ics for all of this year. i did push one out but that is due to tuning i think. i am probably at the limit of my fuel and my fuel system.

hehe somehow I'd missed the whole switch to AFRs too

That was my point to 1slow -- the tuning / fueling thing can destroy any gasket on any setup -- thick deck, over torqued, concrete gaskets or not.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:14 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
... and the Titans are alot better gasket.
And I still want to know why you say that? Post some reasoning.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
And I still want to know why you say that? Post some reasoning.
go to their website and look at how they are built
Old 12-22-2006, 06:19 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

So far the only thing I see that's interesting is a sandwiched o-ring. Other than that it just looks like a solid copper gasket.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:24 PM

Oh dear god dude get off it. It is very obvious that these headgaskets are made out of much better material, more/better technology, sandwiched stainless o-ring to seal the combustion chambers, rubber o-ring seals around water jackets, etc, etc, etc, with that said Im done with this thread, IMO and many others these are better gaskets, I bought them, Im going to use them, the ******* end.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:25 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only thing i can say about them is last year when i blew my head gasket the mls gasket turned the escaping a/f into a blow torch and took out my head and block. i dont think the copper ones would do that but who knows. this time i pushed out the head gasket it really was like a push the gasket was still in good shape but pushed out about 1/4" toward the exhaust manifold.

i like the copper gaskets. they cost over $200 for the set and there is no good evidence that they are worth the extra cost but i run them anyways. i should spend my money on a better fuel system and some c16.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:35 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by parish8
the only thing i can say about them is last year when i blew my head gasket the mls gasket turned the escaping a/f into a blow torch and took out my head and block. i dont think the copper ones would do that but who knows. this time i pushed out the head gasket it really was like a push the gasket was still in good shape but pushed out about 1/4" toward the exhaust manifold.

i like the copper gaskets. they cost over $200 for the set and there is no good evidence that they are worth the extra cost but i run them anyways. i should spend my money on a better fuel system and some c16.
Now that's a reason I can buy into. I think they are unlikely to shred (like any other solid copper gasket and like most situations with MLS gaskets), and if they do, you're screwed already. I'm not sure how effective the sandwiched wire ring would be -- seems like as malleable as copper is that torqueing the heads would just squeeze the copper around the ring. Then again, an o-ring is an o-ring.

If they were reasonably priced I might try 'em next time I needed gaskets, but the quote I saw was $260 I guess an alternative is the SSCs but I couldn't find pricing on those. I think my MLS were $68 2 years ago.

So Jim, are you overtorqueing with the ICS gaskets? Did you have to do a silicon bead around the fluid channels?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:45 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Oh dear god dude get off it. It is very obvious that these headgaskets are made out of much better material, more/better technology, sandwiched stainless o-ring to seal the combustion chambers, rubber o-ring seals around water jackets, etc, etc, etc, with that said Im done with this thread, IMO and many others these are better gaskets, I bought them, Im going to use them, the ******* end.

I wasn't arguing with you, Skippy, I was asking WHY you thought they were so good...

Scroll back up to where you started this discussion with your unfounded BS about MLS gaskets being so weak and these ICE's being so superior and count how many times I asked you why you thought that, or to post a link or two. Maybe next time you could just stick to *facts* rather than posting things you *think* you know, as it seems to me that you don't actually know whether these are better than MLS or not. Not all of us just buy into "because I said so".
Old 12-22-2006, 06:51 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no silicone or sealer. just toss them in and run em. i never did retorque them, it does recomend doing that.

i probably wont push things too hard next year. work on traction and droping weight but keep my power level about the same. i can't wait till that new gm block and some heads hit the market. 30+psi here i come!!

Quick Reply: .040 or .054 Headgasket thickness?