INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

09 5.3l cam swap, afm & vvt delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

2-3 isnt going to be as harsh as the 1-2 assuming you have a 4l60 trans... A set of tract bars would help with tthe traction as well as some new tires, i put one new bfg on my truck and it made a world of difference along with the new shocks!!
Old 06-11-2016, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 6l80. Definitely okay with the firmness of the shifts it's just weird my engine seems to cut out. Maybe it's not though. There alot if weird exhaust noises my pickup makes now with the long tubes and lack of cats lol. On other shift it kind of sounds like a queen hahaha! Like a puff of air sound you know?

And I'm looking at getting Terra grapplers or the new ridge grappler once it comes out. I definitely need new shocks. Rear end sags like a ************. I'm getting helper springs put on tomorrow and one of these weekends me and a buddy are going to build traction bars for it. My springs are weak and I think I've got axle wrap because of it..
Old 06-11-2016, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Probably have axle wrap to begin with, as long and soft as the springs are its kinda par for the course....
Old 06-11-2016, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

ya for sure. i had planned on traction bars for a while now, just havnt been too serious until now. nothing too crazy just a couple brackets and a thick rod with heim joints.

I am shopping around for N20 kits now for the drags coming up in mid july. Will definitely need them then. Just not too familiar with nitrous and how much i can run. Going to make a thread in that sub section in a bit here.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

With the 6l80 it may be a leaking 3-5-R drum or a weak seal on the piston, or it could just need somemore tuning they have ridiculous amounts of torque management in place...i cant wait to get thr 6l80 built and in my yukon.... I really like the way they shift... And the 4.06 1st is a beast, can only imagine what it will be like with a set of 3.73s behind it!!! Thinking about using a converter out of a caprice or camaro, thinking the extra weight of truck would make converter a little looser although i may be thinking that backwards...

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 06-11-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not much on n2o myself, if i end up with any sort of power adder it will be a sc!! Depending on length you need you may be able to get a set of tractor top links and make your traction bars.... Especially if you arent lifted!!! Ive seen the top links in up to either 42 or 48"
Old 06-11-2016, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Thats a damn good idea with the top links, im going to stop into john deere to see if they have anything laying around. or just go to tractor supply company and buy some.

BUT, i guess i am doing a procharger.. a guy from my home town is selling his setup from his 08 4.8l. So i have a question, what is best way to go at this? What should i have for injectors? i think my stock flex fuel injectors flow like 36, is that right? which should i get? also as far as intake manifolds go, should i port mine or get a fast with a 102mm?
Old 06-11-2016, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 563 Likes on 485 Posts

Minimum of 50-60lbs injectors at least.

Stock flex fuel pump is good for 500-600hp give or take.

Stock intake is better than the fast intake. Spending over $1,000 bucks for a piece of plastic is just absurb for the minimal gains you'd see.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Got the idea for the top links from a couple threads ive seen on here and other forums, when i was searching for info on traction bars, where they made them out of extended top links....already have the heim joints and arequite solidto begin with.... Tractor supply would be less expensive thats where i saw the longer ones anyway!!! May want to check northen tool, they carry a lot of tractor parts!!!

Alot of sc/procharger setups i have seen are running closer to 80lb injectors.... And as far as the intake i wholeheartedly agree with ffdp on the stock intake, i was trying to get a fast intake when i built my truck and valled fast as to why they didnt make one for the rectangular port trucks they said they dont have an intake period for the 07-up trucks because they cant improve on the flow over the stock intakes.....
Old 06-12-2016, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Maybe i will buy a spare intake manifold and try to smooth it out, Just hate how ugly it is and I would like to take my engine cover off.

Didnt get to TSC today unfortunately, my little one isnt feeling good. But i called and they have one there that extends to 32". I was thinking making it close to 45" or a little longer.

Would there be a problem with welding heavy duty brackets onto the bottom of the ubolt plate and then going straight to the frame from there? i havnt looked out on my pickup yet but theres a guy online with a duramax that he had done it to. I do kind of want them showing as well. I want them straight as possible so i will be making a sort of drop bracket off the frame

Quick Reply: 09 5.3l cam swap, afm & vvt delete