INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

1000 HP/Torque. What will it take.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also would like to stick with my Dart Pro 1 225 heads and save that couple/three thousand. I don't think my heads are good on any but 5.3 and 6.0 blocks so maybe I'd better confine myself to 408, 410 c.i.

Are my heads usable on a LQ9 based 427? I need to check with ERL (I think that's who I saw in GMHTP mag that does sleeving.) to see what sleeved blocks cost.

And the research goes on. What else is a guy supposed to do when the temp has been below 25 for weeks?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those heads will work with all GM casting LS based motors I believe.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Those heads will work with all GM casting LS based motors I believe.
My Dart's are usable on an LSX block?

That sounds interesting. An LSX 376 based, F series Procharger blown, engine sounds hairy!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimS
My Dart's are usable on an LSX block?

That sounds interesting. An LSX 376 based, F series Procharger blown, engine sounds hairy!
from what i know the only down fall to the LSX 376 is the rods. as far as boost goes. im pretty sure the are a powered rod wish is weaker than others. not saying you couldn't use boost on them. i just don't think you will get a 1000 out of them.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will 390 ci, my Dart Pro1 225 heads, the right cam, a Procharger F1A, FAST 102 mm intake, git'r done... 1000 hp at the flex plate... maybe 1000 hp at the wheels with a 150 shot of nitrous?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm late to this party, but...I am guessing that if you get a knowledgable shop to install a 150 shot on your truck and tune it accordingly (I know you want to learn to tune yourself, but N20 can do nasty things if not tuned properly) anyway-get it set up with a wot switch and whack it on the street and you will be surprised with how little traction you can get, but also the get up and go when you get that figured out.

You may want to do that first. Then figure out how to get it to the ground. Another 150hp will be hard to get hooked up in street trim. Once you get that much power to the ground you may find that it's plenty for what you want to do. Your 4.10's will shift pretty quick with the giggle juice.

Once you've got all that accomplished, you may find that getting 500-600 ponies to the pavement is a trick, let alone 1000, and although not being able to brag about 1000hp, you MAY get enough traction to feel some g's, where with the 1000hp thing...well it would be the ****'s to spend over $15k and brag about 1000hp, but have your truck slower then it is now because you can only go about half throttle without blowing off the tires.

Is your real goal having a dependable truck that hauls your *** and it's own when you punch it, gets reasonable fuel economy, and doesn't break stuff every week, or bragging about having 1000 ponies under the hood?

Not trying to be a smart ***. You've got me by 10 years or so, but I spent a butt load of money getting a 67 camaro to run in the 9's, cruise the street and rock at the road course with a 750hp bbc and another 150 shot for the dragstrip and a 5500lb truck to run low 12's with a turbo. Not cheap.

To build a setup with 1000hp and then a drive train and suspension to handle it and not be broke down on a regular basis...me thinks you are looking closer to $20k then $10K. At least that's what my empty wallet's been telling me. I think you'd be thrilled to death to get that 150 shot to hook, and then putz on the stock engine until you decide to mash it again. Then...if that's not enough, at least you have an idea of what it takes to get traction and what that cost...then onto some serious rubber/suspension mods and coin to go further.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dbs1
I'm late to this party, but...I am guessing that if you get a knowledgable shop to install a 150 shot on your truck and tune it accordingly (I know you want to learn to tune yourself, but N20 can do nasty things if not tuned properly) anyway-get it set up with a wot switch and whack it on the street and you will be surprised with how little traction you can get, but also the get up and go when you get that figured out.

You may want to do that first. Then figure out how to get it to the ground. Another 150hp will be hard to get hooked up in street trim. Once you get that much power to the ground you may find that it's plenty for what you want to do. Your 4.10's will shift pretty quick with the giggle juice.

Once you've got all that accomplished, you may find that getting 500-600 ponies to the pavement is a trick, let alone 1000, and although not being able to brag about 1000hp, you MAY get enough traction to feel some g's, where with the 1000hp thing...well it would be the ****'s to spend over $15k and brag about 1000hp, but have your truck slower then it is now because you can only go about half throttle without blowing off the tires.

Is your real goal having a dependable truck that hauls your *** and it's own when you punch it, gets reasonable fuel economy, and doesn't break stuff every week, or bragging about having 1000 ponies under the hood?

Not trying to be a smart ***. You've got me by 10 years or so, but I spent a butt load of money getting a 67 camaro to run in the 9's, cruise the street and rock at the road course with a 750hp bbc and another 150 shot for the dragstrip and a 5500lb truck to run low 12's with a turbo. Not cheap.

To build a setup with 1000hp and then a drive train and suspension to handle it and not be broke down on a regular basis...me thinks you are looking closer to $20k then $10K. At least that's what my empty wallet's been telling me. I think you'd be thrilled to death to get that 150 shot to hook, and then putz on the stock engine until you decide to mash it again. Then...if that's not enough, at least you have an idea of what it takes to get traction and what that cost...then onto some serious rubber/suspension mods and coin to go further.
Late but on the money.

I'm past the urge and will probably just stick with the 5.3 and a 150 shot.

Of course the 18" of snow that's coming down as I speak, with 30 to 45 mph winds and a low of -10 tomorrow night might have something to do with my lack of concern about the truck right now. It's at rest in the garage where it belongs.

Thanks very much for a thoughtful and respectful post which provided me with the benefit of your experience. I appreciate your help.

Regards, Jim