1000 HP/Torque. What will it take.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM
makes children cry

Received 406 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by DrX
They would have needed 2 TVS2300s.
Originally Posted by 1989k1500
Yea Im putting a 228r in my 5.3 with some long tubes. Shooting for about 750rwhp.
well i never said that's what they actually did - just some preliminary ideas they were throwing around. last i actually saw the car, they had most of the long block installed & exhaust. they'd just got done with the suspension & were waiting on the wide body.

edit: so i just called them about some stuff for my car & asked about the camaro. they're going with a procharger, but still waiting on the widebody to be be fabricated. he didn't mention any numbers
Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimS
I've heard it said that one down side to turbo's is that they tend to be high maintenance. What maintenance do they require?
Once properly set up, Really shouldnt be any extra. There may be several issues that arise when you first get the set up going. Like right now im having some issues that appear to be PCV related, but results with pouring smoke outta the exhaust.

I knew twin superchargers were popular on boats. I guess I missed the dual radix avalanche tho.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Launching!

The shop that I have work on my truck has a 427 thats making 900hp N/A and even more with nitrous. The question really is how much do you want to spend? You can get to 1000hp/trq theres just a few different ways to get there. Easiest is a motor setup for
boost and a huge turbo.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Jim, why 1000hp? Just for conversation sakes and maybe I'm being a little presumptuous......but I'm probably at 600-650rwhp in my heavy 2wd HD and it was honestly more fun to drive when it made 430rwhp.....I just can't hook anywhere....
what is your total plan?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moregrip
Jim, why 1000hp? Just for conversation sakes and maybe I'm being a little presumptuous......but I'm probably at 600-650rwhp in my heavy 2wd HD and it was honestly more fun to drive when it made 430rwhp.....I just can't hook anywhere....
what is your total plan?
I agree completely. Dont get to number thirsty and chase dyno numbers
Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't speak for the OP, but I set the 1000 hp goal when I was choosing a head/cam/intake set up for my lifted "78 F-150. Being a big heavy off road truck I had to keep everything mild to retain low end torque. That made me want to get the biggest cam, highest rise intake, and everything that goes with it. 1000 hp I can only imagin is virtualy imposible to drive on the street. But I to build then try to tame it is the goal for me.

1000 hp was rather dificult to make 10-12 years ago when I set the goal. Now it isn't too hard. It is costly but it is like running 10s anymore... Not nearly as impressive as it used to be. I don't have either of those goals met yet so don't mean to sound like they are every day. They are just much more common then the were a few years ago.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moregrip
what is your total plan?
1000 hp because it sounded like big fun! Total plan?? Experience 8 G's!!! of head snapping torque.

But, in tandem with what you are advising (and I appreciate the well-intentioned advice garnered from your experiences), I watched DrX's videos of "twins" and it sounded very much like every time he gave it any amount of throttle it was breaking the tires loose. I can't help but like that idea. I love the power! But.. it might not prove to be so much fun in everyday practice.

So.... I'm rethinking what I want to do and thinking maybe just do a 100 shot of nitrous.. for more fun, or maybe leave it as it is, or maybe do a 402/408/415 with a TVS2300/Procharger/Whipple (like Whitt1 used to run?) or ??????????? Lots of options available. It seems clear that the 100 shot would be the cheapest.

A couple years back I was comparing equipment with others who had dyno'd their trucks and if memory serves it would seem that I'm currently putting down about 450 to 500 hp at the wheels... with the heads/cam/methanol and the 15 pds of boost I'm getting from the 2.8" pulley.

I love torque, I don't care about speed... 100 is fast enough for me. That's why I put in the 4:56 rear.. and my current thinking is that I need to either return to my old 3:73 or go to a 4:10, as I'm through low gear as soon as I hit the throttle.. as things are now.

I'm not going to the track and I'm not racing. I guess, truth being told, the 1000 hp thing is about bragging rights, a pissing contest, an ego thing.. who's got the "swinging-est hang-ous", kind of thing. Truth is... I have a teeeny-tiny pecker and hp helps make up for it.

Back to the feel of power/torque..... I'm wondering if a 100 shot of nitrous and a higher gear would give me about the same amount of head-snapping power and the very real upside would be I'd accomplish a lower crusing rpm when I take to the interstate highway.

As you know, my knowledge/experience is limited and I appreciate and NEED experienced advice. How difficult is it to safely tune for a shot of nitrous? From what I've read in the past it can be treacherous.

Last edited by JimS; 01-07-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Guys run 100 shots all the time on stock tuning
Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stock48
With the right blower it wouldn't be a problem.
The times in my sig are from a factory Iron block 370, hand ported 317 heads, PT88, and NO bottle.
I meant to say when I saw your post way back in the beginning of this thread that the times in your sig are just DAMMED IMPRESSIVE!! My lead sled weighs in at 5290 with me in it... but, I've lost 90 lbs this year so that'll help!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think a 1000rwhp is sweet brother.....and maybe I'm getting old.....because 100mph is just about enough for me too.....Right now you are at the power level I was most happy with on the street (take it for what it's worth of course)....plenty fast, surprised alot of people, and the power went to the ground most times......I also unsderstand everyones tolerance levels are different and in that vane I'd say collect everyones input, explore all avenues, do a cost vs. benefit analysis and when your research is done the best piece of advice I have to give is this:
think your goals/desires/money all the way through, cause and effect type stuff, come up with an all inclusive plan.....and now the hardest part(lol).....stick to your plan!

Good luck brother and I look forward to your build!

Quick Reply: 1000 HP/Torque. What will it take.