INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

1000 HP/Torque. What will it take.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimS
I was on LS1 tech yesterday and saw a reference to Schwankes short block and went there... save the site and will use it for future reference. Thanks.

I thought maybe I could get a few $k's out of the Radix 112.

Question: I'm under the impression that most of the bolt-on parts like oil pan, water pump, heads, alternator etc will bolt up on the 6 liter blocks.. lilke the LQ9. Correct?

So.. if that assumption is correct then if I go with the 6.0, bored/stroked, I can use my heads and other parts and since I can spin a wrench, with help, I/we can put the rest of the engine together and then add the Magnacharger kit. Costs would be minimized by going in this direction. I should probably find somebody to work the heads to support 800 or so hp... if these heads will do that.

Since my new Wilwoods, Centerline 20's and tires are paid for I'll start looking for a 14" rear end and get further prepared to put some hp to the ground!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rankshaft.html

badass deals. those 390's are with forged cranks! they are custom built for boost. he also sells 370s stock crank for 2999. if your in the military he also gives discounts.one of lmr's customers went from a 408 to this 390 and gained 100rwhp and 3 pounds less boost.

i would strongly recommend these guys over schwankes
Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JIM can you post some pics of your truck? I'd really like to see it with it's new shoes and what you've done to it so far.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
JIM can you post some pics of your truck? I'd really like to see it with it's new shoes and what you've done to it so far.
The new brakes & tires are here.. waiting to be put on while the Centerlines are kind of slow coming. They say their chrome guy took the holidays off so they're waiting for the wheels to come back from being chromed. I'll take new photo's this spring.. everything comes alive in the spring and given the weather in January in Illinois this geezer, Swede or not, is ready for things to come alive!!

You can see the photo's of what was done before this winter by clicking on the link in the bottom of my sig line www.swardphotos.shutterfly.com of something like that. You should pardon the photo's of the stock truck which are there for comparison.. then and now.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowlsx
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rankshaft.html

badass deals. those 390's are with forged cranks! they are custom built for boost. he also sells 370s stock crank for 2999. if your in the military he also gives discounts.one of lmr's customers went from a 408 to this 390 and gained 100rwhp and 3 pounds less boost.

i would strongly recommend these guys over schwankes
I too had been looking at them and since they are "just down the road a piece", 3.5 hours being "a fair piece" () I'll probably drive the truck up to their door, have the short block loaded, go see my grandkids in Carol Stream, a short drive from Elk Grove Village... I think, and then head home with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.

Or... just put a 150 shot on this motor and drive'r until she don't go no more! and then take the misc. parts off and put'm on the AES 390!

I wonder what kind of numbers my heads, their 390, the right cam and the TVS2300 might make? Any idea of the boost numbers and then the hp/torque numbers from such a combo?

Somewhere in that thread linked by you they talk about 900 hp being achieved with 15 lbs of boost.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JimS
I too had been looking at them and since they are "just down the road a piece", 3.5 hours being "a fair piece" () I'll probably drive the truck up to their door, have the short block loaded, go see my grandkids in Carol Stream, a short drive from Elk Grove Village... I think, and then head home with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.

Or... just put a 150 shot on this motor and drive'r until she don't go no more! and then take the misc. parts off and put'm on the AES 390!

I wonder what kind of numbers my heads, their 390, the right cam and the TVS2300 might make? Any idea of the boost numbers and then the hp/torque numbers from such a combo?

Somewhere in that thread linked by you they talk about 900 hp being achieved with 15 lbs of boost.
If TVS is the road you take....talk to Joe Delano......he has what your looking for
Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not many, if any, of the engine build I've been discussing will take place before NEXT winter.

By then, with any luck the TVS 3100 will be a reality.

But... maybe I'll get ant'sy and sell some pool cues to finance a build this spring!

Right now I'm thinking I'll learn how to tune, do some nitrous and drive this combination with some juice until next winter or until It blows!... whichever comes first.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spoolin
jim can you post some pics of your truck? I'd really like to see it with it's new shoes and what you've done to it so far.
x2!!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SILVERADO11
x2!!!!!
Just click the link..... www.swardphotos.shutterfly.com

The new wheels aren't here yet... next week hopefully. The tires and brakes will go on when the wheels get here. I got the 6 piston Wilwoods for the front with 4 piston for the rear.

The theme of the whole truck has been white and black but I HAD to have some bling so I got the red calipers.... and have since added some red touches to the interior, the interior of the bed and under the hood.

Also got the battery shut off that I installed inside the fuel door all wired up (the fuel filler is in the bed since the 23 gallon aluminum cell is just in front of the roll pan). It doesn't really serve much purpose.. some security I suppose, but it's mostly just fun.. open the fuel filler door to find a big ole red label "off on" and a big ole battery shut off switch. Not NHRA legal where it is ... but still fun.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably be a good theft deterrent too since I doubt any thief would think to look in the gas door when the truck wont start.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Probably be a good theft deterrent too since I doubt any thief would think to look in the gas door when the truck wont start.
Well..... one can hope.

Now.... back to my question(s) about nitrous. I know why I SHOULD do nitrous... cheap hp!

Why should I NOT use nitrous?

Is it hard to tune for?

Where with a superhcarger does it get introduced into the mix? Out by the air filter? Just before the tb?

How dangerous to the engine is it?

Is it turned off and on with a switch ... always at command?

As you can tell.. I've never had any experience whatsoever with nitrous and I need tutoring.

Quick Reply: 1000 HP/Torque. What will it take.