INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

2000 5.3 Engine Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 5.3 Engine Rebuild Questions

I drive a 2000 5.3 silverado. 140k miles. Im having a complete engine rebuild. I have next to no mods on this truck. Shift Kit, Cold Air Intake, and that basically covers it. Since im getting my engine rebuilt, im going to have fun with it. The guy gave me a list of everything he's currently putting into it, so im going to put it on here and i would like you guys to tell me what kind of horsepower im going to be getting out of it. I dont know the exact specifics of everything, so if im vague im sorry.

Basically wondering if im going to see big gains, or what. I later hope to get a turbo or a magnacharger/whipple charger. But thats later on.

Also, is the camshaft what makes the motor make that thumping noise that sounds incredibly sexy? Sorry, but im new when it comes to motors D:
    Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the cam makes the choppy idle (sexy sound) lol and u should see s nice gain from the list u got there only thing I would add to that list a tbss intake manifold with 90mm tb... u knew the specs on cam stalk size and what brand of head and chamber size? U want to make sure they all go hand and hand with each other
    Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks man. Im not sure what brand or chamber size All i know is that he is some redneck down here that has done this all of his life. Everyone comes to him to build motors, and when they want the best they come to him. Im not paying a dime for parts, just paying his help for labor which comes out to roughly $1200. He suggests that later on down the line i twin turbo my truck, and get a new transmission but that stuff can wait. I have dual exhausts flowmaster i believe. He likes my truck just because i've customized everything visually and he said i need to give it some pep to back it up. When i got the truck i was fixing it to be a show truck. I've done 3 shows and got 1st twice. So i guess it looks good. Ill take pics when i get my motor painted and chromed. I'll try to take pics of my truck tomorrow after i clean it after school. Also, on the list it says hes doing the intake, i dont know if that would include intake manifold or what. He just wrote down a run down on everything he's replacing with high performance stuff :/

Its nice to have friends who own big shops

I need to get familiar with this site. Im going to spend a lottttttttt of time here it looks like.
    Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Ya im on Here everyday lol great site ppl know a lot on here. That labor is cheap too and u Prolly will need tranny upgrades now. And if u plan a turboing it they will tell u most likely to stay with a single set up. Flaco runs in the 8s with a single.
    Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 PM

Reason i mentioned the twin turbo, is my friend has a Twin Turbo 383 Stroker, and its absolutely nasty. But damn, 8s is badass. I know i wont run anywhere near that probably, but do you know based on what i said a ballpark figure of what kind of HP i will have? The guy promised me he wouldnt let it leave the shop until he's getting atleast 500 RWHP, which i guess is good. My moms charger or my brothers firehawk trans am doesnt even have that -_-

Like i said. Im new to this stuff. I dont know how many horses will be pulling. I dont know how fast it will be in the 1/4 mile. But i plan to figure it out and get it on up there. I just recently started getting excited about big motors
    Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 PM
    TECH Addict

Make sure you have the backend support, without it you ain't going nowhere fast.
    Rear gear, posi, stall and trans.
    Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 AM
    TECH Fanatic

I have heads cam tbss intake lts build trans stall 4.11 gears trutrac and mine made 380 the the wheels. And yes she's right need to build the rearend trans too
    Old 09-24-2011, 09:21 AM
    TECH Addict

IMO.. that twin turbo is a little overkill. Do a little at a time, unless you have the time and the money. I liked how my Hubby showed me the little bit at a time build so you can see what parts made the progress. I also have to show credit to friends on the board that have helped me understand, they know who they are.

I do believe you could get on a dyno and get yourself a baseline...
    Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM
    TECH Fanatic

yes friends that know what there doing is always a plus and ya dont jump into a crazy build not knowning anything
    Old 09-25-2011, 01:55 AM
    TECH Regular

That sounds like a pretty extensive build. If you're already thinking twin turbos down the road why not just add all these mods to a 6.0 block instead. If you really wanna go fast you'll be kicking yourself later for spending all that $$ on the built 5.3 instead of a having a built 6.0

Quick Reply: 2000 5.3 Engine Rebuild Questions