INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

2000 Silverado 5.3 mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Silverado 5.3 mods

Truck is a 2000 Silverado, 5.3, ext cab, 4x4. Full dual exhaust w/hiogh flow cats and some basic programming mods with a DiabloSport programmer.

Looking in to some new heads and cam. Not sure where to begin here really. I know I do not want a screamer. This is a daily driver pickup. I would like to gain some HP & Torque down low in the RPM's.

I had a guy tell me a good head and cam setup would be the following:

-Patriot Heads Part number 2027 milled to 59cc. Should get 10:1 compression.
-Howards Cam part number 190275-17. 216/224 duration, .553"/.553" lift on 117lsa

I dont know much about cams so not sure if the setup above would be appropriate for low end gains. I at least do not want to loose any low end even if I have gains mid to top.

What do you guys think? What kind of gains could be had with something like the above? Do you have a better recomendation.

I have searched around the site and found a lot of information but it is quite overwhelming for a newbie.....

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Read the stickies and use the search feature. This topic has been beat......... badly. At least once a day, gets old explaining the same crap. Over and over.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for his rudeness.

Welcome to the site, this is probably one of the best places for Performance GM trucks, we're luck to have it. It is a good idea to spend a couple of nights and do some searching on the 5.3 to see what's been done and get an exact idea of your power goals and what you want to spend. When you come back with some specific details about your build I'm sure you'll have all the help you'll need.

I'd like to do some stuff to my 03 5.3. Here are some of the articles/threads I've saved to help me out. I hope it does the same for you...

LS Engine Power Packages - LS1 and LS2 Power Recipes - Super Chevy Magazine

5.3L LS Small Block Build - Here Comes Modern Mouse! - Super Chevy Magazine

5.3L LM7 Engine Build - Lucas 5W30 Oil - Truckin' Magazine

Before-After videos with mods and BlackBear tune - Chevy Truck Forum | GMC Truck Forum - GmFullsize.com

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...oughts-435536/

Good luck
Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by popfizz7
Truck is a 2000 Silverado, 5.3, ext cab, 4x4. Full dual exhaust w/hiogh flow cats and some basic programming mods with a DiabloSport programmer.

Looking in to some new heads and cam. Not sure where to begin here really. I know I do not want a screamer. This is a daily driver pickup. I would like to gain some HP & Torque down low in the RPM's.

I had a guy tell me a good head and cam setup would be the following:

-Patriot Heads Part number 2027 milled to 59cc. Should get 10:1 compression.
-Howards Cam part number 190275-17. 216/224 duration, .553"/.553" lift on 117lsa

I dont know much about cams so not sure if the setup above would be appropriate for low end gains. I at least do not want to loose any low end even if I have gains mid to top.

What do you guys think? What kind of gains could be had with something like the above? Do you have a better recomendation.

I have searched around the site and found a lot of information but it is quite overwhelming for a newbie.....

Thank you in advance.
212/216 low lift comp cam
LS7 Lifters
243 heads milled .030
LS6 springs
Hardened pushrods
Also... may want to look into getting bigger injectors, I think the 2000's had the small injectors.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He wasn't really being rude, he's just right. If you read the thread, "Read before you post", you get a nice idea of what's going on. This is often covered and responses will be just as overwhelming as the information you'd get from searching, but I'll just lay down the basics, IMO. Bigger cam, higher compression, if you aren't planning on boost. Search up on good cam options, or get a cam spec'd once you get some things rolling. Get a stall, Circle D, Yank, or FTI if you ask me. Look those up also. Driveablility and towing are covered HEAVILY, concerning stalls. Get lt's and a REAL tune. What are "lt's"? Longtube's and you can search for them on here. There are a 1,000,003 threads full of them, the prices, and their applications, as well as part numbers scattered throughout. Where do you get a real tune? A local reputable tuner, or by one of the sponsors on your right. Be prepared to spend money, but don't waste it on stupid **** for a DD, unless you plan on romping the hell out of the truck at the track. There are PLENTY of guys here with damn near stock engines, top and bottom-end, that have great running rigs. Don't get an intake, get a drop-in. Don't expect a lot for no money. Don't expect the 60E to hold up to tons of power without being built or swapped out. Depending on your exhaust, you can probably do better, mainly muffler-wise. Throttle body spacers are pieces of ****. Nitrous and boost get expensive, and often require more money and supporting mods than you plan. It all depends on budget really, and I know I jumped around to the extreme, but that's usually the first page of replies for the typical new guy. Preesh.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Thank you for your replys. What you guys have said is right in line with what I have already read after using the search function. There is just so much information here its hard to comprehend. I particularly enjoy the post by yurs78. I am working my way through the rest of the links now.

Im thinking the head and cam specs i had listed are not too far off.

I have not even considered bigger injectors...

Im also planning to change gearing in the future. Probably going from 373's to 410's. So that should help some.

It would be nice to see 400hp at the crank. But I dont if thats possible with heads/cam/exhaust/tune. Anyone care to take a stabe at it?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you even looked around on this site?........ Just happens to be 1000000000 of these threads that will tell you what you need to know. Use the search feature! I'm not saying it to be rude.... I'm saying it because it is here for this reason..... It works really well.

As for yurs78, no need to apologize for me. I can apologize on my own when it is needed. It is blatantly obvious the OP has no regard for policy.

Here are two on the first page of "Dyno Results and Comparison"........ This is where members POST DYNO NUMBERS.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...esults-494763/

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-350hp-491748/
Old 03-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

I will be doing flat top pistons, 212/218 cam and 243 heads.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mcfarlnd
Have you even looked around on this site?........ Just happens to be 1000000000 of these threads that will tell you what you need to know. Use the search feature! I'm not saying it to be rude.... I'm saying it because it is here for this reason..... It works really well.

As for yurs78, no need to apologize for me. I can apologize on my own when it is needed. It is blatantly obvious the OP has no regard for policy.

Here are two on the first page of "Dyno Results and Comparison"........ This is where members POST DYNO NUMBERS.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...esults-494763/

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-350hp-491748/
I didn't mean to step on toes, I could have worded it better. All I was trying to say was the idea you expressed (use search) was spot on. How it was said could have been softer. But I'm a sensitive guy so maybe the problem is mine LOL. Either way the thread is really getting a lot of great ideas thrown out so mission accomplished.

Happy Friday to all!