INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

323 to 383 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greasemykey
searched car craft online and did not find any articles but ill keep looking
It's on the shelves right now. Very good 8 page read actually, covering tuning with 93, meth, race fuel, stock 5.3 w/76mm, BW 72mm turbo, compressor map reading, all kinds of good stuff. Clearly in the direction of FI however, not N/A power.

Name:  IMG_1798.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  77.7 KB
Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the machine shop wont do any work without the rotating assembly. i need to not only bore the block but clearance it for the longer rods and the stroke of the crank.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foose04
It's on the shelves right now. Very good 8 page read actually, covering tuning with 93, meth, race fuel, stock 5.3 w/76mm, BW 72mm turbo, compressor map reading, all kinds of good stuff. Clearly in the direction of FI however, not N/A power.

i will be headed to the store in a minute. thanks for that info.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 8000 hard miles on my 383 stroker now and it's running strong! Never had any trouble with the engine. I've towed 7500+lbs of trailer for 8 hours in the summer heat and it kept perfectly cool. I've made hundreds of full pedal launches and 1/4 mile runs. This is one tough engine.

I'd get the parts, then bring it to your machine shop. Let them know that they will have to bore 1/8 of an inch out of the cylinders and see what they say. My guy bitched that it kept his boring machine busy all day. I'd also recommend ARP studs to go with, the Cometic headgaskets and installing the rear crank seal in backwards if you are boosting. It all worked for me. I torqued the heads 5 lbs tighter than stock specs as well.

Here is the build:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...tblock-478266/
Old 02-17-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by swift700
I have 8000 hard miles on my 383 stroker now and it's running strong! Never had any trouble with the engine. I've towed 7500+lbs of trailer for 8 hours in the summer heat and it kept perfectly cool. I've made hundreds of full pedal launches and 1/4 mile runs. This is one tough engine.

I'd get the parts, then bring it to your machine shop. Let them know that they will have to bore 1/8 of an inch out of the cylinders and see what they say. My guy bitched that it kept his boring machine busy all day. I'd also recommend ARP studs to go with, the Cometic headgaskets and installing the rear crank seal in backwards if you are boosting. It all worked for me. I torqued the heads 5 lbs tighter than stock specs as well.

Here is the build:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...tblock-478266/
i dont think im going to boost this engine at 11:1 compression. i found a shop that will do the work he just wants the rotating assembly with the block. ill order the ARP head studs with the heads as well. do i need ARP main studs or will my combo be just fine without them?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do i need ARP main studs or will my combo be just fine without them?
You probably don't need them, but I see them as insurance on an investment. For a couple hundred bucks you can't go wrong, and they are reusable in case you ever blow something up and need to disassemble or want to build another engine. I see them as lifetime parts.

Also, with the Manley 4" crank and Eagle H-beam rods, my block needed NO clearancing. There was plenty of room.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by foose04

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/IMG_1798.jpg
Just picked this up. Really good read, lot of interesting info.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i looked at the local grocery store for that magazine and they didn't have it. i'm going out tonight to "shop" with my wife and ill look for it so i have something entertaining to do while i'm out. thanks for all the info guys. when i pull the engine tomorrow i will take pictures of what exactly it is that broke and add it to my wall of shame in my garage. I called Texas Speed today and should have my rotating assembly by the 1st of march and i have found a machine shop to do the boring and cleaning for 500 bones.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Just picked this up. Really good read, lot of interesting info.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I wonder if thats included with a subscribtion or if its one of those special issues.
I'll be checking my mailbox for the next few days, hah.

I need to figure out what I'll be doing with mine, this will be very helpful. Its good to see more 5.3 builds to.

swift,
great build, just went through your thread. That thing is a beast. The color is pretty cool to.

Quick Reply: 323 to 383 question