Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thnx Grippy!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Latest: with overdirve installed, 2.8 pulley and meth....IAT's ramped up to ~170* on the hway and 190* on the dyno. Power is respectable down low and we're peaking around 480torq/430rwhp @ 5200rpm. We're gonna pull some timing to get the IAT's down and I'm gonna stop spending money for a while . Its got gobs of power out of the hole, and it'll be a great hway cruiser - which is exactly what I set out to do from the start. I shud have it back tomorrow hopefully, and I'll update pix and SOTP impressions. I'll do my best to slaughter a few locals between stop signs . Thnx to Slowhawk @ DezRacing and George @ ICS for their help. R/
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

so you ran the meth or are you planning to run meth?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moregrip
so you ran the meth or are you planning to run meth?
Those results are with the meth running...
Old 09-07-2007, 06:51 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by dhpro
Those results are with the meth running...
oh dear, that doesn't add up, something is off
Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moregrip
oh dear, that doesn't add up, something is off
If its an I/C prob it'll show up for sure as it cools...the truck shud start to really wake up. R/
Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

First road trip - 300 hway miles/mtns: I don't care what my DYNO #'s say, this thing is a rocket! Cool temps (45-55*) and it drove like a champ with only small tuning hiccups at slower speeds. Man, its loud and the only guys that don't turn to look are the Harley riders! Got my first speeding ticket in 20yrs - unfortunately with an "order to appear" (92 in a 55)...Statey's were out in force this weekend for some reason! Gonna hit the dyno again tomorrow and do a with/without cats comparison to rule them out as a source of high IATs.
Next up: 900 hway miles to Quebec and back this weekend
Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 PM
what a rush!

awesome bro! glad its running strong.

I was thinking that for not alot more money you might want to try this out and see if it helps you high IAT's:

Originally Posted by RWTD
The Killer Chiller is finally available!

First off, the technical aspects of the system.

What are the advantages of the Killer Chiller system?

EXTREMELY LOW INTERCOOLER FLUID TEMPS (35 to 50 degrees F), which allows for MORE boost and/or MORE spark for GREATER, SAFER POWER! The KC also allows SUSTAINED power and continual safety for those vehicles without any changes to boost and/or spark!

Heat is the #1 enemy of performance and safety, especially in forced induction applications. This is especially true when you continue to raise boost. Blower exit temps can be astronomical! We all know that a cooler charge into the combustion chamber will allow for the ability to run more boost and spark on a given octane. This is in addition to the fact that it adds an even greater safety margin on lower boost and spark levels. With the Killer Chiller, most everyone will experience a drop in intercooler temps of between 40 and 80+ degrees! This system can be ran full time for a constant reduction in intercooler temps, or part time for a consistent and reliable reduction in overall intercooler temps.

How does it work?

When you turn the AC on the refrigerant is forced through the chiller core. The core employs a counter-flow design, which utilizes stainless sheets stamped with a herringbone pattern of grooves, stacked in alternating directions to form separate flow channels (one channel for the refrigerant, and one for the IC fluid). This allows 90% of the chiller core to be used for heat transfer, making it extremely efficient at chilling down the IC fluid, and allowing for more boost and or timing as noted above.

Touching further, the temp of the refrigerant will be about 15-20 degrees entering the core, and the exit temp should be around 35 degrees. The refrigerant will then make its way back to the evap at about 40-45 degrees and exit at around 65 degrees, so there should be little to no condensation, but this will allow the refrigerant to go through the accumulator and protect the compressor from any moisture, and/or contaminates.

Data:

Using Tim's (Blwn04 here on ModularFords) 2004 Cobra, we achieved a consistent 35 to 42 degrees today through the KC core, and a consistent 45 to 55 degrees in the intercooler reservoir, even after several repeated brisk pulls (keep in mind that the intercooler reservoir fluid comes directly out of the intercooler, *after* it heats up).

Within a confined room of approx. 65 to 70 degree temps, we let Tim's Cobra warm up to operating temperature. With the A/C off, therefore no KC cooling, the intercooler reservoir temperatures were approx. 85 to 90+ degrees (would have heated up even further if he would have let it continue to run without the KC chilling). Then Tim turned on the A/C, and within 1 minute the IC reservoir temps dropped down to 60 degrees. Within approx. 2 more minutes they had dropped down to 50 degrees. He shut the A/C off and it raised up to approx. 75 degrees after approx. 3 minutes. As he continued to let it heat up over time, the IC coolant actually become quite hot (near scalding).

Danny's (EvilSVT here on ModularFords) Lightning experienced basically the exact same findings. I'll elaborate more in depth on both vehicles throughout this thread.

Important Information:

Insulation: Neither vehicle had any insulation on the supply/feed lines. However, we do recommend everyone to insulate as much as possible, as there is increased efficiency and cooling you will gain from doing such.

Refrigerant: We ended up with basically the exact same amount of refrigerant (R134A) as factory already calls for. The A/C cycles on/off normally, and there isn't any issues to be concerned with here. Realize that this system will work properly with basically the same amount of refrigerant as factory (that's a big benefit, especially for ease of install and implementation). Most all of us knows someone in the automotive A/C industry that can recharge our systems properly. For the system to work properly, it is very important that they install the exact amount of refrigerant we call for. Do not let them overcharge or undercharge, or you will have reduced performance, and potentially zero cooling.

Installation: The system is extremely easy to install. It requires about the same effort and time as installing your supercharger (tho everyone is different in this regard). I estimate approx. 4 hours to 8 hours to install this, depending on your rate of work, with most falling in around 6 hours, not counting the time to for the evac and recharge of the system (generally about 30 min to 1 hour). It is a straight forward installation that I just cannot see anyone getting in a bind with.

Note: PLEASE be careful, and kind to everyone, and do NOT pollute refrigerant. R134A is HIGHLY toxic when breathed, and tho it has shown not to affect the ozone, it actually does have a global warming potential. Be kind!

Warranty:

The Killer Chiller has a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the assembly (core and lines), and a two year warranty on the gauge sensor package. Find that type of warranty in the automotive aftermarket industry!

Layout diagram of the new KC system:

A simple to install 100% effective system!
(Note: The HE bypass valves will be optional, and are not required, but will help with efficiency.)

What do you get in the Killer Chiller kit?

100% everything necessary to install the system, some of which includes:

- KC core assembly (includes hoses and connectors to hook everything up)
- Digital temp gauge for KC core temp readings (fits in standard pod openings)

Will this system work with an aftermarket heat exchanger and reservoir?

Yes! They can and will help to add to the effectiveness of the system (more capacity). However, they are not required.

Here's a brief synopsis of the install:

Killer Chiller Core Assembly

The liquid line that you will splice with two 90 degree fittings. If if the future you choose to return back to stock, this line is available through Tousley Ford for approx. $40. Otherwise, you can purchase a straight mender and use your existing line.

From the splice, you will run two new liquid lines to the KC core. You may choose to route your lines however you please.

In the next 3 pictures, you will see that some modification is required on the front bumper support. This is a straightforward procedure.

In the next two pictures, you will see the KC core mounted with the liquid lines ran over the top of the bumper support core, and the one of the HE lines ran through the bumper support core (both HE lines will run through the same spot). If you choose to purchase a new bumper core support, it is available through Tousley Ford for approx. $50.

In these two pictures, you will see the HE hose coming from the KC and bumper core support. In the second picture, right above the hose clamp, you can see where the other HE hose coming from the KC core will go. Stronger, thicker, hose is provided versus what is seen in this picture.

From here you just charge the system up and test! The bumper cover fits back as factory.

Thanks!

Last edited by moregrip; 09-18-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Grippy...that looks pretty cool...definately an option that I'll look into as we keep trouble shooting. R/
Old 09-26-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

LATEST: did 1400 miles in last 10days...pissing oil all over the place. Before all the miles found small oil pool on top on head covers and on pass side motor mount. After all the miles whole bottom of truck is covered, had to add 2 qrts so far. All the plug heat socks are soaked. Valve covers dont seem to be the prob as the heads are clean above the headers. Drivers side looks like a small head gasket leak...gonna do a leak down test and see if the cylinders have been washed down and my rings are shot (hopefully not or at least its only rings if so ). Half way thru the mileage the SNOW meth pump went haywire and drowned my engione in fluid stalling the motor...thankfully it didn't hydrolock! I'm guessing this is the ultimate reason for the high IAT/low power probs...the scarey part is my builder/installer think we only need to retorq the heads! It'll be headed back to the shop in the next few weeks. I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING BAD I EVER SAID ABOUT ANYTHING AND EVERYBODY - PLS JUST MAKE MY CAR RUN BEFORE I GO BROKE

Quick Reply: 370/MP122 Build