INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

408 compression ratio

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:12 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
EXTREME, I am building my own. There are only so many ways to plumb a front mount single, so you already know about how it will look.

TB, 700s to the ground would be cool ! The cam you mentioned is exactly what I originally wanted to put in my 408, after talking to a couple people I though that I could afford to scale it down a little. How does your truck respond on the street with your cam and that boost level? Your set-up sounds very close to what I want to build.
It is VERY streetable. It is my daily driver when it isn't on jack stands Plenty of low end grunt and when the turbo kicked... It was a little scary on the street.

As I said, I run 8.6:1 with MLS gaskets -- they are great turbo gaskets imo. I believe parish is about the same CR and his cam is very close to what I run. Not sure what he does for gaskets (I think cometics, but not sure).

AS others have said, no real need to sweat 20psi unless you just want it (like me ) as 15psi gets you plenty of power on the street. I'm not sure how your suspension is set up, but you may want to consider what 20psi (and 1000hp to the ground) means for your rear axle, tires, suspension, etc. and go from there
Old 11-05-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I can handle 20psi safely, there is no reason why I wouldn't want it . I plan to work my way up to a level that is still reasonable on the street, but I already know that I will be turning it up down the road.

Right now my suspension is bone stock (2500HD), but soon I will remove the overload spring and add some Cal-tracs in the rear. My 14bolt should handle more power than my tires, maybe not the G80 though. Do you think the stock 80e will last a little while with a shift kit?

I have been debating twin turbo vs. single at the moment. I was last thinking about twin GT35Rs with tubular exhaust and merge collectors . Its funny how everything snowballs. If anyone has an opinion on the twin vs. single, I appreciate the input. Thank you guys for the help so far.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Er... Been running MLS for 2 years on a 4.03 bore They work great, don't lift, etc. I do have head studs and have 'em overtorqued 15 ft/lbs however.
The stock MLS gaskets are good but I have ALWAYS been told never to run a smaller diameter gasket on a larger bore.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:10 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If I can handle 20psi safely, there is no reason why I wouldn't want it . I plan to work my way up to a level that is still reasonable on the street, but I already know that I will be turning it up down the road.

Right now my suspension is bone stock (2500HD), but soon I will remove the overload spring and add some Cal-tracs in the rear. My 14bolt should handle more power than my tires, maybe not the G80 though. Do you think the stock 80e will last a little while with a shift kit?

I have been debating twin turbo vs. single at the moment. I was last thinking about twin GT35Rs with tubular exhaust and merge collectors . Its funny how everything snowballs. If anyone has an opinion on the twin vs. single, I appreciate the input. Thank you guys for the help so far.
my G80 was fine on the street, but didn't last one trip down the strip
Old 11-05-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
8:1CR will SUCK while out of boost. Especially in your heavy truck. If you arent shooting for 20+psi then I would shoot for 9:1 Ill be running 9.3:1 to help out with off boost driving.
You mean you actually plan on driving out of boost? Don't lie lol.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
my G80 was fine on the street, but didn't last one trip down the strip
I am a little scared now, when the g80 let go what else did it take with it?

Last edited by moregrip; 11-05-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

replace it before it getst eh chance to go....
Old 11-05-2006, 12:34 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
The stock MLS gaskets are good but I have ALWAYS been told never to run a smaller diameter gasket on a larger bore.
They aren't smaller. They are 4.03 or 4.04 as I recall.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:38 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

the Stock 80 will last a bit. Parish ran his for almost a year I think with just the shift kit. Then you'll be into FLT

G80s are weird. It might last forever, might blow up the first time you hit it. I've got a detroit locker going in mine. The 14 bolt you have (9.5" sf) will work fine (with a locker or lsd upgrade) for as much HP as you can get in a street driven truck imo.

Why you wouldn't want 20psi comes down to how much time you will spend at 20psi. High boost means a sacrifice of something when not in high boost -- gas mileage, street manners, etc. If you are like me, none of that matters, but I thought I'd mention it
Old 11-05-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

That is some good advise. I have a lot to consider right now. Gas milage is not important to me, driveability means a little. I can put up with some stuff but I don't want to drive a race vehicle around on the street. I want to run large(er) turbos that can take advantage of my heads/intake, but I also want to make them as responsive as possible(of course I want to have everything ) by using the merge collectors . I care most about transient response when the truck is already rolling. I have 4.10 gears and was going to try to run the stock converter. I am not opposed to changing things down the road to optimize the set-up, I want to get going with the least modifications so I can choose them later on.

Quick Reply: 408 compression ratio