INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3 for 6.0 and upgrades...opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it depends on how long he wants the engine to last. 9 and under is pretty safe on a good tune 10+ is starting to push the stock parts limits IMO. That being said... I am putting my 2.75" pulley on when I get the dyno tune. Hopefully this will take place in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how she does What I would do with my own engine and $$ and what I would recommend to another are usually different answers.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will absolutely be running a custom tune (already have one, altho I'm running the Mag OEm tune as its really quite aggressive!). As for the tranny, I was thinking a stage 5 rebuild from TCI of my 4l65, but I'm not married to it. As for the rolling stock internals, if I'm gonna drop a new engine in its gonna be loaded with the best goodies available - ARP, forged everything...etc. The only thing I'm not sure will need changing is the crank - but again while I'm building, why not?
Is there si big diff between the 6.0 in the Silverado SS and the one in the Escalades? I've already started looking and spoke to several GM service depts in my area. I think they're findable in a junk yard, but comfort factor is highre from a dealer...R/
Old 02-14-2006, 02:30 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhpro
I will absolutely be running a custom tune (already have one, altho I'm running the Mag OEm tune as its really quite aggressive!). As for the tranny, I was thinking a stage 5 rebuild from TCI of my 4l65, but I'm not married to it. As for the rolling stock internals, if I'm gonna drop a new engine in its gonna be loaded with the best goodies available - ARP, forged everything...etc. The only thing I'm not sure will need changing is the crank - but again while I'm building, why not?
Is there si big diff between the 6.0 in the Silverado SS and the one in the Escalades? I've already started looking and spoke to several GM service depts in my area. I think they're findable in a junk yard, but comfort factor is highre from a dealer...R/
The Silvy SS and the Escalade 6.0 engines are exactly the same except for the engine covers. Both are 345 hp 380 lb/ft torque LQ9 6.0, only the Sierra Denali/C3 pickup and the 2500 trucks came with the 6.0 Lq4 engine teh Denali C3 was rated at 325 hp an dthe 2500 series Lq4 is rated at 300 hp 360 lb/ft.

he Lq4's are quite a bit cheaper, and with their lower compressions ratio are better suited for boost. The Lq9 does have stronger rods, full floating pins and pistons with less of a dish than the LQ4.
Both have 6 bolt main caps and are very strong engines. The Lq4 has the lower comp. ratio for durability with their higher probability for extended WOT usage under heavy loading in the 3/4 ton truck.

the 6.0engines are detuned quite a lot from the, 50-60 hp can be found from timing alone on the engine dyno.

peace
Hog
Old 02-14-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hog
The Silvy SS and the Escalade 6.0 engines are exactly the same except for the engine covers. Both are 345 hp 380 lb/ft torque LQ9 6.0, only the Sierra Denali/C3 pickup and the 2500 trucks came with the 6.0 Lq4 engine teh Denali C3 was rated at 325 hp an dthe 2500 series Lq4 is rated at 300 hp 360 lb/ft.

he Lq4's are quite a bit cheaper, and with their lower compressions ratio are better suited for boost. The Lq9 does have stronger rods, full floating pins and pistons with less of a dish than the LQ4.
Both have 6 bolt main caps and are very strong engines. The Lq4 has the lower comp. ratio for durability with their higher probability for extended WOT usage under heavy loading in the 3/4 ton truck.

the 6.0engines are detuned quite a lot from the, 50-60 hp can be found from timing alone on the engine dyno.

peace
Hog
So, sounds like I'm better of with the LQ4 if I'm gonna change the rolling stock? Guess if I find an LQ9 in great shape, then its less I have to spend on rolling stock internals...lets see what I come up with. R/
Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this answer when wondering why some LQ4's were rated at 325hp and some at 300hp.

2001 Silverado 2500 4x4 wants more power
Q: I own an 2001 Silverado 2500 4x4 with extended cab and 3.73:1 rearend. It's rated at 300 hp and 360 lb-ft of torque. While my truck has great power and performance, I note other GM models have this engine with higher power ratings (Sierra C3: 325 hp; Yukon Denali: 320 hp; and Escalade: 345 hp). Can you identify what GM has done to increase the power for these versions of the Vortec 6000 engine? I tow a 29-ft fifth-wheel trailer weighing 7700 lb, and while my truck seems to handle the job well, I wonder if there are some simple and relatively inexpensive things I can do to increase its power?

A: All the vehicles you've mentioned, with the exception of the Cadillac Escalade, utilize the Vortec 6000 LQ4 V-8 engine. The Caddy SUV is actually fitted with the Vortec HO 6000, option code LQ9, and uses a higher compression ratio, via a piston upgrade, which brings it up from the LQ4s 9.4:1 to a 10.0:1 ratio. This explains the significantly higher power rating of 345 hp at 5000 rpm. The Vortec LQ4 engines in the other 1/2-ton GM light-duty trucks, such as the Sierra and the Yukon, only have a slight horsepower variance. The plus or minus five horsepower is due to the different exhaust systems and air intake configurations in each model. Now here comes the tricky part. Your Silverado 2500 is considered a heavy-duty truck due to vehicle weight and therefore falls under certain federal regulations, one of them being the Transportation Equipment Noise Emission Controls. There was a problem with the Chevy and GMC 3/4- and 1-ton trucks equipped with the 6.0L V-8 engine producing excessive noise. Your truck's LQ4 engine actually had its potential horsepower downgraded. It now peaks at 300 hp at 4400 rpm because it was too noisy and would have failed the test pushing more horsepower at a higher rpm. According to the General Motors Engineering Communications Department, there were also driveability concerns involved with the decision, and the downgrade was accomplished through various means including the programming of the powertrain control module.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
I found this answer when wondering why some LQ4's were rated at 325hp and some at 300hp.

2001 Silverado 2500 4x4 wants more power
Q: I own an 2001 Silverado 2500 4x4 with extended cab and 3.73:1 rearend. It's rated at 300 hp and 360 lb-ft of torque. While my truck has great power and performance, I note other GM models have this engine with higher power ratings (Sierra C3: 325 hp; Yukon Denali: 320 hp; and Escalade: 345 hp). Can you identify what GM has done to increase the power for these versions of the Vortec 6000 engine? I tow a 29-ft fifth-wheel trailer weighing 7700 lb, and while my truck seems to handle the job well, I wonder if there are some simple and relatively inexpensive things I can do to increase its power?

A: All the vehicles you've mentioned, with the exception of the Cadillac Escalade, utilize the Vortec 6000 LQ4 V-8 engine. The Caddy SUV is actually fitted with the Vortec HO 6000, option code LQ9, and uses a higher compression ratio, via a piston upgrade, which brings it up from the LQ4s 9.4:1 to a 10.0:1 ratio. This explains the significantly higher power rating of 345 hp at 5000 rpm. The Vortec LQ4 engines in the other 1/2-ton GM light-duty trucks, such as the Sierra and the Yukon, only have a slight horsepower variance. The plus or minus five horsepower is due to the different exhaust systems and air intake configurations in each model. Now here comes the tricky part. Your Silverado 2500 is considered a heavy-duty truck due to vehicle weight and therefore falls under certain federal regulations, one of them being the Transportation Equipment Noise Emission Controls. There was a problem with the Chevy and GMC 3/4- and 1-ton trucks equipped with the 6.0L V-8 engine producing excessive noise. Your truck's LQ4 engine actually had its potential horsepower downgraded. It now peaks at 300 hp at 4400 rpm because it was too noisy and would have failed the test pushing more horsepower at a higher rpm. According to the General Motors Engineering Communications Department, there were also driveability concerns involved with the decision, and the downgrade was accomplished through various means including the programming of the powertrain control module.
This is outstanding info! Thnx. Found my LQ9 2004 rollover. Waiting for a price and then gonna be looking for rolling stock info. R/