INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3 Cylinder Head Porting

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.3 Cylinder Head Porting

I am doing a cam swap next month on my 2007 5.3 LY5. Anyone any input on porting stock 5.3 heads ? Any expected gains ? Also I am looking for a good machine shop in Orange County Ca. I know there a too many to count here but being in the business for 20 years I see more bad than good.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what county WCCH is in, but they're in Cali, and they're who I'd recommend to anybody who wants GENIII head work done I'm 3000 miles away and I had them do a StageII job on my 317's for my LQ9. Give Richard a call and you'll be floored by how knowledgeable and how cool he is. As for 5.3, I know that they used to have a StageI program that tdrumm had done for his old RCSB, and they showed nice gains on the dyno...somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30hp IIRC
Old 02-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3
I am doing a cam swap next month on my 2007 5.3 LY5. Anyone any input on porting stock 5.3 heads ? Any expected gains ? Also I am looking for a good machine shop in Orange County Ca. I know there a too many to count here but being in the business for 20 years I see more bad than good.
im getting my 243's (64 CC) fully ported with a valve job/ in addition im getting them mill 2 boost up compression. i should be around 58-59CC . with a nice cam . . i should be around 4XX hp. on a 12' sec pass.. . .. ..
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 AM
On The Tree

call richard at west coast cylinder heads. hes in van nuys about an hour north of you, an has a great program for the 706 (5.3 heads). im here to testify. in fact he's one of the sponsors for this site
Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

http://www.proheads.com/

There ya go!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3
When you say your looking for a good machine shop. what is it your looking to have done? Your right there are to many to count and there is way more bad then anything.... Its either poor customer service, Over chargeing, or just down right shouty work....

I have an excellent engine machinest that I use in orange county. He's well known and does engine machine work for a few of the top engine builders. I didn't relise it was such a small circle untill BSing with him about who actually does what...

I Forgot to mention Richard for Head porting.... Its money well spent!!! trust me I have his heads for my new motor. This guy knows air flow... we spent hours discussing air flow and what not before I ever spent a dime. Every one else Just wanted to know what package I wanted to purchase...

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 02-27-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:56 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
When you say your looking for a good machine shop. what is it your looking to have done? Your right there are to many to count and there is way more bad then anything.... Its either poor customer service, Over chargeing, or just down right shouty work....

I have an excellent engine machinest that I use in orange county. He's well known and does engine machine work for a few of the top engine builders. I didn't relise it was such a small circle untill BSing with him about who actually does what...

I Forgot to mention Richard for Head porting.... Its money well spent!!! trust me I have his heads for my new motor. This guy knows air flow... we spent hours discussing air flow and what not before I ever spent a dime. Every one else Just wanted to know what package I wanted to purchase...
Yessir, Richard will spend as much time as it takes until all of your questions are answered, and then give you extra wisdom as a bonus. I've called him numerous times with questions and he's always gone above and beyond to help me out. I feel completely comfortable and confident with calling WCCH with any engine concerns that I may have, and I'm sure that I'll be calling them again in the future when the need be.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Yessir, Richard will spend as much time as it takes until all of your questions are answered, and then give you extra wisdom as a bonus. I've called him numerous times with questions and he's always gone above and beyond to help me out. I feel completely comfortable and confident with calling WCCH with any engine concerns that I may have, and I'm sure that I'll be calling them again in the future when the need be.
What's the expected turn around time? I'm sold on having these guys port my heads, but I am on the east coast.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:58 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i went on a det to point mugu a few years ago and myself and a couple buddies went to visit richard. that man kows heads!! we must have talked for 2-3 hours about heads. just looking around and chit chat'n. real good guy.

can't tell you about turn around time though.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Ditto! You won't be disappointed!