INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3 help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 help please

hey guys hows it going im new to the site and to the chevy truck thing i traded a 95 acura integra for my rcsb 03 silverado with a 5.3 in it. its got new stock heads a air raid intake and the previous owner said a shift kit not sure though im looking to mod the 5.3 and wanna have it as a dd but also be able to show some of the ricers up around here and wanna build the motor up maybe like 400-450 hp is it possible and if so what kinda money would i need and some setup help please
Old 09-15-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome and contrags on the purchase!

Its not going to take much to run the typical ricers down and you should already be able to beat the ones with basic mods. These trucks are tough and the 5.3l is a sout factory motor that responds well to mods. I would start out on the basic mods first to start your foundation to build on. You already have a CAI. I would go with some exhaust mods and then a tune from one of our sponsors. Dont waist your money on a hand held tuner like hypertech or diablo etc.... You'll have MUCH better results in driveablity and performance going with a mail order. You'll gain even more if you get a custom dyno tune but thats up to you.

To reach 400-450 at the wheels you will some sort of boost or nitrous. These motors will hold a lot of power in stock form (bottom end) There have been people on these forums pushing 600+ on a stock motor as a DD reliably. Again, Welcome! Keep browsing the fourms and read the sticky's. There are stickys at the top of the fourm boards that go into detail as to what mods to do and what mods to avoid. Check them out and happy modding! (Also welcome to the Domestic world!)
Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Teching In

thanks alot man most people so far havent gave me any help that helps alot i actually just got a cat back with a magnaflow muffler not sure which one it sounds good thats for sure better than any fart can and im from upstate new york soo im tryin to find a place around here or within a couple hours to tune it for me any suggestions and id like to get a set of long tubes over the winter for it aswell
Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Teching In

thanks alot man most people so far havent gave me any help that helps alot i actually just got a cat back with a magnaflow muffler not sure which one it sounds good thats for sure better than any fart can and im from upstate new york soo im tryin to find a place around here or within a couple hours to tune it for me any suggestions and id like to get a set of long tubes over the winter for it aswell
Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Teching In

its got 24's on it as well with a 305 35r24 i dont mind them but id like to go with something a little smaller maybe to switch on for a sporty look i got some stock gmc wheels that came on the older yukons and trucks for the winter up here
Old 09-16-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go with some smaller rims too. You'll get a better ride and much better performance. I picked up mine off of a 2008 Denali. I went from stock 16's to 20's. I felt a little performance difference but It was mainly stopping that was the biggest difference.

Before you rush to get a dyno tune I would hold off until you get your set of long tubes installed. After you get them installed you will need a re-tune anyways. If not you could run your truck lean and start running into issues. If you’re looking at getting a tune anyways try a sponsor tune (located on the right hand side of the page) Wheatly, Blackbear, and Nelson are all ones that are popular on this site they are also members. Check their sites out and call or chat with them on line to make your decision. They can also do re-tunes by just calling up and telling them what you have done different obviously at a cost. They may also have some insight on what to do next or which direction to go with your truck.

As far as people not giving any help. I have run into that problem here and there as well but you have to understand how many people ask the same questions over and over and over. There is so much information in the sticky's on this site its ridiculous. If you have some spare time check all of them out. Start with the ones that interest you. I have found SEVERAL new projects that I want to do to my truck just from reading the sticky’s. These trucks have amazing potential for upgrades/mods in all realms. Also it looks like your typing from a phone. Try to break things up a little with some punctuation. It just makes it easier for everyone to read. I have noticed if its hard to follow you might not get much of a response.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Teching In

thanks alot man. i actually was replying from my iphone which is a pain in the *** sometimes. you have helped me out alot, its just takes so long and lots of money because i want the truck to be some show and some go. your trucks nice i like that. the problem i have is in my small town in upstate ny i don't find to many people that are into the trucks unless its chopping them and bagging them. im not into that right now

id like to do a ss conversion possibly and freshen the paint this winter. but thank you for your input as it helps, and where do i find the sticky's
Old 09-17-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

some other mods you might think about trying would be a throttle body spacer (maybe 100 dollars at the most), off road y pipe (just depends on where you get it, shouldnt be more than 200 bucks), and maybe a lower set of gears (dont really know price of those for these trucks, shouldnt be more than a couple hundred bucks) and those mods combined with a tune will easily push you past stupid ricers. the only thing further i can think of doing would be a cam but not such a good idea for daily driving personally. ...you should put up some pics of your truck? i actually have an 03 1500 rcsb with the 5.3 and i love it
Old 09-18-2010, 02:42 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmd_CL
some other mods you might think about trying would be a throttle body spacer (maybe 100 dollars at the most), off road y pipe (just depends on where you get it, shouldnt be more than 200 bucks), and maybe a lower set of gears (dont really know price of those for these trucks, shouldnt be more than a couple hundred bucks) and those mods combined with a tune will easily push you past stupid ricers. the only thing further i can think of doing would be a cam but not such a good idea for daily driving personally. ...you should put up some pics of your truck? i actually have an 03 1500 rcsb with the 5.3 and i love it
Welcome to the site...read up around here about throttle body spacers and you'll find that all that they're good for is installing nitrous nozzles into...biggest waste of money going...
Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Default pics

heres a few pics of the truck post some of yours
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 help please-truck-002.jpg   5.3 help please-truck-004.jpg   5.3 help please-bike-147.jpg   5.3 help please-bike-141.jpg  

Quick Reply: 5.3 help please