INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i will ask.
how much of a budget does your friend have to spend on mods?
give us a ball park figure so we can come up with the best bang for his bucks.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Won't get flamed on here, we've got the best mods and they keep them out. I'm gonna wait for PappyDan's Q to be answered that will save some typing time.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PappyDan
well i will ask.
how much of a budget does your friend have to spend on mods?
give us a ball park figure so we can come up with the best bang for his bucks.
It's a not a big budget at all. He told me he wanted "a noticeable gain." I am thinking the 212/218 (or similar) cam might be the best bang for the buck. He mentioned an FIPK but I don't know he necessarily needs that. Only thing I can see him further doing is maybe headers. He's not much on car knowledge and I'm more into strokers and turbos in my own cars. Truck world is something I consider to be quite different than what I am used to so I came here. While the mechanics are the same, the goals and effects are different. So in a nutshell, small budget, as little supporting mods as possible, a good seat of the pants gain, maintain truck like characteristics (DD, low end torque).
Old 06-20-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Found another cam, it's a Comp 208/212 .554"/.558" 115 lsa. Quite a bit more lift but less duration to keep the powerband low. I know we'd need an LS6 spring kit. What about stock rockers? If it were my engine mods, I'd buy roller rockers anyway but not sure if his stockers would be ok. Tune required? On the 212/218 cam, lift is lower so springs might not be required ???? Duration is some higher but I'm thinking we can get away without a tune.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

That 208/212 is a nice DD cam but have it ground on a 112ēlsa. This will work very well with a stock converter. It will really expand the torque bubble from right off idle. Just the rpm range your looking to boost.
Roller rockers on street driven Gen 3's and 4's are like a TV set on a honeymoon.......not necessary. The factory rockers are quite good and with the Harland Sharp bearing mod they're unbeatable in performance and durability.
With that cam you will benefit from a good retune. Probably not necessary but your going to be leaving performance on the table.
The LS6 springs will work ok with that cam.

Good luck,

Richard
Old 06-20-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I would have to go back to mention getting a tune again. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but can't you get a mail order tune on a new pcm so there will be no downtime? It just seems like if your friend is looking for the best bank for the buck and a noticeable improvement then that screams TUNE. Just removing some of the TM will be a huge noticeable increase. Of course a cam on top of that will be even better.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some great mods will be

tune
lt headers + ory = bolts up to factory catback( also an aftermarket catback if they mount the same)
get a K&N dropin filter for the stock air box and drill a 4" hole in the bottom of the air box and mounting plate, works the same as a cai
some electric fans - hp and mileage either and ls1 setup or some 05-up efans with a 34" radiator
a small cam + ls6 valve springs
gears + lsd
stall
Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll talk to him soon hopefully (he's in AL and I'm in KY). We were wanting to do something in a weekend. I'll talk it over with him and we'll go from there. Does PCM4Less do the swap out? Who does?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll talk to him soon hopefully (he's in AL and I'm in KY). We were wanting to do something in a weekend. I'll talk it over with him and we'll go from there. Does PCM4Less do the swap out? Who does?

Sent you a PM
Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
That 208/212 is a nice DD cam but have it ground on a 112ēlsa. This will work very well with a stock converter. It will really expand the torque bubble from right off idle. Just the rpm range your looking to boost.
Roller rockers on street driven Gen 3's and 4's are like a TV set on a honeymoon.......not necessary. The factory rockers are quite good and with the Harland Sharp bearing mod they're unbeatable in performance and durability.
With that cam you will benefit from a good retune. Probably not necessary but your going to be leaving performance on the table.
The LS6 springs will work ok with that cam.

Good luck,

Richard
You read my mind. 112*lsa will make a huge difference. If he wants to stay cheap and minimize downtime, get the cam, springs, and PCM tuned. Hes only looking at $600 and a Saturday afternoon of downtime. He could easily see a 40rwhp gain from just these mods. The TQ gained off idle will make him

Quick Reply: 5.3 upgrades