INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3L + Victor Jr swap info...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 5.3L + Victor Jr swap info...

I have a good friend of mine who's chosen to go with a Vic Jr on his 5.3... he's got stock truck top end components on it right now and wants to know, start to finish, how to make the swap as cost effective as possible.

He'll be running an elbow and ported stock throttle body for a while... The main info we need is sensor swapping, and what type of injector he'll need... This is a cable TB...

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

anybody???
Old 03-19-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THE VIC JR. is this gonna be for FI? if not i wouldnt do it, the 5.3 doesnt have enough displacement, trust me i know i had one on my 5.3 and it sucked.. now if he had a hi compression 6.0 it would make wonders, this is the set up i have now..now for FI it would be great to have.. just my .02's
Old 03-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

its going to be on a high compression 5.3L... then on a F/I 5.7 or bigger later on...

I just need swap info. Thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cam sensor, crank sensor for sure, the ecm will still control what its hooked up to but the spark will be controled with the msd box, if i understand it right you will still be FI with this intake?? or carb? you wont need injectors with the carb but with the Fi the stock injectors should do the job until you go FI then your outa my leage. im still not sure what your set up is?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what year model truck this going in, 42 lb injectors should do the trick
Old 03-19-2008, 10:08 PM
FormerVendor

Edelbrock now has cast elbows to mount up to the ttb. Been a while since I looked up the price, but I think they were around a $100.00. You'll need to use the car style injectors because that's what the intake was designed for. There are a couple of vacuum taps (threaded holes) on the plenum portion of the intake. You may need to drill and tap one more hole to for the brake booster or PCV valve. I believe they have 2 vacuum taps as delivered. I'll verify this in the morning with the intake I have on the shelf. I'll check the cost on the elbow too. Let me know if you need a manifold. I sell them at a reasonable price and usually have them in stock.
Let me know if you have any specific questions about the intake and elbow setup and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

Richard
Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Edelbrock now has cast elbows to mount up to the ttb. Been a while since I looked up the price, but I think they were around a $100.00. You'll need to use the car style injectors because that's what the intake was designed for. There are a couple of vacuum taps (threaded holes) on the plenum portion of the intake. You may need to drill and tap one more hole to for the brake booster or PCV valve. I believe they have 2 vacuum taps as delivered. I'll verify this in the morning with the intake I have on the shelf. I'll check the cost on the elbow too. Let me know if you need a manifold. I sell them at a reasonable price and usually have them in stock.
Let me know if you have any specific questions about the intake and elbow setup and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

Richard

Thanks Richard

I was wondering about the MAP and a few of the vac connections mainly, if I need to drill for a few more, then thats no big deal I suppose. It would be great to know a price on the elbows and the intake together as well... The stock ported truck TB will be on for a bit, then on to a 90mm of some type I'm sure... probably a NW.

Also, fuel system?? rails, crossover, return etc etc... what do you suggest??
Old 03-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by foxls1
cam sensor, crank sensor for sure, the ecm will still control what its hooked up to but the spark will be controled with the msd box, if i understand it right you will still be FI with this intake?? or carb? you wont need injectors with the carb but with the Fi the stock injectors should do the job until you go FI then your outa my leage. im still not sure what your set up is?
it will still be injected... and use the stock ignition system

Originally Posted by skeet
what year model truck this going in, 42 lb injectors should do the trick
its in an 01... I'm looking for something around 30#'s maybe a hair more so I have room to grow.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Arrow

I looked at the intake I have here and it has one threaded hole (looks like 1/8" pipe or AN threads) into the plenum and one 1/2" pipe thread on top of the #8 runner. Presumably for the brake booster.
Edelbrock makes a bunch of different types of elbows They're available in a variety of different heights and they even have a box style elbow. Most or all will accept both stock and 90mm ttbs. The prices range from $115.00 to $190.00 depending on the type you need. I sell the Vic. Jr. manifolds for $390.00 plus shipping. The fuel rails are for the car style injectors. Presently Edelbrock doesn't have a cross over fule line, but one can be made from their Russell's line of parts.

Let me know if I've missed anything here or if you have any other questions.

Richard

Quick Reply: 5.3L + Victor Jr swap info...