INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

50PSI oil pressure up to 6000+ RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50PSI oil pressure up to 6000+ RPMs?

Something doesnt sound right to me here, but what do I know...

Car is a brand new 2010 1500 Silverado built by SLP. Has a 427 in it, with a TVS2300 at 8psi of boost and 4.10 gears, yes the truck is extremely fast incase you're wondering

Now the problem is, the car doesnt go above 50PSI of oil pressure even at about 6000+ RPMs, I shift at about 6250 but the MAX oil pressure I do see is 50psi. No drop in pressure it just doesnt go beyond that.

The car doesnt have an oil cooler, which I plan to install anytime soon, but im worried that ill face some oil pressure drop with the cooler. Granted cooler oil temps would yield higher oil pressure, and I might try to use a one step thicker oil just in case, but I would have loved to see a minimum of 10psi per 1000rpms or the like. FYI the car doesnt run too hot if you think thats thinning out the oil.

Should I swap the oil pump? or is there something limiting the pressure at 50PSI? it seems to stick to 50PSI nicely like something is holding it there.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:36 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try running thicker oil right off the bat. And what's the pressure at Idle?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

idle is about 35ish PSI or slightly below the center on the oil pressure gauge. I think the car is running 5w-30 right now, doesnt sound like the right oil to run, but I dont want to go very thick either. I could call SLP and ask them what oil they recommend, but it feels like there is something holding the pressure at 50psi.

What pressure does your car run at high rpms?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:02 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What oil do you run now?? Did they install a ported oil pump with a high flow spring???
Old 10-01-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by andrew383
What oil do you run now?? Did they install a ported oil pump with a high flow spring???
not really sure, just bought the truck and its brand new, but I think its running 5w-30? I know thats too thin and thats what im going to change in two days time, however I doubt the truck has any oil pump mods.

Tell me more about the high-flow spring?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:29 PM
traveling mod

Originally Posted by ayousef
not really sure, just bought the truck and its brand new, but I think its running 5w-30? I know thats too thin and thats what im going to change in two days time, however I doubt the truck has any oil pump mods.

Tell me more about the high-flow spring?
Ya its prob 5w30 if its brand new unless the builder put in something different..

The spring i refered to is in the oil pump..Several company's that sell ported pumps send along high flow and high pressure springs...

I would get ahold of SLP and see what they suggest what oil to run since you have higher temps over there...

If it was me id run some syn 15w40 in it
Old 10-01-2011, 05:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I run 20-50 mobil 1 in mine 40-80 psi
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 AM
11 Second Truck Club

If it's brand new, don't play a guessing game, call slp and see what they want. If they have the bearing clearances on the tight side, 5w30 is perfect and going thick could cause problems with oil flowing freely around the bearings. There is much much more to oil pressure then oil viscosity, and frankly I look at putting thick oil in as a band-aid to a bigger situation. Bottom line, get in touch with the builder before you do anything.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Did you reuse the oil pan? If so, it won't make a difference what oil you run. The relief valve in the oil pan near the oil filter will limit the oil pressure to 55psi. It relieves back to the oil pan.

If you bought a new oil pan specifically to get rid of the relief valve, then listen to what the other guys said.

Just because most people will ignore this, here is picture of it.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Coban
Did you reuse the oil pan? If so, it won't make a difference what oil you run. The relief valve in the oil pan near the oil filter will limit the oil pressure to 55psi. It relieves back to the oil pan.

If you bought a new oil pan specifically to get rid of the relief valve, then listen to what the other guys said.

Just because most people will ignore this, here is picture of it.
this is the sort of answer I was waiting to hear, because I can feel there is something HOLDING the pressure at 50is PSI, and it was pretty steady at 50PSI. Ill get alot of answers tomorrow when I figure out for starters what did this engine start its life as before it ended up being a 427

Quick Reply: 50PSI oil pressure up to 6000+ RPMs?