INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

6.2 breaking valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
You would really expect us to "warranty" a set of heads that is several years old, and has had multiple owners? Whether you call Summit, Jegs, WCCH, Walmart, etc that isn't going to happen. The heads have a 90 day warranty, first off. We've been known to take care of issues if there was clearly something we did wrong. But these have a LOT of miles on them, have been through numerous combos, etc. Expecting warranty on these is absurd.
Well, the OP conveniently left that information out, didn't he?

Thanks for replying to the thread & setting the record straight Matt. If they were used heads that are that old, there shouldn't be any warranty on them at all.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not trying to bash Mr. Layton. He has called and wasn't a d-bag like some could be in the same situation, we told him the same thing, and that was the end of it. I just felt I needed to clarify for the online guys who always want to post and act like someone not offering warranty is somehow doing an injustice to someone else without knowing the story and situation.

Last edited by Matt@Texas-Speed; 12-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
You would really expect us to "warranty" a set of heads that is several years old, and has had multiple owners? Whether you call Summit, Jegs, WCCH, Walmart, etc that isn't going to happen. The heads have a 90 day warranty, first off. We've been known to take care of issues if there was clearly something we did wrong. But these have a LOT of miles on them, have been through numerous combos, etc. Expecting warranty on these is absurd.
Wow.....the OP made it sounds like it was fairly new. Im sorry for my statement, if i would have known the story/age of the heads then i wouldnt have said anything about help towards a new set of heads. Thanks for clearing the story Matt
Old 12-14-2011, 01:54 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck on getting the guy back up and running!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by laytoncamaroz28
I gotta 05 gmc pickup with a 6.2 engine with l92 heads and it has a broke valve spring for the 2nd time. The first the engine had a tsp 220/220 cam with prc dual valve springs. I didnt do the work but the owner of the truck claimed the tech had told him he broke 3 different springs. The tech replace all the lifters and springs with ls7 lifters and a dif brand of dual valve springs (he dont remember the brand). He then drove for about 2k miles and I put a mid 230s with .620 lift cam in it. We got it retuned and he drove it for another 7k miles and now it broke a valve spring on the intake valve. The valve is completely loose in the guide so Im not sure what all is broke. Im going to remove the head tonight. Anybody heard or have a 6.2 break valve springs this often? any help is appricieted.
I clearly said here that the owner of the truck has put 9k miles on the truck with 2 different cams. I called tsp to see if they have ever had this and if there is warranty on the heads. I posted this thread to see if other members had ever had this problem, not to bash anybody.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the truck is up and running again but something caught my attention as to why a spring may have failed. The truck has ls7 lifters and if ur running 7.4 pushrods on a cam that more than likly has 230+ duration and .600+ lift dont u think it could be cause of wrong pushrod lenght? Just my thought but iirc the truck had kinda noisey valvetrain after that last cam swap he did.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless the push rod was wayyy to long I don't see how that could brake a valve spring, you would have to push it past its limits of 650 lift and with a 600 lift cam it would'nt even close the valve all the way and make like no power. Thats what I would think anyways?? Iv never seen anything like this eaither, Normally its side to side movment that makes valve springs weak and brake like a wore out valve guide, as you can see in this vid they already have alot of shakey movement at hi rpm.

Valvespring at 7000 RPM - YouTube