INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

6000RPM camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then do tell, man, cause every reputable company that I've seen that does cams charges anywhere from $350-$450, off the shelf or custom grind. The only cams I've seen that cheap are the regrinds, so enlighten us as to the place to get inexpensive but quality cams.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
Then do tell, man, cause every reputable company that I've seen that does cams charges anywhere from $350-$450, off the shelf or custom grind. The only cams I've seen that cheap are the regrinds, so enlighten us as to the place to get inexpensive but quality cams.
Do to site rules I can not publicaly Post the name or contact Info as I have already been warned.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comp makes a great cam that would fit well. Its there newest lobe design too.

215/223 .604/.610 112
219/227 .607/.614 112

I wouldnt ever buy those crappy cheap cams. There is a reason Comp is basically the only company everyone gets their cams from. They are also what vendors sell, Comp also makes most of the stupid camshafts with names too from what Ive found.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Launching!

was wondering when "mr. comp cams" would show up. the cam i have is not a regrind. have been running it hard for over 2 years now with no problems. there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. you dont have to pay $400 and up for a quality cam. and my opinion is your leaving too much on the table with the low lift cams. notice that most aftermarket cams are pushing over .550 lift
Old 05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
I wouldnt ever buy those crappy cheap cams. There is a reason Comp is basically the only company everyone gets their cams from. They are also what vendors sell, Comp also makes most of the stupid camshafts with names too from what Ive found.
That's true, I know for certain that a number of the LS1Tech vendors have their cams ground by Comp.

The one "issue" I have with all the "off the shelf" Comp stuff is the +10degrees of extra exhaust duration. With headers and good exhaust, LS1s don't really seem to "need" the extra exhaust duration till you reach somewhere past the 240s range. Unneeded exhaust duration hurts efficiency and nets very little extra power.

More and more, its starting to look like I'm just going to need to bite the bullet, swap to the new 7K RPM gauge cluster (even though I really don't like the Escalade gauges), and keep going. Anything other than stock seems to need to run past 6K and not doing so is leaving power band on the table.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by acethedragon
was wondering when "mr. comp cams" would show up. the cam i have is not a regrind. have been running it hard for over 2 years now with no problems. there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. you dont have to pay $400 and up for a quality cam. and my opinion is your leaving too much on the table with the low lift cams. notice that most aftermarket cams are pushing over .550 lift
So true on the price. Unfortunitally your paying for markiting and advertising. Keep this in Mind. There not actually making The cam shaft blanks there buying them from a cam core company. comp only finish grinds them to spec for you. There is atleast 3-4 cam grinding conpanies here in southern California that I know of and they all get there cores from the same place. But they all charge different prices...

If any one wants Proof of this PM Pat aka EVILGMC and ask him Who Ground the new cam he is running in his truck and what he payed for it after his Comp Cam Failed.... You can also Ask Lee aka SikTruk Who Ground his cam and what he payed for it.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy

LS1 manifold
Off topic, but I think here is a problem...

The LS6 intake will be much better, or leave your stock intake on. There is no gain from the LS1 or LS2 Intakes, it will actually lose power(and $$ from the change over).

High end HP (6500+ rpm), LS6 or FAST intake (with mods, see below)
Low end TQ, Truck intake

Loss in both... LS1 or LS2 Intake.
And your DBW not cable, you'll have do change water pump or modify yours, move the idler pulley. bla bla bla.... PITA unless going to a FAST car style or L92+L76 or LS3(same thing).

I have tried the LS2... and lost .3 in the 1/4 Mi. compared to the stock truck intake.

Wait and deal with this intake swap after your done with the T56 swap, don't have too many mods going on at once

Do a search, you'll see
Good Luck

Steve
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

see the cam in my sig... it is a 108+2, on the dyno it kept pulling past 6700... But the midrange is far better than the previous cams i have had 220 114+4 and 222/224 112+2...
Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado
Off topic, but I think here is a problem...

The LS6 intake will be much better, or leave your stock intake on. There is no gain from the LS1 or LS2 Intakes, it will actually lose power(and $$ from the change over).

High end HP (6500+ rpm), LS6 or FAST intake (with mods, see below)
Low end TQ, Truck intake

Loss in both... LS1 or LS2 Intake.
And your DBW not cable, you'll have do change water pump or modify yours, move the idler pulley. bla bla bla.... PITA unless going to a FAST car style or L92+L76 or LS3(same thing).

I have tried the LS2... and lost .3 in the 1/4 Mi. compared to the stock truck intake.

Wait and deal with this intake swap after your done with the T56 swap, don't have too many mods going on at once

Do a search, you'll see
Good Luck

Steve
Thanks, but I'm actually quite happy with my LS1 manifold

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...97#post4454497

I was aware of all the "issues" before I did the LS1 swap but I had already converted to f-body accessories 3 years ago, the intake was $25, it gave me added reason to relocate all the wiring, it looks better, and in the end fit what I want out of the truck better (upper mid/high RPM vs low RPM).

I mention the LS1 vs LS6 debate in my post but point out something key, they are both almost identical in HP up till 5500+ on a 346CI. This is entirely a result of the smaller plenum (only difference between LS1 and LS6). On our smaller 327CIs, the LS1 has more than enough plenum space to get the job done (provided we are not talking High HP/High (6500+) RPM). The shorter runners also respond faster to transient conditions (in the mid (3500-4500) range, my truck is much more responsive than with the truck manifold).

in short.... lower RPM vs Higher RPM

I'm in no way saying it is for everyone! I'm just stating the reasons why I'm happy with the results.

side port...IF I later want to spend $350+ for an LS6 manifold, it's a 10min swap.
Attached Thumbnails 6000RPM camshaft-img_0999.jpg  

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 05-04-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Thanks, but I'm actually quite happy with my LS1 manifold

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...97#post4454497

I did not know it was already in.
I am glad you like the difference with it.
Some do not like the loss of low end torque. Just looking out for ya.

I see you got around the accessory mods by going for the complete change over. Nice

Good work, and good luck

Quick Reply: 6000RPM camshaft