INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

700+ cu in? Short question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A buddies of mine has a 427 sbc that makes just under 650hp at the crank. It spins to 6400 and makes gobs of torque. This is in a '94 ext cab semi daily/weekend warrior. It is super dependable with minimal maintenace... getting less than 100 miles on a 15 gal fuel cell puts a damper on the road trips, though. Lol. I vote small block!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lsx 454 and turbo. 1000hp can be had for a few cents less than 40k
Old 04-01-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is what you need if you are dreaming big. http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/p..._454lsx_tt.pdf
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SLO TRUCK
here is what you need if you are dreaming big. http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/p..._454lsx_tt.pdf
No kidding.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zeake
lsx 454 and turbo. 1000hp can be had for a few cents less than 40k
$40K???
That can be had for a bit less that $20K!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spoolin
$40K???
That can be had for a bit less that $20K!!!
I was leaving room for beer and chips.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Spoolin
You can get into the 7xx now with a proper big block. But there's a point of diminishing returns when it comes to ci. You can go that big but you can't spin them, the bigger you go the less they will want to spin so the less power your gonna make. Just food for thought.
So when every Promod car in the country is going to bigger and bigger motors you are saying they arnt gaining power. I know for a fact that our promods. When we went from 738's to the 840's have picked up 250hp and they will now rev way higher than before. The 738's made peak power at 7600 and by 8000 they were out of breath, now the 840's make peak power at 8800 rpm and continue to pull but we dont turn them any higher to keep the piston speed down. If the heads, cam, and intake manifold is designed correctly gaining rpm will not be a problem.

Also you said they will make diesel like torque. Well if they make the torque they have to make the power also seeing as how HP is a product of torque.
HP = TQ x RPM / 5252.

Im not saying that it would be smart to run an engine that big in a street car or that it would even last, but saying things about stuff and giving false information is not the best way to go about answering this guys question.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Launching!

whoops signed in on the wrong screename. That post ^ is me i didnt know I had 2 names on here and typed a letter different and it let me sign in.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
I want something I get in a drive on the street without calling a tow truck every third outing
That's what I'm about...I like to take my truck on trips, like from Jersey to see my buddy in Massachusettes...I enjoy the trip because I enjoy driving my truck, that's what's fun to me
Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by N2OGMC
So when every Promod car in the country is going to bigger and bigger motors you are saying they arnt gaining power. I know for a fact that our promods. When we went from 738's to the 840's have picked up 250hp and they will now rev way higher than before. The 738's made peak power at 7600 and by 8000 they were out of breath, now the 840's make peak power at 8800 rpm and continue to pull but we dont turn them any higher to keep the piston speed down. If the heads, cam, and intake manifold is designed correctly gaining rpm will not be a problem.

Also you said they will make diesel like torque. Well if they make the torque they have to make the power also seeing as how HP is a product of torque.
HP = TQ x RPM / 5252.

Im not saying that it would be smart to run an engine that big in a street car or that it would even last, but saying things about stuff and giving false information is not the best way to go about answering this guys question.
You are correct, however your taking my statement out of context. I'm not saying that you can't make power with 800+ cubic inches "in the whole of engine building". This discussion is about Street motors not about Pro modified class motors. If he was asking about running 800ci on a track car I'd be saying something different, but he's asking for...

...street driven, saturday night special sleeper type
...which can drive like his 4.3
...doesn't want to spend +40K$
...and wants the capability of going on a 12 hour road trip
What I am saying he can't do it on the street in the manner in which he is looking to do it. The heads and valvetrain ALONE needed to spin a 800ci engine 8500 rpm's would cost near $40K.

Additionally...

HP = TQ x RPM / 5252.
Wrong! I know the HP formula very well, and in that formula is also RPM's. Just because an engine makes toque does not mean it's gonna make power. Diesel's are torque monster's but have comparatively very low HP. On the opposite side of the spectrum Formula 1 engine's make 900+ hp at 18,000 rpm's but only make 202 ft/lb of torque. You can't just take a variable out of the equation and still expect it to make power.
My whole point of what I originally posted is that the high stresses created by large pistons and long strokes may limit the maximum rpm's at which the engine can safely or efficiently operate. (hence my original point of diminishing returns).

True that to a point bigger can be better, but building 800+ cubic inch motor for the street will cost more and produce less than something a fraction of that size for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by Spoolin; 04-01-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 700+ cu in? Short question.