INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

700 hp cam shaft...sound good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin
You have the 236/230 cam going into your Trick twin turbo kit, or your old cam that you used for your twin butt-mounted turbo's? Or are you using the same one for both applications?
Yes, to all those questions

We may change it out depending on how it looks when Rex degrees the cam, but it's a good power maker for larger cubes and I really liked how it drove. Those are almost the exact specs as mine lol.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

207/218 117lsa? How will that effect the power band, what will it look like? 1000hp is great for track set-up's sure but not so useful/practical on the street due to how that hp is brought on.
I'm interested in hearing more though, how will she behave at 18psi?
You run a turbo man, cam doesn't matter as much unless this is a race car. (He says while secretly lusting after a bigger BIG cammy cam.)

I'm with TJ there. It will drive nicely in your truck with 374/370 cubes and make pretty great power. It's cheap, it's easy.

Having said that, it won't perform as well on an STS as a front mount. My experience with the STS set up and smaller exh housings, is that you want an intake bias to help the keep the turbo from choking on the exhaust side. Once I started up'ing the power, I really started generating exhaust pressure (remember the engine fire?) and my forward split really started to run rough. Switching to the reverse split and virtually the same settings made the truck very nicely mannered again and about 3000 times easier to tune.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the dyno sheet, it looks like the pull started at 4000rpm. How do you know what your tq curve below that look like if that's when the pull was started?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

207/218 117lsa? How will that effect the power band, what will it look like? 1000hp is great for track set-up's sure but not so useful/practical on the street due to how that hp is brought on.
I'm interested in hearing more though, how will she behave at 18psi?
more flat and peak sooner.

I have the perfect cam for you..

218 215 on a 115 +4 with about 575-600 lift....
Old 08-30-2008, 01:58 AM
Banned

The numbers are fun but the power under curve is dismal. The Y-axis on this graph is super stretched out which gives the appearance that it's a nice flat torque curve, but in actuality it's really really peaky. I wish I had a different one to show but this is all I have.

For the reasons you state. Wouldn't make any sense especially with how I use the truck. I didn't want to build a CCSB set-up for the strip, since I rarely go there. I used to have a 3000 Vig in my truck and really didn't like the way it drove...preference, and turbo's like load too.
I also had 4.10's in there but I would blow through my power band in a blink of an eye. Wouldn't see full boost in 1st or 2nd and when I did see it in 3rd I'd blow right through it.
Not sure if this is just me but I figure that between 300-500 hp/tq 4.10's are the best bet. Between 500-700 hp/tq 3.73's are ideal, and 700 on up 3.42's would work best. All depending on the way the power is made of course, I'm thinking turbo's here. I might of overshot with my gears Dusty, but I have room to grow expecially when I do put a small shot on here, all it's doing now is keeping me in my power band longer.
Right now around town I get 13 mpg and maybe 18mpg on the highway with my gears, and that's a big step up from the 5mpg and 9 mpg I got with the 4.10's + 3000 and a couple other things I had going.
your gearing theory isnt all that accurate. reason stated it depends on the use of the vehicle. ive seen 8s turbo ls1s with steep gears. fireball comes to mind. he has 3.89s and went high 8s. yes he did run out of gearing and let off at 1000' mark and still trapped 15xmph. but look what he did with high gears. again its all in what is used for. 410s would work on a solid launch. you say you couldnt 60' but did you even try to get boost up on launch? just stating it all depends on application and overall use.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:20 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7845
your gearing theory isnt all that accurate. reason stated it depends on the use of the vehicle. ive seen 8s turbo ls1s with steep gears. fireball comes to mind. he has 3.89s and went high 8s. yes he did run out of gearing and let off at 1000' mark and still trapped 15xmph. but look what he did with high gears. again its all in what is used for. 410s would work on a solid launch. you say you couldnt 60' but did you even try to get boost up on launch? just stating it all depends on application and overall use.
No your right, it's all dependent on application and use...I tried putting a disclaimer in there but failed!
From trying different combo's on my truck...shorter gearing has worked best and I've had better results. And I've tried building boost at the line, but I can't...cam too big!

Hell I can't even do a burnout! I have absolutely NO power in the low RPM range...there's a vid of me at the strip a couple weeks ago and I was floored at the tree and launched with I think 1psi or maybe it was 0 . I have a 2600 stall in my truck and my RPM's were stuck at 2100ish. A N/A stock 6L should be able to push up to to my verter, but not with this big cam that I have in here.
It's all good though, this is part of the fun, I wouldn't have it otherwise. I'd be bored if my set-up didn't have some hic-ups in it!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:27 AM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
From the dyno sheet, it looks like the pull started at 4000rpm. How do you know what your tq curve below that look like if that's when the pull was started?
Nahh....they started it from 3000 RPM's. This was a dyno pack and they loaded up the turbo at 2500 and went WOT at 3K

Vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzp3-pUavkU

AFR scan, you can see where the fueling actually begins, not sure if this is the right way to show it!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:31 AM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
more flat and peak sooner.

I have the perfect cam for you..

218 215 on a 115 +4 with about 575-600 lift....
LOL...it falls within all the criteria I was looking for!
Is that your old cam? If it is I'll try it out just to see what she'll do on my truck! It at least sounds interesting! Is that lift .575 on the intake and .600 exh? or the other way around? I was aiming at a smaller lift on the exhaust...
Old 08-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Banned

No your right, it's all dependent on application and use...I tried putting a disclaimer in there but failed!
From trying different combo's on my truck...shorter gearing has worked best and I've had better results. And I've tried building boost at the line, but I can't...cam too big!

Hell I can't even do a burnout! I have absolutely NO power in the low RPM range...there's a vid of me at the strip a couple weeks ago and I was floored at the tree and launched with I think 1psi or maybe it was 0 . I have a 2600 stall in my truck and my RPM's were stuck at 2100ish. A N/A stock 6L should be able to push up to to my verter, but not with this big cam that I have in here.
It's all good though, this is part of the fun, I wouldn't have it otherwise. I'd be bored if my set-up didn't have some hic-ups in it!
well in that case what if you went with say a converter 1000rpms higher? i know you dont want that but im just tossing the idea out there. as for not even doing it on motor i would look into other things honestly. cause a low compression 6.0 should still turn tires over. but then again you have the style intake that isnt known to make lowend either. for how you drive your truck i honestly think you would be better off with a more conventional intake like teh truck one or the ls6. for your setup it just sounds like a bunch of mismatched parts for your combo to be acting the way it does. once sorted out your truck should be a runner.

from my gatherings and my experience alot of ppl over do things. go with simple yet proven combos and youll never be left questioning things. being a pioneer of something leads to a empty wallet.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:00 AM
GFYS and STFU

well in that case what if you went with say a converter 1000rpms higher? i know you dont want that but im just tossing the idea out there. as for not even doing it on motor i would look into other things honestly. cause a low compression 6.0 should still turn tires over. but then again you have the style intake that isnt known to make lowend either. for how you drive your truck i honestly think you would be better off with a more conventional intake like teh truck one or the ls6. for your setup it just sounds like a bunch of mismatched parts for your combo to be acting the way it does. once sorted out your truck should be a runner.
I like...actually LOVE the way my truck drives as a DD. But as we all are guilty of doing, we get antsy and want to play with things that are fine the way they are. Know what I mean.
I'm just ready for something different. I raced a cammed, intake, exhaust, LT's and tuned C6 tonight and kept up with him no problem...had we had more room I'm sure I could of pulled on him. Like I said it runs strong, just want to do something a bit different and see what else I can pull from this set-up, without compromising the drive ability of the truck.

Tonight I tried to do a burnout for a photoshoot with my big brother and some friends with SS's and I couldn't do a burnout to save my life...get sideways at 70mph...sure no prob!
What's hurting me down low is a few things, gears, 4L80E, Vic jr., cam, LT's, and my boost controller. The biggest of them all I would say is my 3.42's. 2 weeks ago with my 4.10's I was able to do a burnout(albeit I had to rock the truck a little with the brakes). Tonight...Nada. The vic jr. hurts but Thunder550 has the same one and he's fine.

And your right there are some mismatched parts but not as many as you'd think, just a few and they happen to be big ones really, and that was my fault for being a newb when I started this build.

from my gatherings and my experience alot of ppl over do things. go with simple yet proven combos and youll never be left questioning things. being a pioneer of something leads to a empty wallet.
Definitely good advice and from my experiences I too agree 100%, it should be posted somewhere were newbs can see it. But I'm way to far into the game to heed that kinda advice! Then again we have a tendancy to learn from our own mistakes and not from others mistakes, hence why I put my hand on the kettle AFTER my mom told me not too!
Blownchevy has a similar saying but like I told him...too late now!

Quick Reply: 700 hp cam shaft...sound good?