INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Anyone ever used a Schneider cam in their LS motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever used a Schneider cam in their LS motor?

Great old school grinder with tons of history. they have a couple cams that seem to have decent specs. All seem to have relatively low lift. here's a link:

Schneider Racing Cams - Hydraulic Roller Lifter Camshafts
Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing very exciting in there. Some might work well with 1.8 rockers. It looks like they are behind the times, though.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

yeah, I was kind of surprised at the low lift numbers. How about Isky cams? They were legendary in the original days of hot rodding.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run Isky in all my stuff...You have to go custom tho to get anything good all their shelf stuff is super low lift...
Old 07-22-2011, 03:38 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned, all of those cams could use more lift...might be good for someone with 1.8 rockers already, or someone who wants a mild DD with long spring life. LS6 springs would love those cams.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Praise The Lowered

I have ran 3 Different ls Scneider cams and all 3 performed great..They have really fast ramp rates and the power comes in fast...Give the owner Jerry Cantrell a call and he will spec you a custom cam with decent lift for around $350..There cams used to hold a bunch of records back in the day..Bruce Crower got his start at Scnieder as well..I just wanted to try something different this time..as everything I have put a cam in since I was a teenager has been Scneider..as well as running the iron cross sticker on my window..
Old 07-24-2011, 03:26 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
I have ran 3 Different ls Scneider cams and all 3 performed great..They have really fast ramp rates and the power comes in fast...Give the owner Jerry Cantrell a call and he will spec you a custom cam with decent lift for around $350..There cams used to hold a bunch of records back in the day..Bruce Crower got his start at Scnieder as well..I just wanted to try something different this time..as everything I have put a cam in since I was a teenager has been Scneider..as well as running the iron cross sticker on my window..
I've always liked their logo myself...I have one of their iron crosses on one of my tool boxes

Good to hear that they're still doing well, and I had no idea that the owner had the same name as the late lead singer of Alice in Chains
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Launching!

I'm getting ready to send my cam to Schnieder cams to be reground. I have a friend who has his own speed shop and he has always used schnieder, as long as I can remember. His 55 chevy goes 7.50 @ 183. Not a LS, a stroked 427 alchol blowen.Stroked to 522.
I called them and told them what I wanted and they said they could turn a new cam for 400 or regrind my comp cam for 150. Right now it's 224/230 and 581/588 with a 112 LSA. They said that I should be 240/248 and 595/612 with a 110 LSA. The Lobe seperation was wrong and I should be at 110. I'm carbed instead of EFI and that was the difference. Will be getting it out and sending it off this coming week. Unless it's just to hot to work in the garage.
Anyway thats my 2 cents. Give them a call and get a cam spect for you.They said they have quite a few LS customers with EFI and CARB.

Steve
Old 07-25-2011, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Good to hear. I want a mellow daily driver cam that'll pass kalifornia emission BS
Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Steve Sr.
I'm getting ready to send my cam to Schnieder cams to be reground. I have a friend who has his own speed shop and he has always used schnieder, as long as I can remember. His 55 chevy goes 7.50 @ 183. Not a LS, a stroked 427 alchol blowen.Stroked to 522.
I called them and told them what I wanted and they said they could turn a new cam for 400 or regrind my comp cam for 150. Right now it's 224/230 and 581/588 with a 112 LSA. They said that I should be 240/248 and 595/612 with a 110 LSA. The Lobe seperation was wrong and I should be at 110. I'm carbed instead of EFI and that was the difference. Will be getting it out and sending it off this coming week. Unless it's just to hot to work in the garage.
Anyway thats my 2 cents. Give them a call and get a cam spect for you.They said they have quite a few LS customers with EFI and CARB.

Steve
Very interesting, I didn't think that the LSA could be altered via a regrind, only lift and duration? But if Schneider says that they can do it, I guess that it's possible . I'm going to assume that at the very least the base circle will have to be altered to achieve the lift and duration numbers, and you will need to measure to get the correct pushrod length to allow for the proper lifter preload.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever used a Schneider cam in their LS motor?