INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Anyone run Texas Speed Brawler LS3 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 122 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Anyone run Texas Speed Brawler LS3 heads?

As title says, the Texas Speed Brawler LS3 Style CNC Ported Cylinder Heads w/ TSP .660" Spring Kit and Titanium Retainers

Any feedback on these or similar heads?

To put the LSA blower on my truck I will either need adapter plates to stock 317 LQ4 heads or to replace the heads with square port of some sort.

I could obviously go cheap with some refurbished LS3 heads which would be an improvement over the stock LQ4 head, which would cost what, $800-1000 after updating springs and necessary parts?

Or I could step up to these TSP ported heads for $2k complete, and "gain 25hp" on top of the stock LS3 head which probably gains what, 10-25hp over the 317 heads, everything is compounded with bigger CU In engine (expecting around 390) with a blower on top.

I seem to remember Matt from sloppy mechanics did a head swap on his G that he supercharged, and I think it made real close to 50hp gain just from the heads so that should be ballpark gain I think. This is one of those "well if you just spend a little more" moments... and the snowball started at the top of the hill at 4" and ended up at the bottom at 4 ft around lol. I don't necessarily want to go passed $2k for heads because that starts to become a lot of money put out for less gain that I probably wouldn't notice or care about. If you're already traction limited at 400hp tire, what's the difference at traction limited at 450hp tire.... except a lighter wallet.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,278 Likes on 975 Posts

Personally I think adapters are homosex in this day and age. Rec port heads are not expensive anymore.
The following users liked this post:
The_W (09-05-2024)
Old 10-15-2023, 05:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 465 Likes on 365 Posts

I’m in the same boat so to speak. I also need rec port heads to go with a larger blower. Everything I have read says that heads make almost zero difference with boost. So, I’m going to pick up a set of stock heads, mill them and have a valve job done and send them.
Old 10-15-2023, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

I haven't run them, but I did buy them and I must say they look nice!

I got them Black Friday 2022 for like $1300 I think
Old 10-15-2023, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Probably won't see that price again, that's a good score. I expect this Black Friday/Cyber Monday is going to cost me plenty, buying parts for an engine build + supporting mods.

In some ways yes, boost kind of negates the usefulness of a worked up head. I guess what you end up gaining on some fancy heads is boost restriction/pressure going down, and power staying the same or increasing slightly. So less restriction(PSI), less heat, more efficient operation.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 88 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree with the above, dont do adapter plates. I have some ls3 heads from texas speed, these are back from like 2015 before they started milling their own. You can find some rectagle port heads for decent price if you look hard enough.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbravo
In some ways yes, boost kind of negates the usefulness of a worked up head. I guess what you end up gaining on some fancy heads is boost restriction/pressure going down, and power staying the same or increasing slightly. So less restriction(PSI), less heat, more efficient operation.
Power will be dictated by the CFM the blower puts out at its configured pulley ratio. As stated, a better flowing head will reduce manifold pressure due to being more efficient. This will only gain a minor amount of overall power. The cavoite to this is if the blower is being overspun and outside of its efficiency range on the compressor map due to boost level. Lowering the head restriction, thus boost, putting the blower back in its efficiency range, would gain more. A bigger advantage of an aftermarket head on a high boost application is the thicker decks allowing higher clamping loads to prevent lift.

If you are not intending to max out the LSA, I vote for a stock(ish) rec port head with good bolts/studs in this situation.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:20 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

I run the PRC as cast aftermarket LS3 heads. I think the intake runners are around 260cc. I chose the aftermarket LS3 head for the thicker deck surface on my 408 with a 3.6L blower.

as far as someone saying that heads do not affect power on a boosted app; boost PSI is just a measurement of restriction. With good heads you can make more power with less boost, but that does not mean that you are not flowing more air.
Old 09-04-2024, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Hey guys, guess what?

I've run these heads! Like 5 heat cycles and all the way up to 4k rpm, even

between these heads, tiny base circle cam and the link bar Johnsons, I needed a 7.535 pushrod. That size doesn't exist for restricted rods, but does exist via TSP in an unrestricted rod

So I bought 7.550 restricted Smith rods and .015 stainless shims on McMaster

Started her on 9/2, purrs like an angry and hungry kitten holding a grudge. Actually much quieter than my decked stock LS3 heads sounded at idle. Not sure any of the geometry is different in the Brawler heads, but they seem to be doing god's work on top of my new motor

Current recommendation is buy them, and buy them as soon as you can
The following 3 users liked this post by arthursc2:
shakenfake (09-05-2024), silentbravo (09-05-2024), wretched73 (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Sweet! My pair are sitting in wait along with a whole lot of other stuff... next year I hope.
The following users liked this post:
arthursc2 (09-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Anyone run Texas Speed Brawler LS3 heads?