INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Anyone running a kick out oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't speak for the other guys, but I didn't mean to hurt your feelings brother, just seems kinda funny to me man that's all...never considered the truck pan as problematic...
Old 06-04-2010, 08:30 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the truck pan for what most of us do with our trucks, It works fine and does it's job. But there is better out there. Same with intakes...there's nothing wrong with the truck intakes either but people are constantly swapping on different ones to see what's what. I'm just moving on to different parts of the motor. And since I had issues with my last set-up I'm researching what else is out there and what I can do. I'd like to be able to pull some vacume on the crancase with either a belt driven pump or something similar but I don't think it's realistic so I'm just trying to find alternatives and asking around. Just looking for information, not a flame job for asking questions.

Windage losses on a 1000hp motor can become pretty substantial, so I'm researching what to do before I drop the motor in.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Pat what's the c6 pan look like or what makes it different from our pans? The ZR1 pan is a dry sump I believe right, is the c6 dry or wet?

1LOW4x4, a kick out is an additional chamber that would be found on the passenger side of the pan. It reduces windage effect that a crank see's on a typical oil pan. When the crank rotates it slings oil in a clockwise direction, the kickout gives the oil a place to accumulate and drain back into the sump as apposed to being "churrned" by the counter weights. The more oil mist/vapor/dropplets that are suspended in the crankcase the more resistance it causes the crank to have to fight through i.e. windage effect. A properly set-up crankcase can net a significant gain in hp as well as more efficient lubrication system.
Awesome man thanks for the info. Always up for a good 'learnin. BTW FWIW I think that payin attention to the small details is what makes people win races!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=1LOW4X4;4473804]Awesome man thanks for the info. Always up for a good 'learnin. BTW FWIW I think that payin attention to the small details is what makes people win races![/QUOTE]

WERD!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Come on now If we cant Pick on you Then whats the point of being on here... LOL

Ok seriously though It is probally un-likely that any one Is running a Pan Like what you are reffering to In a truck application. You will most likely have to modify the Front crossmember. The pan will most likely have to be custom made too...

Can It be done? YES

Will it fix a Blow by issue You had with your other motor? NO

Will a kick out prevent you from starveing the motor? NO

Don't forget The oil filter housing pad Is built into the Driver side of the pan. so in order to kick out that way you will have to relocate the filter...

Just food for thought...
Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Way to lead the charge Brain, I guess making a truck handle the twisties makes more sense than improving crankcase issues on high hp engines, and by issues I mean my last motor was blowing oil out the oil pan seal as well as the EVAC lines poping off while under boost, but maybe I'm just paranoid...
Tuck your ***** back in junior, the question I asked was relevant. I did not say I disagreed with you in principal, I am just wondering what your are trying to achieve. In my opinion, there is more to it than a different oil pan, I have owned, and seen plenty of high HP engines that did not require a special oil pan to achieve perfection. I hate to see people over complicate and over spend on what is a simple thing, but hey its your deal and your wallet.....go for it. I think you are barking up the wrong tree, but hey that's my .02.

I guess I will get back to "making my truck handle the twisties".

If you are not looking for input then don't ask for it.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:09 AM
GFYS and STFU

Thanks Joseph, I think Morosso makes a kick out pan to fit our applications, not 100% sure though. I remember someone on here having one on their shortblock but forgot who it was, I wanna say dhpro but I could be wrong. Also the kick out is usually on the passenger side due to the crank's rotation. Most off the shelf kick out pan's that are on the market for LS engines have a notch in it because of the starter. I've heard some people relocate the starter to the driver's side but those who do that usually are also running a dry-sump system and don't have the filter in that location anyways.

Brian...your too easy!!

So I guess the answer to my question was...no, nobody has tried running one then.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:10 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian...your too easy!!

you think you got me you Mary? Pshhh, takes allot more than that.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:13 AM
GFYS and STFU

"That was easy" score-card...

BlownChevy/GMC/Element: 1
Spoolin: 1
Old 06-05-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
you think you got me you Mary? Pshhh, takes allot more than that.
"That was easy" score-card...

BlownChevy/GMC/Element: 1
Spoolin: 1
here we go again

Quick Reply: Anyone running a kick out oil pan?