INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Argument at work on pulling my cam.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:03 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to pull my antenna off in order to change a burnt out bulb on my brake lights, truck's been down 4 months! Good news is that the blinker fluid shipped out from Saskatchewan and should be here soon so I should be back up and running shortly!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIM Z
... So i bet most of us here as hobbyists are BETTER mechanics than those retarded dicklickers.
Wow Tim! You're kinda fired up. Your whole post sounded like u were pissed, & I only kept the funny part.

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03
You do have to lower the oil pan if you're changing the timing chain though in order to get to the bolt on the pick up tube so you can remove the pump, still nowhere near removing the engine. ... you can do rod bolts with the engine still in ....
Agreed. Just like u said, & someone else. Pick up tube bolt came out kinda easy, but couldn't restart it in. Not w/o dropping it in pan IDK how many times. Good thing, as a precaution, I drained oil anyway. Maybe someone w/ small fingers can do w/o dropping pan tho. That o-ring is a bear too; make sure u get the right 1. And don't lose it.

Originally Posted by A Low Dime
Yep, it says 18.6 hours to replace the cam. $293 to buy the stock cam through the dealer at cost. But I agree with it not taking near that long. BUT They also remove the starter and they remove the lifters and all that mess so that wont fall in, which is something we dont do. Even then, 18 hours is plenty.
So, mfr's warranty is 14.5 & standard is 18.6. I'm no tech, but is that difference (or any difference) normal between warranty & standard? Std. means normal outta pocket to consumer, right? That must be why they say warr. work doesn't pay. Cause to me, it looks as tho the tech gets the short end of the deal, & customer really loses if it's outta pocket. :nunchuk1:

Another way of lookin at it is 14.5 hrs. is what it should truly take them.

I'm w/. budhayes3, bet them that you don't have to pull engine, & then when you win, have them pay for your cam, springs, & pushrods.

Last edited by fastnblu; 02-06-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Fixed my quote to StrokerAce
Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastnblu

Agreed. Just like u said, & someone else. Pick up tube bolt came out kinda easy, but couldn't restart it in. Not w/o dropping itin pan IDK how many times. Good thing, as a precaution, I drained oil anyway. Maybe someone w/ small fingers can do w/o droppin pan tho. That o-ring is a bear too. And make sure u get the right 1. And don't lose it.

Lol, I must've dropped that damn bolt at least 4 times trying to get it started. Good thing I tied fishing line to it or I would've set the truck on fire......which I considered doing anyway a couple of times during that install.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:38 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, mfr's warranty is 14.5 & standard is 18.6. I'm no tech, but is that difference (or any difference) normal between warranty & standard? Std. means normal outta pocket to consumer, right? That must be why they say warr. work doesn't pay. Cause to me, it looks as tho the tech gets the short end of the deal, & customer really loses if it's outta pocket. :nunchuk1:
That's par for the course...often time warranty doesn't pay worth a **** and the tech loses his shirt, so when it comes time to set your own hours you try to make it more realistic and make a few bucks on the job too
Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Tim! You're kinda fired up. Your whole post sounded like u were pissed, & I only kept the funny part.
Yeah Tom i kinda was pissed when i read the 1st post, I hate when people make fun of other people when they dont know what they are talking about.

If poeple who know it all would try to be helpful instead of ******** the world would be a better place !
Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

shoot . . . ask them about what a DOD delete is . . .
Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They probly dont have a clue as to what that even is dude. lol
Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Stories like these are the reason I wouldn't even take my vette to the stealership for a free oil change.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A Low Dime
Yep, it says 18.6 hours to replace the cam. $293 to buy the stock cam through the dealer at cost. But I agree with it not taking near that long. BUT They also remove the starter and they remove the lifters and all that mess so that wont fall in, which is something we dont do. Even then, 18 hours is plenty.

wow 18 hours for a cam swap! Thats unreal, take about taking advanatage!

Speaking of stealerships, anybody ever call them out on there parts pricing compare to GMpartsdirect.com? I have a few time and they have no answer for me. I'll call there to confirm part numbers on things, but never buy anything from them! I had to install all new trans lines in my 8.1L I bought one hose from the stealership that was 99 bucks from them - GMparts it was 56. (my fault for not getting it on GMparts) The rest of the parts i bought from GMparts and I got pricing from the stealerships - the total difference in parts that totaled 280+/- bucks from Gmaparts was 117 dollars cheaper! Goes to show that they rape the customers through and through
Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

I believe it. I get discounts at this stealership and the price are sill outa this world.

Never hurd of GMpartsdirect.com. What is it like gm parts but at the prices they should be? lol

Quick Reply: Argument at work on pulling my cam.