INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Argument at work on pulling my cam.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show up and do the work in their parking lot so they can time ya.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Show up and do the work in their parking lot so they can time ya.
Not to make light of the cards you have been dealt, but it would be absolutely freaking hilarious to have you do it timed in front of them. Talk about a killer BURN!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

i should.. That would be funny as hell.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

I hate to see stories like this, i work for a chrysler dealership as a cummins tech and this **** gives all shops bad names. I looked up the labor time on the program we use to look up labor it says warry time is 8.0 and customer pay time is 23.1 it also says includes evac and recharge a/c and pull oil pan and pulling the heads to put lifters in because normally when u put a cam in at a dealer is cause cam is trashed, and more than likely trashed the lifters, i know this was not what u wanted done.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something for you to consider is to not listen to the people who aren't doing the job. If they haven't done what you're going to do and aren't going to be the one's doing it, just ignore them. No reason to be pissed off by them. As for dealership, it's not just them that would charge that much. Book time is book time and most general repair shops who haven't done the job and don't know much about the gen III engine would charge that much. By book time you're expected to remove the cylinder heads to remove the lifters which isn't needed for just a cam swap as well as the oil pump which isn't needed to be removed also. Honestly removing the lifters is the best way to do the cam since you leave no real room for issue's with getting the cam out and taking a chance on scuffing the cam bearings. In the real world almost none of us would ever do it that way. Someone brought up the point of warranty vs. customer pay and there is certainly a difference. This is part of the reason dealship tech's hate warranty work. A big part of the reason though that the difference is there is that they leave room for the fact that warranty vehicles are supposed to be very low miles and stock. Customer pay means that many modifications could have been done, corrosion due to milage, more time cleaning parts, etc, etc, etc, may cause more time in doing the job which flat rate has to account for. Hopefully the job goes well and smooth for you.

On the GMPartsDirect thing, they sell honestly at the cost that the dealership pays GM for. It's hard for the dealership to sell parts for the price that they pay for it and feel good about it. GMPartsDirect rely's on the kickback from GM that they get to make any profit which isn't very much. Of course though anyone that has bought from them know's that they make a pretty good amount from the outragous shipping charges that they bill you for to go with their crappy customer service.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Well put and thanks for the input on Gmpartsdirect.
I just dont see why they gota be such ******** about stuff.

Gess they dont like when some dum mill hunky like me tells them thier wronge. lol TOOBAD THEY'Err wronge