INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Basic Stockish LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Basic Stockish LQ4

I just picked up a 05 CCSB 5.3 2wd silverado the other day,it like a shared truck between me and my dad,i want more get up and go, but nothing super fast,and he does 2, but he also wants a little more towing power outta it, the catch is we wanna keep it 87oct,

so if i picked up an lq4 , and rebuilt it just so that i know its a fully fresh engine, what all should i do to it or could i do to it to give it a little more power while keeping it 87oct still? i dont want a race truck outta it, just a little more power

also id imagine that the 60e is gonna have a **** fit even with a little more power, so should i go with a 80e with like a HD2 shift kit or a flt lvl 3 60e or ???

also should i do a stall?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

basic bolt ons. intake, exhaust, headers, tune, maybe change the gears.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

just curious, but why do you want to keep it 87 octane? Also, if you just want a stock lq4, why not just build up the 5.3 a bit? Run a very small cam, supporting mods, and a good tune and you'll get better gas mileage than stock and have 50 more rwhp.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RandomHero
just curious, but why do you want to keep it 87 octane? Also, if you just want a stock lq4, why not just build up the 5.3 a bit? Run a very small cam, supporting mods, and a good tune and you'll get better gas mileage than stock and have 50 more rwhp.
i could consider that, but what about trq for towing, wouldn't i be better off with the lq4 for trq?

also i wanna keep it 87 because of gas prices and my dad for some reason would throw a **** fit when he put gas in it if he hada use 91, instead of 87 even tho its like 5$ more per full tank.. he doesn't care, he said the only way he'd be okay with 91 in it is if it got better gas mileage ,enough to justify his 5$ extra

and about the gears it has a g80 and 3.73's but we all kno that even slight mods itd take a **** so a locker will prob be on the list of mods also, but i dont think ima change to a diff ratio, id like to stay with 3.73s

what kinda stall would u use on a DD crew cab that also tows? i was thinkin like 2200?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:20 AM
SPAM HUNTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you need a tow truck...should have bought a duramax!....with bolt-ons and a cam...you should be able to tow alot...but why are you worried about a diff...are you going to mod it and rod the **** out of it...or just use it for towing?

Dustin
Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Parke10
i could consider that, but what about trq for towing, wouldn't i be better off with the lq4 for trq?

also i wanna keep it 87 because of gas prices and my dad for some reason would throw a **** fit when he put gas in it if he hada use 91, instead of 87 even tho its like 5$ more per full tank.. he doesn't care, he said the only way he'd be okay with 91 in it is if it got better gas mileage ,enough to justify his 5$ extra

and about the gears it has a g80 and 3.73's but we all kno that even slight mods itd take a **** so a locker will prob be on the list of mods also, but i dont think ima change to a diff ratio, id like to stay with 3.73s

what kinda stall would u use on a DD crew cab that also tows? i was thinkin like 2200?
First of all that makes no sense for several reasons

1.) Most people see better gas mileage with higher octane. You only need to get about 1.5 mpg better with 91/93 octane to pay for the extra cost at the pump

2.) Your dad isn't willing to pay $5 for more power on better gas, but he's willing to spend $1500 on an engine swap?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2005 Silverado
sounds like you need a tow truck...should have bought a duramax!....with bolt-ons and a cam...you should be able to tow alot...but why are you worried about a diff...are you going to mod it and rod the **** out of it...or just use it for towing?
Dustin
i dont need a tow rig i just want it 2 tow better when it needs to tow, its mainly a cruiser,"low rider" and i talk about the diff because the stock one is absolute ****,modded and stock trucks lose then pretty often and with a duramax gas is almost $5.00 a gallon, and that u really cant make a duramax a cruiser,low rider, and they cost a shitload more, like i said in my 1st post i dont wanna make a hotrod outta it, just give it some more *****

Originally Posted by RandomHero
First of all that makes no sense for several reasons

1.) Most people see better gas mileage with higher octane. You only need to get about 1.5 mpg better with 91/93 octane to pay for the extra cost at the pump

2.) Your dad isn't willing to pay $5 for more power on better gas, but he's willing to spend $1500 on an engine swap?
thats what i was saying to him and in my other post, if it gets around 2mpg better then hes okay with 91, and for yer 2nd question, im funding the swap
Old 05-21-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

TTT early morning crew
Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Bolt ons, Cam, Tune. Leave the rearend, replace it if it goes, my dad tows with his all the time and he has never had a problem with the G80, I blue mine cause i was being an idiot...
Old 05-21-2008, 09:08 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Also you can slam duramax's....decrank the torsions...spindles, remove the blocks, and well what i am getting at is all you can do to a 1500 you can do to a 2500

Dustin

Quick Reply: Basic Stockish LQ4