INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Benefits of rocker swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swift700
I've noticed that people who generally don't like aftermarket rockers usually don't own aftermarket rockers.
I think alot of people buy aftermarket rockers looking for that seat of the pants "10 hp"… I bought mine cause they look so GD purty lmao
Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
Imo, money could be better spent on other mods. If you want more lift, run a different cam profile.

Plus, you start running into diminishing returns on higher lift and stock heads.
What other mods can be had if you have Lt's,cam (even if it's not a bmf cam), intake. I know the heads need to be ported to get max flow. The only other thing that can be done is fi, spray, and a big as cube motor with spray or fi.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N/ALS1
What other mods can be had if you have Lt's,cam (even if it's not a bmf cam), intake. I know the heads need to be ported to get max flow. The only other thing that can be done is fi, spray, and a big as cube motor with spray or fi.
Well yes, those are mods worth doing.

I'm not sure of what you have done, or bought. You still need to get the power from the crank to the ground. Have you thought about the exhaust setup? What torque converter? Can you transmission handle the power? Can your driveshaft handle the power? Traction bars? What tires, wheels?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

^Weird. I've noticed people who suggest higher ratio rocker arms on a cam only LS engines, generally need some guidance.

^Clearly suffering from rocker envy.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

I've noticed that people who generally don't like aftermarket rockers usually don't own aftermarket rockers.
This makes me laugh. I agree with you.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The exhaust is gonna be pacesetter lt to true duals 2.5 to Bassani mufflers dumped after the axle. The tranns will be a built 65e with a 3200 tc. Gears I'm not sure but will get a tru trac, and wheels ? Don't know. I want to get 20, bu still kinda heavy.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^Clearly suffering from rocker envy.
Hey whatever makes you feel good about your $400-$500 purchase.

The exhaust is gonna be pacesetter lt to true duals 2.5 to Bassani mufflers dumped after the axle. The tranns will be a built 65e with a 3200 tc. Gears I'm not sure but will get a tru trac, and wheels ? Don't know. I want to get 20, bu still kinda heavy.
Looks like rocker arms should be near the bottom of your mod list then.

Side note; IMO, skip the true duals for a 3" exhaust. Saves money on piping and mufflers. Plus pacesetter collectors are 3". Don't worry about the 20s being heavy. It's not going to make that big of a difference. What you want to focus on is putting more section width of tire to the ground.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking of doing a 3" all the way back. Thought it would be restrictive, but it is $100 cheaper. Always a good thing. Well right now I'm running 305/40/22 so that is pretty wide.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Unless you plan on really racing the truck, don't worry about the wheels. Now, with that being said, they do make a difference or people wouldn't spend thousands on Bogarts for means of lesser rotational mass, putting the same amount of tread to the ground. Cam specs?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking of doing a 3" all the way back. Thought it would be restrictive, but it is $100 cheaper. Always a good thing. Well right now I'm running 305/40/22 so that is pretty wide.
I run a full 3" exhaust. Pacesetters to an ORY to an oval borla xr-1. I don't see how it could be very restrictive.

I'd run what you have, as far as wheels. Traction bars are what I'd be looking into.

Originally Posted by CC05
Unless you plan on really racing the truck, don't worry about the wheels. Now, with that being said, they do make a difference or people wouldn't spend thousands on Bogarts for means of lesser rotational mass, putting the same amount of tread to the ground. Cam specs?
Exactly what I was getting at, as far as street truck vs. track queen. Usually the guys running bogarts are trying for 9s. And they have a fully built truck before they spring for $3k wheels.

Quick Reply: Benefits of rocker swap?