INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Best Cam LSA for MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my tunnnnnning obviously sucks cause on paper gallons/miles is 10.5 to 11.5..... So I need some better tunnnning I guess!! Id be happy with 13-14 mpg geezzzzzzzz.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Do you just make stuff up so you have something to post? A cam is not going to lose you mpg if it is tuned correctly. Also where is the proof about comp not grind cams correctly.
Originally Posted by Damian

Exactly. Cam Motion doctors EVERY camshaft it ships, so when you get the cam card that is EXACTLY what the cam is. A nice little perk for the person building the engine. Can't say the same for Comp and their generic specs/cam card print outs. Most of their cams are 2-5 degrees off of what the card says.
There you go. Someone with a cam or thousand more experience than you.
I'm seriously wondering when it became acceptable to be rude on this forum, was never like this several years ago that I can remember.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coban
To actually answer your question, its overlap that you should reduce in order to maximize fuel economy.

In this case, since both cams have the same intake and exhaust durations, you can say that a "larger" LSA will have less overlap and will theoretically get better mileage.
I can sure see that on bigger cams. The cams we're talking about won't have any overlap even on a 111 lsa. On a fairly mild cam, wouldn't the cylinder pressure be higher, at say 2000 rpm, with a narrower LSA cam? Couldn't the higher cylinder pressure lead to a more effecient motor?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:23 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I can sure see that on bigger cams. The cams we're talking about won't have any overlap even on a 111 lsa. On a fairly mild cam, wouldn't the cylinder pressure be higher, at say 2000 rpm, with a narrower LSA cam? Couldn't the higher cylinder pressure lead to a more effecient motor?
You are right on.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
There you go. Someone with a cam or thousand more experience than you.
I'm seriously wondering when it became acceptable to be rude on this forum, was never like this several years ago that I can remember.
Hmmm i have no idea who that is so your post means nothing.

I am not being rude i just get tired of people posting negative or untruthful comments that they can not prove. Your post is a pefect example, you read that comp cams does not build to spec, now you post it as fact since someone else posted it.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Overlap should be based on advertised duration (.004" or .006" depending on the company). You will see overlap with small cams.

And to get even more specific, it is actually dependent on the area under the overlap curve. So a more aggressive lobe profile with faster ramp rates will behave worse than a "softer" lobe. We are just trying to minimize the volume of air (and fuel) that can bypass the combustion process.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:18 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Hmmm i have no idea who that is so your post means nothing.

I am not being rude i just get tired of people posting negative or untruthful comments that they can not prove. Your post is a pefect example, you read that comp cams does not build to spec, now you post it as fact since someone else posted it.

the person he quoted is a mod over on tech....
Old 11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Cam Motion was started by one of the Grind Master's from Crane 20+ years ago, because of the lack of grind consistency and the fact that nobody seemed to care from the major cam company's. Lonnie Langely was a Master Engine builder for Robert Yates and Holman Moody for years. He would hand read all the cams that he would get from COMP or Crane and 70% of them would be wrong. CAM MOTION and BULLET are the only cam companies that He would use because of this fact. I use HOWARDS cams (MADE IN THE USA), but have used Bullet and Cam Motion with no complaints.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as NA cams iv played with alot of different cams and every time the tighter lsa brings in torque quicker at the low rpm, like said.. more low end torque means more cylender pressure witch means you will make more power for the fuel you use so you get better mpg. Iv never been a big fan huge cams so they may be different idk.