INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Blown 383 stroker from a kit with a 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown 383 stroker from a kit with a 5.3L

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in Forced Induction, so if I'm in the wrong place let me know.

I have a lifted 2000 yukon with the 5.3 L and want some more power. I like the idea of a bigger ci motor and want to do a 383 stroker. I am thinking a 4" stroke and 3.095 bore.

I also would like to put on a blower. Being lifted and all I know I am gonna need some power down low and am leaning towards the radix or whipple. But, I would go with the procharger if the added ci of the stroker could help me get more power at low RPM's because I think thre procharger might have more potential for power than the roots or twin screw.

Anyways, I just broke off a headbolt on my LT header install and it might be pricey trying to get that out so if I am going to get new heads in the future anyways now might be a good time.

What head and cam package should I go with? I eventually want to use it to tow a boat in the future, go offroading, drive around town a little, and have some fun at street lights. I usually drive it every day but it is not my primary vehicle but it will probably never see the track. I'm going for the sleeper effect on a lifted truck.

Also, anybody know what kind of quarter mile times 0-60 times I might be able to see with a lifted truck on 35 inch mud terrains with a six inch lift. I would like to break 14's and possibly high 5's or low 6's 0-60 times, but I know I have a heavy truck and big tire size (5113 lbs stock on 34.8's) and I don't know if I can even get that quick.

Here's what I (will) have:

4:56 gears
Dynatech Supermaxx Long Tube Headers w/ High FLow Cats and Y-pipe
Flowtech Cutout with a 70 series Flowmaster
Transgo Kit and Converter on Beefed up stock Tranny
Custom Tune
383 Stroker (lunati kit) with Head/Cam?
Blower?
Nitrous if I still need it

If a 6.0 lq9 or a 408 stroker N/A or Blown would be a better set up I would concider doing that too. I was thinking a 5.3 Lq9 swap might not be worth it and a blown 383 stroker may be a better setup than a 408 stroker as the a roots or twin screw may not have the boost to fill the 408 and a 408+procharger may lack the low end power I may want. I kinda wanna keep the price around 10K or so since I know I am working with a 5000 lb truck and not a sports car.

Anybody know of a good mix of C/R and boost to go with and what blower I should go with.

P.S. I don't trust my own mechanical skills so all work will be done by shops.

Last edited by Stawzy32; 03-08-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're truck is still drivable I would leave it together until you have a motor to install. Can you bore a 5.3 block to 3.905? Yes. But I recommend you compare what it would cost to prep the 5.3 block versus purchasing a 6L block. Hell, used 01-up 6L LQ9 long blocks are relatively cheap and come with good heads on top. Buy a set of forged rods and pistons, have your trusted machinest go through it along with a simple valve job on the heads, and call it a day. If you are going to do a Maggie don't waste your time with more cubes. You do not need a forged crank... save your money for the tranny's you are going to go through... or buy a built 4L80E once.

Bill
Old 03-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would highly reccommend a 408 with a 6.0 block because the only cost difference is going to be the block which might be about $500( the stroker kit is going to cost the same no matter how big you go.). It is a much better combo and the torque will be what you are looking for. If you are running a boosted application you will want around 9:1 compression. If NA you should run a flat top with your 5.3 heads for about 11:1 or 12:1 depending on milling of heads. I would also reccommend stage 2 or stage 3 heads and a cam probably around the high 230's - low 240's and around 600 lift. You can get a cam ground for either NA or blown application. If your in the 10G budget. I would say go with the 408 NA set up and set some aside to do some transmission upgrading (unless already done) which will run about $2000 + or - depending on who you go through and what level you get done. for that set up in your truck I would suggest at least a stage 3 or upgrade to a 4L80 before upgrading. If you would like any more info feel free to send me a PM.