INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Broke a Rocker Arm????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke a Rocker Arm????????

So my truck started running like crap and i popped the valve cover to find a broken rocker! I have jegs 1.8 aluminum rollers with a Comp xr275 cam.
.222/.224, .566/.568 lift on a 112 lsa. I know on many cams the ramp rates on the cam lobes are too much for 1.8 rockers, is this case here? Should i put my stockers back in? Help
Old 04-24-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never heard of a stock rocker breaking. Unless you're running aftermarket heads which require them, I see no reason at all to run inferior roller rockers.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michael, please stop internet racing...how do you know that the aftermarket rockers are inferior? Have you ever even held one in your hand or installed one? (FACT>Opinion) Don't know who makes the rockers for Jeg's, and they may be inferior, but the rockers made by Yella Terra and Harland Sharp are far from inferior...I know from first hand experience. Did you know that the stock rockers are prone to flexing at lifts above .550? This will actually allow for less total lift than the cam has to offer. The early stock rocker were prone to blowing the needle bearings out of them also, and this still happens from time to time with the post 00 rockers, hence the Harland Sharp and Comp trunion upgrades...

Anyway, bolt your stock rockers on and don't look back...I'm assuming that the Jeg's rockers were the least expensive rockers offered, and there's a reason for that. I don't believe that the XR275 has overly aggressive lobes, but they obviously are more aggressive than stock. Was the rocker contacting the head or valve cover somewhere? Many of these "direct bolt on" rockers aren't exactly that, sometimes some modifications are necessary. I had to relief the heads on the pushrod side of my Harland Sharps as the clearance was way too close for comfort for me. After a little grinding, I had enough room, and the HS's gave me a perfect swipe pattern on the top of the valve stem, and have given me 23,000 miles of worry free service, and I drive very spiritedly...go WOT numerous times every day, even when I'm hung over

If you're looking for an upgrade, send your stockers to Harland Sharp for their trunion upgrade to help insure that your needle bearings stay intact when your spinning it higher than a Greatful Dead concert
Old 04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Aluminum body rockers in particular a lesser quality (guessing) rocker will need to be clearenced more often than not.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

For now i put the stock ones back in. I have a call into jegs to see if they have this problem elsewhere. We will see what they say. These rollers were not cheap ($350) but they wernt the really good ones either. The push rod blew all the way through the cup on the back side. The cup and the top of the rocker were laying in the head. Hopefully no other pieces made it thru to the motor.

Thanks gb
Old 04-24-2010, 04:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Got any pics? Did the rockers have enough clearance with the head? Could be an inferior product, or the rocker may have been rubbing the head and stressed and broke, this I have seen before, as can be proven if there are rub marks on the rocker. If the rocker is clean, it is just an inferior product unfortunately.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd hate to see how much really good ones cost. Barring Yella Terra & Jesel, as I know they're $$$.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea, they really are bucks...

I'm still undecided on whether or not I want to run my HS's on the LQ9...maybe I'll ask Richard at WCCH what he recommends. I know that the HS's are what come with the TrickFlow top end kits, and I haven't heard any bad stuff about them. Planning on a TF cam too...

Wish I could find the video I saw of the stock rocker flexing with a larger lift camshaft...it was a long time ago...
Old 04-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

HERE IS A CRAPPY PIC FROM PHONE. there are no marks on it or any others that would indicate rubbing!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thats a scorpion rocker, you can tell just by looking at it.....Tell Jegs you want to return them for a refund!

Our stock rockers are about as good as you can get, they just have a crappy truinon. Swap out your trunions with Comps trunion kit and youll have one of the best rockers avaliable!

Here are mine, I just had the trunions upgraded on.

Last edited by SweetS10V8; 04-24-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Broke a Rocker Arm????????