INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Broke a Rocker Arm????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:28 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, just got off of the phone with my pop...now keep in mind, he does mostly old school GM, Ford, and Mopar stuff and is not very familiar with GENIII stuff.

He's had good luck with Comp cams and pushrods, sells them every day. He would not put a set of their lifters in one of his race engines as they are absolute junk and are made by a different manufacturer every month, and informed me that their rockers are made by Scorpion. In his personal experience with Scorpion, the stuff that he's installed through his shop has not given him any problems, not a failure yet, although he has heard of problems with them...makes you wonder if it's installer error on those. BTW, Scorpion products are made in the US in Florida. I asked about the Comp Magnum rockers and he said that they are marketed as an inexpensive middle of the road rocker arm, and agreed with me that all that all he really knows about them is that they are heavy, and he tries to keep valvetrain weight to a minimum.

He did tell me that the one part of the valvetrain that he will put weight in is the pushrod, as this is the part that experiences the most flex, which makes perfect sense. It's just a free floating, long rod that's almost directly off of the camshaft. He said to run the biggest, thickest walled pushrod that you can fit...if you have a choice of a 5/16 or a 3/8, run the 3/8. I asked him about rocker arm flex, and he reminded me that all rocker arms will flex, the idea is to keep that flex to a minimum. Even the top shelf, big dollar professional race valvetrain components are going to exhibit some percentage of flex. Generally, a good aluminum rocker arm will be more rigid and exhibit less flex than a stamped steel one.

His absolute favorite aluminum rocker is Isky...not sure if they make rockers for our engines though. He doesn't use Harland Sharp too often, but has not heard of any problems with them. Jesel is great too, and has a very low failure rate. Keep in mind these are race engines that he's building, and even the best parts are going to stress and fail under these extreme conditions.

There's more info that I got from pop, but can't remember it all, he pumped me full a lot of great info in a short amount of time and my small brain only absorbed a portion of it lol

Hope this helps...

*EDIT* It doesn't appear that Isky makes rockers for our engines...figures

Last edited by budhayes3; 04-25-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Who's Spectacle Solutions?
An LS1 tech Sponcer who does these trunion swaps all the time for people. They did mine for me.

Whatsa LSK lobe? Is that 1 of Comp's names for a lobe design / profile?
Its a lobe that comp doesnt market to the public, it is very aggressive and you have to ask for it to get it. I think the smallest LSK Lobe is 215@ .050 with .640 lift, and thats the baby of the family.

They also have some .675" lift LS lobes I read about that used in their RHS 501ci engine in GM High Tech.

Last edited by SweetS10V8; 04-25-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
...He's had good luck with Comp cams and pushrods, sells them every day. He would not put a set of their lifters in his race engines as they are absolute junk and made by a different manufacturer every month, and informed me that their rockers are made by Scorpion. In his personal experience with Scorpion, the stuff that he's installed through his shop has not given him any problems, not a failure yet, although he has heard of problems with them...makes you wonder if it's installer error on those. BTW, Scorpion products are made in the US in Florida. I asked about the Comp Magnum rockers and he said that they are marketed as an inexpensive middle of the road rocker arm, and agreed with me that all that all he really knows about them is that they are heavy, and he tries to keep valvetrain weight to a minimum.

He did tell me that the one part of the valvetrain that he will put weight in is the pushrod, as this is the part that experiences the most flex, which makes perfect sense. It's just a free floating, long rod that's almost directly off of the camshaft. He said to run the biggest, thickest walled pushrod that you can fit...if you have a choice of a 5/16 or a 3/8, run the 3/8. I asked him about rocker arm flex, and he reminded me that all rocker arms will flex, the idea is to keep that flex to a minimum. Even the top shelf, big dollar professional race valvetrain components are going to exhibit some percentage of flex. Generally, a good aluminum rocker arm will be more rigid and exhibit less flex than a stamped steel one.

His absolute favorite aluminum rocker is Isky...not sure if they make rockers for our engines though. He doesn't use Harland Sharp too often, but has not heard of any problems with them. Jesel is great too, and has a very low failure rate. Keep in mind these are race engines that he's building, and even the best parts are going to stress and fail under these extreme conditions.

There's more info that I got from pop, but can't remember it all,...

Hope this helps...
So Comp Magnums are middle of road & heavy. Good aluminum rocker > stamped steel. Some might could run some great alum. Comp rockers then.
Jesel rocks, if ya trust somethin from NJ.

Before I even read part where u said, he hasn't had a Comp lifter failure, I installer error. Next thing u said was that.

Good, informative post Billy.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Comp Magnums are middle of road & heavy. Good aluminum rocker > stamped steel. Some might could run some great alum. Comp rockers then.
Jesel rocks, if ya trust somethin from NJ.

Before I even read part where u said, he hasn't had a Comp lifter failure, I installer error. Next thing u said was that.

Good, informative post Billy.
Yea I learned a lot from my dad today, glad that I was able to share what I remembered ha...I had to run to the computer to post it up after I hung up with pop so the info wouldn't melt away as it often does lol
Old 04-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default 1.7 vs 1.8 rockers

So with my stock 1.7 rockers back in my truck idles like a dream! I thought i would share this. My cam is cut on a 112 lsa which provides a pretty good lope, but with the 1.8 rollers i had it idled like a dragster! It is two totallly different sounds. I am guessing the bigger rockers could use some tuning. With the stockers back in, it is hard to hear some real lope. I cant really feel a power loss. The 1.8 rockers took my lift from .566/.568 to .600/.601. I miss my 1.8's! I decided to go with the comp ultra gold 1.8 rockers as they have a lifetime warranty. We will see how they last. As soon as they land she is going on the dyno for real tuning!

gb
Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just spoke to Roger Vinci today(about a cam), and he says he still has a few sets of the Crane Gold 1.8 roller rockers available, if you want the "good stuff".
Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez, another Roger, Roger? Why are u goin lookin at another cam AKlow?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
An LS1 tech Sponcer who does these trunion swaps all the time for people. They did mine for me.
+1

Spectacle Solutions is upgrading some rockers for me (on a core swap basis) for my upcoming cam upgrade.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeez, another Roger, Roger? Why are u goin lookin at another cam AKlow?
Not for my truck Tom. For a customer.

"Two Roger's doesn't make a right" Name that actor & movie.....
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

that would be Gone in 60 seconds!! nick cage

Quick Reply: Broke a Rocker Arm????????