INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Broken valve spring lock!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken valve spring lock!!!!!

As the title says,I was assembling my heads installing the valve springs and on the last valve spring I compressed the spring installed the locks and released the clamp and the damn valve spring popped up hit me in the head and I was like WTF!!! Looked and the Comp steele valve lock was broken in half.Is it ok to use 1 of my stock valve spring locks?Or should I order another set of locks?Locks only have 10k miles on them.What do you guys think I should do?I did call Comp Cam.and left a message.No return call yet.Mike
Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, just use your stock locks, they're more than adequate. And OEM stuff 99% of the time doesn't break like aftermarket garbage.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in the same process but need to know if i can use stock locks and retainers with silver comp 918 springs?

they cam with titanium retainers but i cant get the stock locks to work with them.

sorry to thread jack.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Launching!

OK thanks for the fast response.I thought so,just wanted some other opinions.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whether or not the stock locks will work for you depends on the taper of your retainers. If they match, and there's no interference with the rocker, you'll be okay.

Of course, it's better to have all matching components. If the different setup on one valve has compressed the valve spring more or less that all of the others, the valve seat pressure will not be the same, etc. You should be okay to run it for a few days until you get the right parts.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Launching!

I believe the stock valve locks are 7degrees and the ones I bought from Comp are 7 degree's I think I'll be ok.Motor is around 400+ hp 380 tq. with the few upgrades i've done in the last few months.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to dig but I thought I would tell my tale on comp locks. I got the comp 648s which are slightly thinner then stock locks and position the retainer up .050 higher on the valve stem for more lift clearance. They were hardened steel. On the second spring I got the first lock in and was wiggling the spring around to make room for the second lock, I was using the lever type stud mounted compressor, when I noticed the first lock had cracked. I got it out and it fell apart in my hands. I've never seen a lock crack before. I put the stock locks back in and didn't have a single issue and never had before this point either and I've had a few different sets of springs over the years. I haven't tried it to see, but I would imagine it would take a pretty good lick with a hammer to break a stock lock. I'm sure there was a little force applied across the arch of the lock as I was installing it and working the spring around to get room but when its being reinforced by it wrapping around the valve stem, it shouldn't break, and I've never seen one break until now.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chevysten
Is it ok to use 1 of my stock valve spring locks?
I would replace both locks not just one. They are more than likely machined a little bit differently, and it would be straining the retainer, and the lock. If the heads are not on the engine yet I would also swap them with a cylinder that you can get to easily like #2 so you arent trying to replace one back by the firewall when the heads are in the truck.