INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

builders, machinist, shit someone with answers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default builders, machinist, **** someone with answers?

need some help

Okay so can anyone please tell me if these prices seems on par? or can I piece together better for less. And is it things that I do not necessarily need to actually do a cam swap. Im on a strictly tight budget. I need whats mandatory.

Here is piece of the email.

Upgraded Aluminum Driveshaft (MUCH Stronger than Stock!): $500
PAC Single Beehive Valve Springs good to .600 lift: $149.99
Set of Hardened Pushrods: $99.99
LS2 Timing Chain: $37.99
Ported/Blueprinted LS6 oil pump: $139.99
Complete Camswap Gasket Kit: $49.99

This is a good shop prices on parts. But labor is 880$.

Basically my question is how hard is it to find someone to do a correct job on a camswap on these motors, and what parts are all that I need. I rather get the parts my own, and pay someone a decent price to do the job correctly.

I have decided I may get the driveshaft if its that much better. But honestly have no problems now. My tuner says its a good idea.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several people on here that can and will help you with a cam swap for the price of a 12 pack, just have to find someone close to you that's willing to help, or, you can try and do it yourself after doing some research. Cam swaps on these LS motors are pretty easy... Someone that knows what they're doing shouldn't take more than a couple hours at the most.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do it yourself. The prices seem decent. I wouldnt bother with the driveshaft right now.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

yea that what i was thinking too. wait on the driveshaft, get the cam, then get whats necessary to do it myself. So I can reuse my oil pump, timing chain etc? what all do I need and is mandatory. Thats part of my question too. lol thanks guys. So far I found my cam for 360$ shipped. It cost 420$ plus shipping and summit has it for 442$ on backorder. Also would it be wise to get used pushrods or springs? or 1 or the other.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:55 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I did my third cam Saturday and it still took me about 4 hours, but I took my time. If you already have the springs in place you can do it in no time. The spring swap with the heads on is the most tedious part. I don't buy into the ported oil pump theories. I'm never ran anything but stock and never had an issue. More cam swaps go wrong from people screwing with the oil pump, when they really don't need too...
Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dmelvin
There are several people on here that can and will help you with a cam swap for the price of a 12 pack, just have to find someone close to you that's willing to help, or, you can try and do it yourself after doing some research. Cam swaps on these LS motors are pretty easy... Someone that knows what they're doing shouldn't take more than a couple hours at the most.
Thanks I will be looking into that.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend you go to an LS2 timing chain. Cheap upgrade that you might as well do while you have it all torn down anyway.

EDIT : I'd go ahead with the Hardened PRs too.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPFD
I did my third cam Saturday and it still took me about 4 hours, but I took my time. If you already have the springs in place you can do it in no time. The spring swap with the heads on is the most tedious part. I don't buy into the ported oil pump theories. I'm never ran anything but stock and never had an issue. More cam swaps go wrong from people screwing with the oil pump, when they really don't need too...
A couple can be 4

I forgot about changing the springs and all, I helped do one on a buddy's truck and he already had a set of assembled heads that we were going to throw on it, so we just yanked the heads, changed the cam, and put the new heads on, so I didn't count spring time.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MPFD
Man I willing to drive a few hours to get this done. But not too far, cause I will need to take it to my tuner. The install was price to be all professional by 1 of our sponsors on the right. Just didn't want to say any names. So its going to be hard to get someone to put the springs in while the heads are on the truck?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

yea, Ill get the timing chain for extra insurance. guess I got to do some research on finding some cheap prices, on good parts. I was told to use PAC1218s? My cam is a lunati voodoo with .549 lift

Quick Reply: builders, machinist, shit someone with answers?