INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Buy 243s or work my 317's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
go with 243s, though its really not all about flow numbers, its basically how the porting is done, dont get me wrong flow numbers are great, anyone can port a head but if you dont know what the fugg youre doing then there worthless, a CNC can only do so much, a hand port will tell the tale. its all about how they flow not so much how much they can flow

im building a 408 now with the l92 setup thats on my 6 liter ( stock short block ) if i knew what i know now about porting i would have went 243s you match parts you see great results
If I go with the 243s, and the 408. Is there anything else I need to worry about with a stroker build versus doing a normal engine rebuild?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rochesterw
If I go with the 243s, and the 408. Is there anything else I need to worry about with a stroker build versus doing a normal engine rebuild?
you planning this build on a budget, what i mean is, you planing on stock heads? or are they gonna be worked?

worry? its like any other engine you build it right then theres no problems.

what intake you planning on running? exhaust blah blah blah, if it was mentioned sorry i overlooked it.. the rotating assembly is just that it rotates, the more cubes the more potential for big numbers, its the topend thats gonna put down the horsepower like cam heads exhaust, but in the same sense all those parts have to match.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by skeet
you planning this build on a budget, what i mean is, you planing on stock heads? or are they gonna be worked?

worry? its like any other engine you build it right then theres no problems.

what intake you planning on running? exhaust blah blah blah, if it was mentioned sorry i overlooked it.. the rotating assembly is just that it rotates, the more cubes the more potential for big numbers, its the topend thats gonna put down the horsepower like cam heads exhaust, but in the same sense all those parts have to match.
When I say worry I mean is there anything that needs replacement or upgraded to meet the needs of a stroker. Yes this is going to be a budget build w/ stock heads(maybe milled down some but thats about it). I might buy a set of used 243s already PP. I have a few months to put it all together so I can buy stuff here and there so it wont add up so quickly. As of now stock intake, would like to do headers, have dual 3" running into 2 Borlas. I am open to cam suggestions as nothing is really set in stone. Trying to get all of my information together before I make my decision

Rings went bad in the motor so I figure why not do some modding while I am in there. I am really just looking for a stout street motor and I want the displacement of a stroker. It will be driven somewhat regularly and I need it to have good street manners.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

definitely understand, get a double roller, 408 stroker kits are mildly cheap personally for what youre wanting i think you'll be fine. a good oil pump would be another
Old 12-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Yeah planned on upgrading the pump. Didn't think about the chain though thanks. You know of any dealers you believe to be reputable? So far I have checked out TS and a few others all seem to be roughly the same in price. Just want to see all of my options.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rochesterw
Yeah planned on upgrading the pump. Didn't think about the chain though thanks. You know of any dealers you believe to be reputable? So far I have checked out TS and a few others all seem to be roughly the same in price. Just want to see all of my options.

TSP would probably be your best bet, might be others but i usually go through them just depends on what it is!! good luck with your build hope all works out well for ya...
Old 12-12-2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the help.