INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Cam for most power under the curve through stock heads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skolman91
think im just gonna make a diff post and see if anybody had has "actual" experience with them..
Originally Posted by skolman91
How about you stop copying and pasting and believing everything you read on the internet.
So how is asking other people's experiences (on the web) gonna be any differnet then READING and LEARNING from others experiences (on the web)?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03

Good advice. A reverse split cam might be a good idea to look into as well. A lot of people don't use them but for power under the curve they deliver and work pretty well on stock headed engines.
:smokin2
Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willyfastz
Yeah I definitely opened up a can of worms with that one.

Some of the reverse split cams over on the Tech side have performed quite well and I don't think anybody that had one was disappointed. The two main ones I'm thinking of are the MTI X1 and the TR230. They make good power for bolt-on only cars with a nice torque curve.

I never said they were the best; just broadening the spectrum of available cams. The best bet still is to get someone to spec one out.

While they aren't the best; neither is a single pattern. If the intake and heads on the ls-based engines are so great we should just leave them alone.....no cam swaps either since GM spent sooooooo much time designing the perfect cam for their application.

Matter of fact, we should all trade our trucks in for hybrids. They're so awesome that they only need their engines to run half the time.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03

Matter of fact, we should all trade our trucks in for hybrids. They're so awesome that they only need their engines to run half the time.

If you buy a new LS3 it will be so great it will only run on half the cylinders, most of the time...
Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MPFD
If you buy a new LS3 it will be so great it will only run on half the cylinders, most of the time...
Touche sir
Old 12-03-2009, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

I talked to mark(predator-z) on tech he helped me spec a cam suited for me. Very knowlegeble guy. Power will be similar maybe a slight edge on a tr220 but will come on stronger lower in the rpm.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
This is not true. Elliot Lloyd uses reverse split cams a lot and there is a member here running his 218/214 in a 6.0 and says it has outstanding torque under the curve. Reverse splits are more suitable to engines with restrictive intakes. The requirement however is an outstanding freeflowing exhaust. You would not want to use a reverse split with a stock exhaust. Gotta think outside the box and don't always trust what everyone else is saying.
That's me. I like the cam. As far as power, I really feel that I am being held back by the fact that I am still running the stock converter. I did have the cam specced for my setup, (factory airbox and tube with home made ram air, stock intake, Lloyd Elliott stage 1 heads, and LTs full 3" off road exhaust into a stock muffler). As stated, rev. split cams are for those looking to make tq real low in the power band and have a "restrictive" intake tract in comparison to the exhaust path.

They are making use of the fully vetted theory that backpressure makes TQ. Before you jump down my throat, I fully understand the basis behind the harmonically tuned intake, as evidenced by VEs regularly surpassing 100%. That doesn't change the fact that backpressure makes TQ. You can see this in a before and after graph of a exhaust install. It will make more tq after, but it will make it higher in the band. The idea behind the rev. split is to get the TQ to come in sooner, providing a broader tq curve, with a lower peak tq #. If you are running a 3K or higher converter, I personally think that you are stalling yourself right into the latter half of where a rev. split would shine. One of the downfalls of the rev split is you are grinding in a choke collar in the higher rpms. That is where the exhaust really needs to get the hell out of the way, to make room for more a/f, so in that respect, you get lower peak #s, but overall better power under the curve compared to a cam of similar lift and duration in a single or traditional split pattern.

Originally Posted by LTX355
I talked to mark(predator-z) on tech he helped me spec a cam suited for me. Very knowlegeble guy. Power will be similar maybe a slight edge on a tr220 but will come on stronger lower in the rpm.
care to share the specs? Via PM?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

You have some points there about gettin the torque peak to occur lower in the rpm band, "Not the same but similer" i Have personal Experience with dual pattern cams in 5-700hp Pontiacs with Very efficient cnc ported cylinder heads, we tried many different cams with bigger ex lobes we were able to extend the rpm range and at the same time keep the intake lobe small which kept the engine from losing too much low end Street/strip cam, we made 628hp at 5900 and 635tq at 3900 with a 468cid poncho, The Short intake/ Long Dur ex lobe sounds Wicked too, combine it with a narrow 110 or less Lobe sep and go rattle windows, Look at comps new Thumper grinds, 227-241 107-109 lobe sep Yikes, Overlap is what makes cams sound wicked, reverse cam should sound milder in most apps imho
Old 12-04-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

MPFD is just regurgitating Bauer sermons and has NO personal data or live experience on RS cams to talk about.
It is all about "where do you want your trq band at" and that is dictated by valve events in a particular combination.
RS cams are so bad , that is why they are capable of making 400lbs at 3500 rpms in 346ci (H/C). (see below graph, C5, M6, Cartek 4x heads, stock valves + bolt ons). Cam is (230/228 .612, .588 110-1 LSA)
It is also a matter of ideology preference. Some poeple are so bottlenecked in their own beliefs that they are unnable to think outside the box. Funny part is they truly believe it so much that they are unnable to accept live concrete data on the subject.
Bottom line it is all about combination and how you are going to use it.

There are a few like Elliot LLoyd, myself to name a couple that have extensively used RS cams for particular applications with excellent results (no matter what naysayers may dish out). Again, bottom line is results and they speak for themselves.

BTW, the LSA/ICL is just byproduct of valve events. Meaning that you choose your valve events and that is where the LSA/ICL end up being. What goes into play is also lobe/lift chosen (for lobe profile at various lifts). See .050 spcs only give part of the full spectrum of any cam specs and most cam designers will start cam specs by looking at .006 lifts and beyond throughout the stroke cycles.

So as I keep saying, you cannot have a cam that has it all. What benefits one area will be a deficiency in another. Cam designing is a tug of war and it is up to the individual to decide which powerband will benefit his application the most and therefore apply specs based on that. There are grinds that compromise (a bit of this and a bit of that), but i've yet to see the cam that will do it all, meaning being optimum on ALL angles.
Attached Thumbnails Cam for most power under the curve through stock heads?-rmtt-hc-90.jpg  
Old 12-04-2009, 06:15 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

I'm closing this thread now fellas. The OP looks like he found a cam.

Cam shaft designs exist for a reason, be it forward split, reverse split or single pattern, and unless you really understand valve event theory, those reasons may appear to by opague or even non-sense. Rest assured, however, that no one would design a cam that is essentially useless and doesn't provide a specific benefit.