INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Which cam for mpg 95

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which cam for mpg 95

Guys I'm a noob so bare with me on this. just trying to learn like the rest of us.

So I'm looking for overall performance but I'm far more concerned with getting better fuel efficiency with minimal costs and engine mods. I'm not trying to do any swaps or anything crazy. I just want to get the best out of what I've got.

With that said, I drive a 1995 Chevy Tahoe 1500 LT 4x4 w/ 208,XXX miles. no mods or anything. just the 'lid flip' on the air filter. But lets pretend I've done a thorough tune up (trany fluid and coolant flush, oil filter & oil, fuel filter/pump/lines/injectors, air filter, plugs and wires, distro cap, check the egr valve/solenoid, check the coolant temp sensor....anything else?)

Which camshaft would best suit my tahoe with MPG in mind? and which -if any- component parts will I need? I read somewhere that with a dual pattern shaft you need new heads, lifters, springs etc. if this is correct I would rather stick to the single pattern.... so if I go the single pattern route, will I need anything other than the shaft itself? I plan to get new headers regardless of the camshaft, and am leaning towards shorty headers. 1) for the ease of installation and 2) for the low end power since I'm not racing.

If I'm way off with anything or missing stuff (im sure im missing stuff) please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Stick a ls in it if u want mpg. They have sequential fuel injection. The throttle body injectors is what's killing you and the tuning. Don't waste money. Get a 4.8 ls engine in there and make more power with better mpg. IMO
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Teching In

You don't have to have an ls to get good gas mileage. Just assuming you have the 350 with vortec heads personally I love the profile of the lunati cams and being all stock I would recommend the lunati part number 20120642. It's extremely mild but has a newer love pattern letting it breathe better. Now to get better gas mileage you have to remember your motor is an air pump. Get that thing breathing better (high flow air filter/intake, headers, exhaust). I hope this helps. Just my opinion but internal mods should come after you upgrade intake/exhaust.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CSpencer04
You don't have to have an ls to get good gas mileage. Just assuming you have the 350 with vortec heads personally I love the profile of the lunati cams and being all stock I would recommend the lunati part number 20120642. It's extremely mild but has a newer love pattern letting it breathe better. Now to get better gas mileage you have to remember your motor is an air pump. Get that thing breathing better (high flow air filter/intake, headers, exhaust). I hope this helps. Just my opinion but internal mods should come after you upgrade intake/exhaust.
Wow, guy from my hometown and based off your username I think I know you.

That being said I have played with numerous TBI and Vortec head engines. The TBI heads with their restricted intake ports LOVE single pattern cams.

I had a stock Corvette LT4 cam in a TBI engine that ran very well on the stock ECM. So something along those lines would work very well.
Something around 206-210* @ .050, .450" lift, on a 114* LSA. Any more overlap and you start losing vacuum to the MAP sensor and the engine starts to idle rich and have poor off-idle response.

I have used the factory HO cam with good sucess in TBI engines as well.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...766_0183332200

Last edited by Fast355; 03-10-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Hell yeah some H-E-B people on here! Check your p.m. Man.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:30 AM
Launching!

In high school, I had an 87 s-10 which I shoved a 305/th350 combo in. I ran a tbi setup atop of the 305 by just changing the computer and minimal harness modification. It started off as just an '85 carb motor with ported 305 tbi heads and tbi injection. It got shitty mileage. Keep in mind we use imperial gallons up here to rate gas mileage, but it got about 15 miles/imperial gallon. I then switched out the cam to a comp 12-249-4. Nice improvement in power and huge mileage gain in my combo. I could then get 23-24 mpg consistent and better if I ***** footed around. So I guess that's my 2 cents.