INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Cam specs and pics of t/ Lunati cam for my 418 paging SportSide lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power doesnt solely lie in duration and valve events. Lobe profile plays a huge part in it too.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right. I disagree about a huge part. I would say that lobe profile, or the shape of the arch play a small role when you are talking about a certain type of cam. Basically the minimal they can change the profile on a hydraulic roller is not worth the money. If you are competing in a ruled class I may see the purpose.
If you are really worried about it, then go solid roller where the lobe profile can be much more agressive. We are primarily talking about every day street engines here thus that is why the lifters are hydraulic.
I'm still not giving $400 for a cam.

Last edited by mjhoward; 01-05-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Ive never bought into the whole xer style lobe idea, neither have I seen any graphs comparing the same cam one with symmetrical lobes and the other with xer type. I think its a marketing gimmic and plus they are alot harder on the valve train.

my .02
Old 01-05-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mjhoward
You are right. I disagree about a huge part. I would say that lobe profile, or the shape of the arch play a small role when you are talking about a certain type of cam. Basically the minimal they can change the profile on a hydraulic roller is not worth the money. If you are competing in a ruled class I may see the purpose.
If you are really worried about it, then go solid roller where the lobe profile can be much more agressive. We are primarily talking about every day street engines here thus that is why the lifters are hydraulic.
I'm still not giving $400 for a cam.
I didnt claim I would pay $400 for a cam. Im cheap, ill get one at work.

Last edited by 99Silver6.0; 01-05-2006 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

1slow what is your static compression, stroke and rod length?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:01 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Ive never bought into the whole xer style lobe idea, neither have I seen any graphs comparing the same cam one with symmetrical lobes and the other with xer type. I think its a marketing gimmic and plus they are alot harder on the valve train.

my .02
XER lobes vary in ramp rate, some are more aggressive than others, and in the grand scheme of Cam lobes they are still a pretty stable lobe, generally speaking. XER lobes are also very nice because they allow you to run more duration while maintaining better low speed characteristics than a comparable duration but milder lobe, holla
Old 01-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
1slow what is your static compression, stroke and rod length?
~10.7:1 4.100" and cant remember off the top of my head what the rod lenght is Ill get back to you on that or Mjhoward will chine in he has a better memory than me

Guys lets not turn this thread into a pissing match. I chose the cam I did cause it had the numbers that I wanted, the price I wanted, and it was supposedly readily available(took way too long) and its in the motor and the motor is in the truck and it aint comin out

I will be doing a cam swap on this motor this summer so we can argue over what I should go with then when I dont already ahve the cam installed
Old 01-05-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Your gonna have a time tuning for that cam on 93 octane, your dynamic compression is gonna be over 9.5:1 and that cam has a huge amount of overlap. It should really scream in the high rpms I just hope youve got a bullet proof valvetrain and its titanium. I dont want to see you blow that motor up, stroker motors arent considered high revving engines for a reason. I would take it very very slow.

I would also make sure your quench area is nailed down to .040

that cam looks like its designed for race only applications
Old 01-05-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I consider it a moderate street cam in my opinion. I have ran larger cams than that on every day driven street engines that were solid roller(carbureted). Nevertheless, it is basically the same cam that is in 2bseen's 408 and Gomer has it tuned nicely. It is even DBW throttle body and he has the idle nailed down. Nelson is doing the tune on Cody's truck and from what i've heard he has tuned several 408's with similar cams.
It's a 6.125" Gen1 SBC rod.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mjhoward
I consider it a moderate street cam in my opinion. I have ran larger cams than that on every day driven street engines that were solid roller(carbureted). Nevertheless, it is basically the same cam that is in 2bseen's 408 and Gomer has it tuned nicely. It is even DBW throttle body and he has the idle nailed down. Nelson is doing the tune on Cody's truck and from what i've heard he has tuned several 408's with similar cams.
It's a 6.125" Gen1 SBC rod.
Im starting to get interested in this setup, never really looked at it before. What heads are going on? Were the engines your referring to above using that same cam that is closing the intake at 46 ABDC and have a static compression of 10.7:1?

My calc says dynamic is at 9.635, Ive always heard that you dont want to go over 9.0 for a street motor on 93.

Quick Reply: Cam specs and pics of t/ Lunati cam for my 418 paging SportSide lol