INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Cam wear? Engine was knocking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:32 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were all these ate up cams made by Comp?
Did they all run patriot springs?
Hard to point a finger at Patriot springs when its a known fact there were some issues with comps heat treat process
So is it possible these were defective cams and just by coincedince they were run on patriot springs?
The cam really needs to be sent of to get some proof of the matter,if the cams good by comp i say we have a known spring issue
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 774 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by grey matter 04
Wer all the damaged cams made by comp cams?
From my understanding there was an issue with the heat treat process on some of there cams
Mine was covered under warrenty for that issue
Yes all of the cams were from Comp Cams!

The Main problem is Comp Cams opted for the less expensive cam core blanks that are maid from softer material to begin with. Some of them had heat treat issues but in the end it all came down to the Material. While it would have worked fine on small cams it does not hold up on high lift cams with the extra spring pressures.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Hard to point a finger at Patriot springs when its a known fact there were some issues with comps heat treat process
So is it possible these were defective cams and just by coincedince they were run on patriot springs?
The cam really needs to be sent of to get some proof of the matter,if the cams good by comp i say we have a known spring issue
Comp Cams does not heat treat the cams. The Cam Blanks are Heat treated first and then ground to spec.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There may be some truth to the whole comp thing, either way all the ones Ive seen and many others with cam problems were using the patriot spings. Maybe since the patriot springs are stouter than a lot of the beehives it just exacerbated the soft cams sold by comp. Both of the cams Im talking about are about 3 years old.

FWIW Ill be pulling my gt2-3 cam in a couple months and by that time I expect it to have 4kish on it in my setup so I guess Ill see what it looks like. Anyone know who grinds lingenfelters cams?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
There may be some truth to the whole comp thing, either way all the ones Ive seen and many others with cam problems were using the patriot spings. Maybe since the patriot springs are stouter than a lot of the beehives it just exacerbated the soft cams sold by comp. Both of the cams Im talking about are about 3 years old.

FWIW Ill be pulling my gt2-3 cam in a couple months and by that time I expect it to have 4kish on it in my setup so I guess Ill see what it looks like. Anyone know who grinds lingenfelters cams?
Yup As I said the Extra spring pressures under load didn't help. But unfortunitly They tried to save about $20 a cam by opting for a less expensive core and this is what happened. Softer material and poor heat treating. I have a cam from them that only has dyno time on it. Guess what, its a paper weight IMO. You can see the wear marks on the cam from the liffters. It's Definitly a soft cam. When you hold that core up to a known quality core you can Physically see the difference in material i.e. color and texture not to mention the surface hardness when you pick at it.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Mine were an Comp. The springs are unnamed duals, supplied with the AFR complete heads. They are 120 pounds closed, 420 open.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I tore the heads off and I was starting to get worried until I pulled the final pair of lifters-- from my good friend #7 The wheel has a flat spot on it. It almost certainly locked up because a flake of metal from the cam went under it.

The other ones all look like sh*t as you would expect, but this one was the first to take severe damage. Cam bearings look good so I'll put new lifters/trays/cam/pushrods and see what happens. Probably have it back up in 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool deal man, glad to see that it's moving along
Old 12-06-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

I can't find it right now, but the other day on another LS1 site, I read that Comp now uses billet steel on all of their cams, and no longer uses cast iron. Does anyone know if this is true?

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Yes all of the cams were from Comp Cams!

The Main problem is Comp Cams opted for the less expensive cam core blanks that are maid from softer material to begin with. Some of them had heat treat issues but in the end it all came down to the Material. While it would have worked fine on small cams it does not hold up on high lift cams with the extra spring pressures.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie
I can't find it right now, but the other day on another LS1 site, I read that Comp now uses billet steel on all of their cams, and no longer uses cast iron. Does anyone know if this is true?
I believe it was grey Iron and now its something like nodular. All cam Blanks are cast. Billet cam cores are custom made and cost a few hundred.

Quick Reply: Cam wear? Engine was knocking.