INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Checked out the heads today

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:50 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Are those the correct seals for that application? What do the valve guides look like?
#2 exhaust

#2 exhaust
Old 10-30-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the right valve seals for a double spring.Man,it sux to see this happen.I really liked reading the new developments in your setup,but deffinately not the ones following the 427's suicide....
Old 10-30-2010, 10:46 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Not the right valve seals for a double spring.Man,it sux to see this happen.I really liked reading the new developments in your setup,but deffinately not the ones following the 427's suicide....
What seals do work?

Couple more pics.

Is there not enough clearance here?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

this message is definately not to bash DRx. if the one gentlemen that posted those heads were shipped to the engine builder assembled and the work wasnt done in the shop of the engine builder is correct about that.this is a prime example of companies taking a good head and doing less that perfect work that people ask or pay for.as a racer of 15 years dealing and seeing people get taken by engine builders so many times and just dont trust companies who shipped ready to go heads.now this poor guy who prolly loves that truck has to deal with this mess. it may cost alittle more but once you find a machinist you like. get the bare heads let them buy the springs retainers and valves and set the head up for ya. companies that mass produce these heads are there to make a buck and wanna get the head out asap and dont take the detailed time to make it perfect like your local machine shop that you get to know on a personal basis does. DRx SORRY TO SEE THIS HAPPEN MY FRIENDS HOPE IT ALL GOES WELL IN THE END FOR YA. dont know where ya live but i can turn you on to an outstanding machinist who has won the engine masters competition and placed in the top 4 5 years in a row if you would like
Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HEADHUNTER92
this message is definately not to bash DRx. if the one gentlemen that posted those heads were shipped to the engine builder assembled and the work wasnt done in the shop of the engine builder is correct about that.this is a prime example of companies taking a good head and doing less that perfect work that people ask or pay for.as a racer of 15 years dealing and seeing people get taken by engine builders so many times and just dont trust companies who shipped ready to go heads.now this poor guy who prolly loves that truck has to deal with this mess. it may cost alittle more but once you find a machinist you like. get the bare heads let them buy the springs retainers and valves and set the head up for ya. companies that mass produce these heads are there to make a buck and wanna get the head out asap and dont take the detailed time to make it perfect like your local machine shop that you get to know on a personal basis does. DRx SORRY TO SEE THIS HAPPEN MY FRIENDS HOPE IT ALL GOES WELL IN THE END FOR YA. dont know where ya live but i can turn you on to an outstanding machinist who has won the engine masters competition and placed in the top 4 5 years in a row if you would like
seeing the pieces of valve seal between on the inside of the spring makes me wonder about the installed height of the spring as well as the valve stem length realative to the lift of the cam also. were the springs completely collapsing ? and if they were there was most likely coil bind.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:19 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Another member on here took the pics of the heads right out of the box for me. Really can't say what all needed to be, was or was not done with them after that.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Guides are .50". Seal OD is .59"
Old 10-30-2010, 03:10 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Only 1 mangled seal on the right head. One came off easily.

#2 exhaust inner spring is a tight squeeze inside the outer 2 coils. No clearance there at this point.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:55 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to knock the builder, as this obviously isn't his fault, but this is why my father won't install customer supplied parts on his engines, as he can't stand behind the work and doesn't want to put his name on it. Heads like that are supposed to be a bolt on plug and play procedure though that don't need to be rechecked, unfortunately, that wasn't the case here. My pop says that he sees this kind of stuff all of the time...he's constantly having to machine "bolt on" parts that don't fit or work right Again, sorry that this happened to you DrX
Old 10-30-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nevermind about the seals being wrong i thought for some reason they were hat stlye.Seems like the retainer put a pretty good beating on the seals though.Can you get some measurements from them?
Installed height?
Coil bind?
Distance from retainer to top of seal?
Spring seat pressure looks to be a bit low or marginal when lift,valve size,and boost are taken in consideration...

Last edited by SincalT/A; 10-30-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Checked out the heads today