INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Comp XER vs. EPS Truck Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
did a little search on tech just to see whats up with these lobes, id never use them!

quote for PG:

( EPS )They are a slightly calmer version of the new LSL lobe made specifically to be happy with beehive springs like the PAC 1518 and Comp 26918. The acceleration and jerk is much more friendly than XFI and XE-R lobes even though the duration at .006, .050, and .200" are similar

Billy Godbold, the head lobe designer at Comp, sat down with Geoff Skinner and me in December and asked us what we were looking for in a new lobe. We mentioned that we liked the power making potential and revability of the LSL lobes, but wanted something in a .600" lift version that would work with popular (and easy to install) beehive valve springs. I too, was skeptical of the lobes. They sounded too good to be true. But after installing some early ones on friends rides, I saw that they were the real deal. I love them. I only recommend LSL lobes above them for people who want more lift and need to run a dual spring.

from what im getting these lobes arent really all that great with dual springs and are basically made for single spring apps, i would think there limited in lift to .600 max?
Looks like im pretty maxed out then since Pat G recommended EPS lobes on mine... and im literally at 600 lift . I do have patriot dual golds also.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

all ive heard is that his smaller cams are making the power of other bigger cams and this was done by reading over at ls1 tech... and those who have the eps cams are happy with them. and yes im assuming they are ment to be ran on beehives since he recommended 1518 springs with my cam..
Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patriot Extremes with an EPS cam at .610 lift here.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont anyone get me wrong, i only copied and pasted what i read, i have no doubt i patrick, he spec'd my last 2 or 3 cams and all off them were an improvement over the next

im one who needed more or what more lift, i prefer mid range to topend BUT not sacrificing to much low end torque
Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

I haven't got to drive my truck very much with the eps cam.. Not even enough to nail the tune down but so far I like it but I changed the whole top end... I'm running patriot dual springs with mine and the cam has .600 lift

So far I like it and can't wait to see what it will do
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
geoff has a pretty good track record for his lobes. the TR lobe is STILL being used 10 years later and continues to be a great performer. i was surprised Pat g set me up on a different lobe but im sure theres a reason behind the madness
I'm pretty sure the reason for the different lobe is you spin your engines way past the power band (If I remember I once saw your graph was around 7500rpm). This being the case he probably spec'd you a lobe with a less aggressive ramp rate to keep valve float to a minimum. The EPS being to aggressive for your shift points. That's just what I gather I could be off as I don't pay attention to many posts on here.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
dont anyone get me wrong, i only copied and pasted what i read, i have no doubt i patrick, he spec'd my last 2 or 3 cams and all off them were an improvement over the next

im one who needed more or what more lift, i prefer mid range to topend BUT not sacrificing to much low end torque
im in the same boat. my cam was speced for top end performance. lets face it. on the track, im only below 5800 rpm for about 1 second. the rest of the time is between 5800 to 7000. as for the low end...that's what a big converter, 4.30 gears and nitrous is for
Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
I'm pretty sure the reason for the different lobe is you spin your engines way past the power band (If I remember I once saw your graph was around 7500rpm). This being the case he probably spec'd you a lobe with a less aggressive ramp rate to keep valve float to a minimum. The EPS being to aggressive for your shift points. That's just what I gather I could be off as I don't pay attention to many posts on here.
i had them rev the motor to 7200 on the dyno just to see what it was doing. i did shift it at 6900 and it should have pulled that far but i guess something was choking it down. my explination for the HUC lobes is the high RPM i plan to spin with my heavier than stock valves.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing how your new setup performs Stew...what size is your new mill gonna be?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im running an EPS cam .610/.605 lift I spin it to 6700 on my 5.3 at the track and mexico racing

Quick Reply: Comp XER vs. EPS Truck Torque?