INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

crank pulley bolt issue!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank pulley bolt issue!!!!!

I have a pretty serious issue that i am stumped on with my truck. I put a tr220 cam and pushsrods in yesterday. No big deal with all that. This is my second cam swap with this truck. Either way i was putting the pulley back onto the crank snout with the old bolt, as recomended in the ls1howto website. Now i went to pull the bolt back out to reinstall the new bolt and stretch it, and it will not come out. The bolt turns slowly, but requires alot of force either going back in, or coming out. I am stumped as the crank pulley does not completely line up the other accesories, and is causing the belt to run off track with the rest of the accessories. I have tried quite a few options so far, with no luck. Has anyone run into this problem, and what did they do to fix it. this sucks big time, please help!!!

cory
Old 12-19-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like some stripped threads to me. If that's the case, it's a big problem. With those threads being so deep, if you can even get the bolt out it will be a royal pain rethreading the crank. I'm not too sure what I'd do, short of replacing the crank.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:39 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the threads are trashed!
If you back it out it willl probly pull the threads off the crank or bolt if you lucky.
If you lucky and it trashes the bolt only and then you can run a tap in the crank to clean it up.
Hard decision to make but i think i would impact it in more and hope it holds !
Worse case you impact it down and it pulls the threads off the bolt and the bolt is loose then retap the crank and install a new bolt....atleast the pulley is on all the way!

All you can do is cross ya fingers n toes bro!!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why you work the bolt back and forth on low torque with a impact keep spraying some nongaulding spray or even lubricant, keep working it back and forth until it gives coming out.. once out run a tap into the crank to clean it up..
Old 12-20-2010, 05:09 AM
On The Tree

yeah im gonna get me a good impact gun, the one i got doesnt have the ***** to go in or out with the bolt. I think im gonna just try impacting it slowly back in to try to make the pulley flush at least. thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like the pulley is on crooked.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

no the pulley is defnitely running true, its the crank bolt thats not all the way bottomed out
Old 12-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

If you can get the pulley on and the bolt out and the threads are shot.

I would get a crank pin kit that drills the press line. Drill the holes for the pin as the paper says. Then redrill the holes for like a 3/8 set screw and tap it.
Place two 3/8 set screws with thread locker and tight them up. This should hold the balancer on and stop it from turning. Not the best fix but you won't have to replace the crank.

Good Luck.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.055chevy
If you can get the pulley on and the bolt out and the threads are shot.

I would get a crank pin kit that drills the press line. Drill the holes for the pin as the paper says. Then redrill the holes for like a 3/8 set screw and tap it.
Place two 3/8 set screws with thread locker and tight them up. This should hold the balancer on and stop it from turning. Not the best fix but you won't have to replace the crank.

Good Luck.
not to get off subject, but man that 55 looks sick, you have more pics posted somewhere? what makes it even sweeter is the 6.0
Old 12-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skeet
not to get off subject, but man that 55 looks sick, you have more pics posted somewhere? what makes it even sweeter is the 6.0
I don't have any pictures of it just yet. That is a rendering of the car. I had all the body work done and I could not decide on the colors. So I put the car almost together and drove it for about a week and took some pictures of it and had a guy in NY Digitally paint it.

It will look just like the picture and should be completed by the end of 2011.
Thank you for the complement as I will have more in it than I will ever recover. 60g's and the Wife is just about to kill me.

I will post some pictures when its done.

Quick Reply: crank pulley bolt issue!!!!!