INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

D.o.d. Cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D.o.d. Cam swap

Well here in the next week or so, I'll be doing a D.O.D. Cam swap.... while the heads are off, what should I do? being as I will have direct access to a machine shop.... What do you suggest??

LY5 5.3
TR224 Cam
918 Springs
TR hardened push rods..
2800 Stall
PCMforless tune
underdrive pulleys
CAI
NBSCC

To do list.

lt headers
Boost valve
scat trak
Aux Cooler
(lookin for a 2nd hand blower / turbo)
Old 01-02-2010, 11:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i would suggest a wheatley tune, and get circle -d's 278mm stall-2800-3200, kick *** stall for DD trucks. mine foot stalls to 2800rpm all day long
Old 01-03-2010, 12:04 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you already have the valve springs, I'd return them and get some PAC 1218's. I've read way too many threads both here and on LS1Tech about 918's breaking. You're going to want more converter than 2800 for a TR224 in a 5.3, something like a 3200-3400 would be better matched.

I suppose that you could always mill the heads to bump the compression up a bit, since you'll have them off and have access to a machine shop. Maybe .030? You're going to need some shorter pushrods though...
Old 01-03-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

throw those dod junk lifters in the trash and put LS7 lifters in also change out you valley cover. I would go prc duals for springs instead of 918s
Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Default Cam swap w/AFM

DontLetItFoolYa, I would like to know if this swap is possible. I asked the question to CompCams and this was their response;
You would have to deactivate the displacement on demand in order to change
the camshaft we do not offer anything that will work for that.

That was the end of the discussion but now I see a couple guys mentioning replacing the lifters of which in some kits come with the cam and the lifter valley tray. I was looking at the XFI 260 fm CompCams. I have the 5.3 in a 2007 SLT 1500 2WD. It seems this engine w/AFM is a deadend when trying to get a little more horses out it. I like the truck but will not buy another with AFM..
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

If you do deactivate your DOD I would change my oil pump to as I had one and the first day I got it back together and spun a rod bearing. I believe there are threads on this topic.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

You could always check the lifters to see what the maximum lobe lift value is for the pushrod slip cup (just what I'm calling it). That's the unit that slides into the body of the lifter when the D.O.D. solenoids activate and let the lifters follow the cam without creating lift. Once you find out what this value is, allow maybe .010-.015" of clearance and find a cam with that amount of lift. This way you can keep the DOD lifters and the feature afforded to the engine by them. Check that your ramp rates on the cam and the required spring rates aren't to crazy, I believe there is a max load that the lifters will take.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am planning to do a cam swap on a 2007 5.3 LY5. I plan to keep the DOD. I spoke to Lunati technical assistance and he advised me there may be 2 grooves on cam journals #2 and #4 for upper lifter oiling. If this is the case the new cam will have to be machined for this. Not a big deal he said, one day turn around. He also said it will work with the stock set up other than the cam sprocket. I have read different posts saying to switch to a LS2 or a LS7 sprocket. Both have different part numbers. Anyone know for sure?? I see Lingenfelter sells a kit with a sprocket, bolts and chain tensioner to use a 3 bolts cam. Anyone used this kit?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3
I too am planning to do a cam swap on a 2007 5.3 LY5. I plan to keep the DOD. I spoke to Lunati technical assistance and he advised me there may be 2 grooves on cam journals #2 and #4 for upper lifter oiling. If this is the case the new cam will have to be machined for this. Not a big deal he said, one day turn around. He also said it will work with the stock set up other than the cam sprocket. I have read different posts saying to switch to a LS2 or a LS7 sprocket. Both have different part numbers. Anyone know for sure?? I see Lingenfelter sells a kit with a sprocket, bolts and chain tensioner to use a 3 bolts cam. Anyone used this kit?
I just hope someone figures out how to do this swap the right way so us weekend mechanics won't be afraid to hurt their daily driver.. I am not confident I could find a local shop that would know how to do the swap..
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2006 LS2 and LS7 use the same 3 bolt cam sprocket. The kit Lingenfelter sells is OE GM parts with a higher price tag. I can pick up the sprocket and dampener at my dealer for $32.00. I will be doing the cam swap here later this month. I will post results. If anyone else has any info or input please post.

Quick Reply: D.o.d. Cam swap