INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

degreeing a cam. lets make sense of it...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default degreeing a cam. lets make sense of it...

im going to install a cam in my truck and i will be using it for towing.so i would assume you would want to advance to cam to build more low end power.how ever most cams have advance built right into them.now if you were just cruising down the highway what would be more beneficial a retarded cam to build high end power or advance to bring out the bottom end ? and how far is considered to far when degreeing a cam in either direction
Old 01-22-2011, 06:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jeff, I think that you have your terminology a little confused...you "degree" a cam when you install it to make sure that the cam was ground correctly. What you're referring to is simply called advancing or retarding the cam, and would require an adjustable timing set. For most of us, best bet is to have the desired advance ground unto the camshaft, and most of the LS cam specs that I've seen usually have 0, 2, or 4* of advance ground in. Depending on your setup and cam specs, and the fact that you'll be towing with the truck, I'm going to guess that you'll probably want 2 to 4* of advance ground in
Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Hey Jeff, I think that you have your terminology a little confused...you "degree" a cam when you install it to make sure that the cam was ground correctly. What you're referring to is simply called advancing or retarding the cam, and would require an adjustable timing set. For most of us, best bet is to have the desired advance ground unto the camshaft, and most of the LS cam specs that I've seen usually have 0, 2, or 4* of advance ground in. Depending on your setup and cam specs, and the fact that you'll be towing with the truck, I'm going to guess that you'll probably want 2 to 4* of advance ground in
well even tho they mostly do have advance cut into them so you would install it straight up.if you do alittle research before you degree the cam sometimes it might benefit you to retard the cam to a point to move the torque curve higher in the rpm range if ur running high rpm with ur motor.however most of us are drag racing or towing so you need that low end grunt to get out of the hole.theres also cam bushings that allow you to place it where ever you want as well.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

First things first. Most cams when bought come with 2-4 degrees advance even if it doesnt say +2 or +4 after the LSA. So if I were you I would install it dot to dot. Now when you install it, install it Dot to Dot and check ICL. It should be around 2-4* advance over LSA. If it isn't you can buy a adjustable timing set and set your own timing. 4* is a good place to start. If you need to advance more you need a smaller cam for your application. If you are retarding the cam you need a bigger cam for your application.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HEADHUNTER92
well even tho they mostly do have advance cut into them so you would install it straight up.if you do alittle research before you degree the cam sometimes it might benefit you to retard the cam to a point to move the torque curve higher in the rpm range if ur running high rpm with ur motor.however most of us are drag racing or towing so you need that low end grunt to get out of the hole.theres also cam bushings that allow you to place it where ever you want as well.
Don't forget that you have to consider which engine platform that you're dealing with also...the LS engines don't make a lot of torque in the lower RPM range in general, and peak torque numbers are always higher in the RPM range than what a "similarly" outfitted small block Chevy would produce. (I mentioned "similarly" the way I did because we obviously can't compare the two engine platforms referenced here, but think of building a sbc vs. an LS for the same application ) The GENIII engines are obviously capable of good torque numbers, they just come on higher in the band than the previous Chevy engine offerings.