INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

forged internal ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forged internal ??

i was talking to a guy and he said that the cranks in the 6.0s are bullet proof. he said that he was me he would just put forged rods and pistons in the motor and run it. my questions are is the stock crank good enough to do this with and how much boost would they be able to handle
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a few guys on here running stock bottom ends with 1000+ HP (stock48) is one of them
Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Completely stock bottom ends?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02chevyls1

I will be putting 6-700 HP to my 6.2 in the very near future and it will all be stock bottom end.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Completely stock.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

I plan on pushing 14psi or so in my 5.3 down the road and the only thing im going to do to beef the engine up is LS9 gaskets and head studs.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

how are you guys getting your motors to last then i just put a turbo system on and the motor olny made it 350 miles on 8 lbs and spun a bearing and my buddie has the same set up ans he broke the ring land on a 5.3 then bent a rod in a 6.0 at 13 lbs and both of them i think olny lasted like 3 hrs
Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how are you guys getting your motors to last then i just put a turbo system on and the motor olny made it 350 miles on 8 lbs and spun a bearing and my buddie has the same set up ans he broke the ring land on a 5.3 then bent a rod in a 6.0 at 13 lbs and both of them i think olny lasted like 3 hrs
I know it almost sounds like a cliché, but tune, tune, tune is the answer. You may ask what that has to do with a spun bearing, but an engine experiencing pre-ignition can beat the bearings out. It can also damage the other components in the rotating assembly. This reminds me of the other hot topic going around right now about whether 4.8L/5.3L is better than a 6.0L/6.2L for boost. Again most people just haven’t figured out what the engines want yet in regards to the tune up. It happens just about every time there is pretty good changes in engine configurations. Hell, when the 426 HEMI was released, most folks running Top Fuel continued to run the Gen I 392 based early Hemi’s just because they couldn’t get the same amount of power out of them. Of course the newer engine was more capable, but until they figured out what the engines wanted, the power just wasn’t there and the few that were trying struggled to keep from popping them. Once they figured them out the rest was history. While I’m not an expert by any means on the subject, I would venture to assume that while some say the Gen IV engines aren’t any different than the Gen III engines that came before them, obviously the rectangular port headed engines do differ in regards to how they fill the cylinder, most likely the swirl in the combustion chamber and with the larger cylinders a longer flame travel. It’s just a matter of time before people learn what the larger engines want and then for it to trickle down to the common Joe (I’m sure some already have). Until then, there is still going to be some hurt engines.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1Bear
I know it almost sounds like a cliché, but tune, tune, tune is the answer. You may ask what that has to do with a spun bearing, but an engine experiencing pre-ignition can beat the bearings out. It can also damage the other components in the rotating assembly. This reminds me of the other hot topic going around right now about whether 4.8L/5.3L is better than a 6.0L/6.2L for boost. Again most people just haven’t figured out what the engines want yet in regards to the tune up. It happens just about every time there is pretty good changes in engine configurations. Hell, when the 426 HEMI was released, most folks running Top Fuel continued to run the Gen I 392 based early Hemi’s just because they couldn’t get the same amount of power out of them. Of course the newer engine was more capable, but until they figured out what the engines wanted, the power just wasn’t there and the few that were trying struggled to keep from popping them. Once they figured them out the rest was history. While I’m not an expert by any means on the subject, I would venture to assume that while some say the Gen IV engines aren’t any different than the Gen III engines that came before them, obviously the rectangular port headed engines do differ in regards to how they fill the cylinder, most likely the swirl in the combustion chamber and with the larger cylinders a longer flame travel. It’s just a matter of time before people learn what the larger engines want and then for it to trickle down to the common Joe (I’m sure some already have). Until then, there is still going to be some hurt engines.
Very well said and very true.

Look at what foose is doing to that 4.8. It's all about the tune to keep everything playing nice
Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

i know people talk about tune tune tune ive tryed two different places and one is pretty well know on this site from michigan. thats why i figured i should try to beef up the bottem end and hopefully stop my problems, you guys make it sound like i dont need to so maybe i should just get another motor and try it again

Quick Reply: forged internal ??