INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

fresh 4.3l won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fresh 4.3l bad idle stumbles when rev'd

so what do i need to check. i have fuel i can smell it. i loaded a tune with proper size injectors. right now i wonder if the distributer is 180 out. i may have been on exhaust stroke instead of compression stroke when it was installed. going to check that after work.

Last edited by 4.8T; 12-20-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

so i got it started dizzy was 180 out. it runs like crap. it has a bad stumble when you rev it and at idle. i got it runing great for a minute then it craped out again. when i got it to run right i messed with the crank position sensor, i got a cel for it so i unpluged it and pluged it back in.

after putting everything back together (fan, fan shroud, other odds and ins) i fired it up and it ran like crap. i messed with sensor again and it didn't help. so is the sensor going bad? maybe it just happen to run better about the same time i mnessed with it? my buddy had a very similar problem and it wound uop being the cam sensor.

any thoughts or ideas? its in a 2000 silverado 5 spd 2wd by the way.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2000's had distributors?

Make sure all the plugs are on tight and the cap isn't cracked i guess.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:32 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably have the distributor out of time. You need to get a timing light with a dial, and mess with the distributor until the timing light and your log match. The only other way is with the tech2.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:56 AM
12 Second Truck Club

but you can't adjust the distributer on this one. its locked in place. what sensor is ckp? thats crank sensor right?

Last edited by 4.8T; 12-20-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
but you can't adjust the distributer on this one. its locked in place. what sensor is ckt? thats crank sensor right?
Sounds like the same problem on my old 2000. My mechanic said that he had to modify the distributer to even mess with the timing on it. He lives a couple houses down I'll ask him to see if I can get any input.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

I had the same problem not to long ago. Although mine was a 99 W/454 the distributor set up is similar

1. Check the plug wires make sure they are in the correct order. I was off and had 2 wires back wards... Thats what I get when trying to do it late at night and not having the proper light.

2. Check and make sure the cap is tight. on a 454 its hard to get to the screws

3. Even though it says the distributor rotor is supposed to line up with some mark inside, I found mine was off a little once I got it properly Phased. I ended up being one tooth off. The timing is NOT adjustable like traditional set ups. The distributor sits with the wires running parallel with the back of the Block. If your off a tooth it runs like crap and throws a check engine light.

4. when you installed the crankshaft position sensor did you put a new O-ring on it??? If not it may not be the proper distance from the wheel it reads...

Here is How to Check for proper Distributor Alignment

Go to TDC at compression stroke.
On the distributor ( With the cap off ) were the Flat side is there is 2 Points/Dots. When the distributor is fully seated ( with the cap off ) the rotor should line up directly with those. If not your probally a tooth off... when the cap is on the the wires shoud be basically coming out the sides running parallel with the back of the Block. Mark the Base at the Manifold if you have to move it Like I do to get the cap off. That way when you check for alignment to the mark you can confirm that the base is right on.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

well, checked the aligment of tdc and the rotor bug with rotor three times. when i went one tooth either way it was way off. there is a triangle on this one that its suppose to line up with. i did try unbolting the distributer and moving it around and it did nothing to make it better.

when the guy installed the crank sensor i made sure a new o ring was used. however i'm not sure if he pushed it in to lock then tightened the bolt or used the bolt to pull the sensor in. the book says "make sure sensor is clicked in before tighting bolt to ensure accurate readings. i'm going to go take it out and put it back in right quick.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:54 PM
12 Second Truck Club

well, i pulled the sensor out and pushed it back in. that did nothing. how magnetic is it suppose to be? what i don't get is how i made it idle great last night then it just went away alittle later. as far as the cap goes the stupid screw holes on the distributer both broke off. i guess he tightened too much. so i have a screw holding it aligned and two big zip ties holding the cap on. its pretty damn tight. the guy who owns the truck is not here so i'm not going out of my pocket to buy a new one. my buddy is going to let me borrow a new crank sensor off his truck. but i won't get it till tommorrow. could it be the comp cam gear piece that drives the distributer is not ground right? sounds logical but wouldn't explain why i got it to idle right for a little while.

this thing makes me LOVE my gen 3!!!!!!!!!!!!! would it help if i made a vid? then you could hear what i'm talking about.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:37 PM
12 Second Truck Club

here is a vid. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...dle_206775.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...t-2_206778.htm

Last edited by 4.8T; 12-20-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: fresh 4.3l won't start