INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

fresh 4.3l won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

I can hear you rev it but I can't hear an Idle issue because there is to much back round noise. I hear it deiseling when you shut it off... are you getting a good signal on every wire??? check each one with a timing light and see if you get any interuption... Right plugs and Gaps??? Probally do but I thought I would throw it out there

The trianlge you are reffering to... does it have 2 little dot's, circles, dimples, Points or what ever you would like to call them????

does this engine have a Balancer shaft??? book i have is for 98 but I am assuming this would be the same... do you know for sure if the Balance shaft gear mark and the cams ballancer gear mark are alined properly... dot to dot. I am sure you got the timing chain gear dot to dot.

Are you guys using stock rocker arms and push rods??? have you checked to see if the Valves are opening and closing properly???? do the liffters have the correct preload???

getting any codes???
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea the vid kinda sucks. stupid fan is noisy as hell. i guess i need a timing light. plugs all had the right gaps.

the triangle had like a 6 or some **** on it. i will have to look again. its what my gm manual said to align it with.

eng has balancer shaft. i told them to do away with the stupid thing as it made for a pain in the butt install. but we did however make sure to get the dots all aligned. and timing chain was dot to dot.

valve train consist of comp 224/224 525/525 on a 110 lsa, used new lifters and summit/comp cams recomended hardened push rods, and stock rockers. he wants new 1.6's later but for now stock rockers. he got a 5 angle valve job and port/polish done on the heads with comp beehive springs. plugs, wires, cap, and rotor bug are all new. when we turn motor over by hand everything looked well.

only code so far now is egr(which i turned off in tune but haven't loaded) and a code for brake light switch but its a body code and i can't clear it. i think his switch went out and he fixed it but light will be on for awhile till it clears itself. i forgot to get the new crank sensor.

i was busy test fitting a 383 ls1 into a 97 gmc pickup. fun build!!!!!

Last edited by 4.8T; 12-22-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

did you figure it out mike?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

nope but i have the crank sensor to put it. i'm going to dig out my old maf. and check the map to make sure its in correctly. oh and check for leak on the throttle body.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:51 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
but you can't adjust the distributer on this one. its locked in place. what sensor is ckp? thats crank sensor right?
Oh **** sorry, the distributor in my S10 moves like the 350's.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:30 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you set the CMP retard? The V6 spec is -5º-+17º, the V8's are + or - 2º. You need a scan tool that reads out CMP retard to set the base CMP retard.

Have you tuned for the cam?

My Vortec 350 distributer was originally not adjustable but was modified so it could be clocked to set CP retard.
if you are too far off withthe CMP retard, you will get a code.

peace
Hog
Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 PM
14 Second Truck Club

check the camshasft position sensor. It is located on the distributor if I remember correctly. I finished a 4.3 build a while back and it ran like crap, I tried the crank sensor ran great then 2 miles out the driveway shut-off and wouldn't restart. Had to walk home and get the old sensor..... popped in a new cam sensor and ran great.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:24 AM
12 Second Truck Club

cam sensor and crank sensor and distributor is all new now. i think we may have an injector problem. some of the exhaust ports are only warm to the touch after a short idle where others are very hot to the touch. i have made the basic adjustment in the tune for the cam. can't fully tune for it until it runs right.

not sure how you adjust the cmp retard and advance. I'll see if hp tuners can log it.

so far only codes are rear o2 heater which is no big deal. and the multiple cyl misfire.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 PM
13 Second Truck Club

any news?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

kinda, i told him to make sure the map sensor is not leaking air around it. he messed with it and it ran a bit better(he doesn't listen too well). i told him to put a snug fitting in the hole and run vacuum line to the map. he still hasn't done it. but after it started and ran a bit better it started clanking real bad. worse than the tick it did have. i told him it was the cats. sure enough he took them off and stuff poured out. it seems to be a bad season for cats. another guy at work with a supercharge xterra broke his cats. maybe there is a car flu going around. lol his was misfiring and all that too.

Quick Reply: fresh 4.3l won't start