INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Fresh project

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh project

hi im Blake i have a 2001 silverado with a little visual and a few motor bolt ons that i am making into a serious project (its the 4.8 ls motor in a regular cab truck) and i have heard many great things from you guys just reading around so this is where i am going to get my advice. i am not worried about the transmission because i work at a transmission shop and have already built one bad 4l60-e for this truck. i really want to know the best route to go with the motor to get the best power out of it. all of your help will be greatly appreciated! also if anyone has pics of this body style regular cab short bed with a 2/4 drop sittin on 20s... im really curious about that

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
hi im Blake i have a 2001 silverado with a little visual and a few motor bolt ons that i am making into a serious project (its the 4.8 ls motor in a regular cab truck) and i have heard many great things from you guys just reading around so this is where i am going to get my advice. i am not worried about the transmission because i work at a transmission shop and have already built one bad 4l60-e for this truck. i really want to know the best route to go with the motor to get the best power out of it. all of your help will be greatly appreciated! also if anyone has pics of this body style regular cab short bed with a 2/4 drop sittin on 20s... im really curious about that

Welcome! Nice looking truck. Looks clean under the hood. Before anyone can give you advice they probably need to know some things. What are your goals as far as power? How much money are you wanting to throw into this motor? Do you want to stay N/A or go forced induction. I just posted some pictures of my 3/6 drop here--> https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=419302
Rob

Last edited by Silverad04; 06-24-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

i plan on hitting 450 rwhp really is what i want and it will be a pretty much everyday driver. if i have to do forced induction i will but i dont want to put every penny i make into this motor just yet.
that drop looks great on your truck!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Welcome. That is a very sharp looking truck ya have there, nice job!

450rwhp out of a 4.8L. Easily done, let the forced induction books and threads be your guide. As of right now you're looking to double your rear wheel horsepower, which is well within the parameters of this forum. I know everyone and their brother is going to start yelling at you to swap in a 6.0L, but let me ask you this. What would you rather do? Swap in a $1000-XXXXX? dollar 6.0L and then still be shy of 450rwhp, so add another $2-3000 onto a forced induction setup, or would you rather just bolt on an FI setup and be done with it with your current motor? 450rwhp out of a 6.0L is not going to be a friendly motor if this is your daily driver because that's a 515hp 6.0L you'll need. Can it be done? You bet. But at the expense of a great many things that makes a daily driver a daily.

Look into forced induction and get back to us. You wont have to change a darn thing on the current motor you have right now except for the injectors. Leave your stock camshaft alone if you want, and every other piece on the motor. Really, the only thing you'll need to remove is the K&N FIPK ya got there and get ready for tubing coming from the intercooler.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

i really do appreciate that advice i was thinking along those lines but i wasnt shure what all i would need to make it there. i am going to look into the forced induction but i was curious first (this may start a long argument but...) turbo or super charger??
Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

It's up to you really whether to go with a supercharger or turbocharger. The decision should be made based upon a few criteria, including (but not only) price for the setup, the amount of boost to be had, the efficiency of the setup, the longevity of parts and ease of install, along with reviews from other V8 truck guys who have run either or; or even better yet both - in the way of converting from one to the other type for example.

Most of the converters lean towards turbochargers, switching from superchargers. Though superchargers can make a good deal of power, they typically not as efficient as your typical turbocharger so the end result is more heat in the compressed air going into the motor. More heat means less boost potential which means less power and a greater chance of blowing a piston apart. I'll tell ya what though. Already you're going to need 12 pounds of boost to make your goal of 450rwhp, which is leaning more towards the capabilities of a turbocharger already. Assuming you'll have an intercooler in the plumbing somewhere, 12lbs of boost at the throttle body (13-14lbs boost at the compressor outlet since a typical intercooler sucks up 1-2lbs of boost) will get you very close to 510 flywheel horsepower, on the conservative side. Considering these LSx motors are rather happy with boost I'd say even 10psi would get you up to your goal if all the bugs are worked out right.

Whichever type of compressor you choose is your choice, I'd personally hit the turbo road and be able to crank up the boost with a simple dial switch, rather than having to change pullies every time you want to change a supercharger's boost amount. Power on demand, a great concept.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

do you know the best turbo system to get the job done?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Search around for what the guys are using in the forced induction forums on this site to get a feel of what works and what has been tried before on the trucks. Or better yet call Garrett and see what they recommend. You could sit and view hundreds of compressor maps to see where your points fall on aftermarket turbochargers but what you're looking for may not be what I am looking for in a turbo. It all depends on where you want the biggest increase in power.